Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 May 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2876685)   #451
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, in 2003 it was.
The only ever win of his career I think.
Old 11 May 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2878820)   #452
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the newest thread from the remaining ChampCar forum still asks "Katherine Legge?", I remember said driver was working on something prior to the beginning of this season. I had hoped we would see her try to make it into the Indy 500 this year. That does not seem to be the case now when looking at the entry list. So what is she up to now? Has she even been at the wheel of a racing car this year so far?

And what about Jacques Lazier? Mario Moraes? Nelson Philippe?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2879048)   #453
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She was mentioned on the DTM coverage a few weeks ago. I think they said she was back in the states, tried to sort out a 500 deal but hadn't managed but was hopeful for some later races. Well, that was what Andrew Marriott said, at least. I'd be really surprised if she's raced anything yet this year. I also think she'll struggle to get a ride. The market is cornered on foreign female drivers and while she's reasonably talented she isn't anything special. Besides, her stakes can't be that high after achieving sweet F All for the last four seasons.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2879056)   #454
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
As the newest thread from the remaining ChampCar forum still asks "Katherine Legge?", I remember said driver was working on something prior to the beginning of this season. I had hoped we would see her try to make it into the Indy 500 this year. That does not seem to be the case now when looking at the entry list. So what is she up to now? Has she even been at the wheel of a racing car this year so far?

And what about Jacques Lazier? Mario Moraes? Nelson Philippe?
I know she moved back to indianapolis after she couldn't make it in the DTM and had thought about pursuing a ride, but I haven't heard anymore than that.

She is a very gritty determined driver whose commitment overcame a lot of challenges but I don't think she'll ever be top drawer cause she can't explain what the car is doing to engineers and isn't consistent and sharp with her driving at all. She might be able to turn a fast lap sometimes, but then can't repeat it or have the recall to do so or explain how she even did it.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2879562)   #455
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's all about money. Fisher or any midpack team would surely field her if she managed to pay the bills.
Old 30 May 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2888010)   #456
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday during the coverage of the Indy 500 on Sky Sport Italia, the journalist said that Giorgio Pantano is very close to make a deal with Newman Haas to replace Hinchcliffe on the road courses...somebody heard something in the USA? Is it true or is it the usual boutade of the Pantano's entourage?
Old 30 May 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2888015)   #457
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt think Newman Haas had a program beyond Indy?

Does Mr Pantano bring sponsorship to this reported deal?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 May 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2888020)   #458
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If thats true then that sucks balls big time!!! Hinch is one of the best things to happen to Indy in a long time, so chucking in a driver to Pantano would just suck!
Old 30 May 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2888088)   #459
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was interesting to see that CDW had replaced Telemundo on the side of the Servia #2 on raceday
Old 30 May 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2888152)   #460
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hinch's deal extends to every race except Motegi. Sprott is a Toronto based Wealth Management company that Hinch landed, not N/H/L, so there is no way Pantano is taking that seat unless he brings a bigger cheque.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2888158)   #461
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless Pantano's replacing Servia?
Old 30 May 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2888168)   #462
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Unless Pantano's replacing Servia?
The italian journalist talk about Hinchcliffe, not Servia...
Old 30 May 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2888322)   #463
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Hinch's deal extends to every race except Motegi. Sprott is a Toronto based Wealth Management company that Hinch landed, not N/H/L, so there is no way Pantano is taking that seat unless he brings a bigger cheque.
Just slightly off subject, what's happening with Motegi?
Old 30 May 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2888338)   #464
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a little strange to see CDW on the side, and no visible Telemundo badging. You'd think they'd want some representation at the biggest race of the year, but CDW clearly out-spent them to get on the side.

It would be cool to see CDW sponsorship back in open-wheel, and as an addition to the existing Telemundo sponsorship could help bring Newman/Haas back to their rightful place at the front of the grid. This is partly wishful thinking, as it's likely not too terribly big money anyways, but the team is climbing the ladder.

Chris
Old 30 May 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2888361)   #465
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano is not a bad driver, but he's no better than Hinchcliffe, so unless he brings a big paycheck, no need to replace the Hinch. Furthermore, Hinchliffe is a cool guy, we fits with Indycar, so I hope he sticks around a few years.
Old 30 May 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2888398)   #466
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Daisy about Pantano, he is certainly good enough to run at the sharp end, just hope its not at the expence of one of Hinch or Servia.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2889649)   #467
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just slightly off subject, what's happening with Motegi?
Until Randy opens his mouth, I wouldn't believe anything. That's because the decision will be taken more by the Japanese than by the Hoosiers. And no IndyCar journalist has reliable sources in Japan.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2889716)   #468
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Until Randy opens his mouth, I wouldn't believe anything. That's because the decision will be taken more by the Japanese than by the Hoosiers. And no IndyCar journalist has reliable sources in Japan.
Fairenough.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2889785)   #469
Yannick
Veteran

After this year's Indy 500 (my what a great race this was!), there several one-off entries have shown that they deserve more starts this season.

-The most obvious one is the winner Dan Wheldon with Bryan Herta Autosport / Curb / Agajanian / Schmidt, #98. This team has been solid all month and took a deserved win. It's been the first time a one-off starter won the Indy 500 since how long? I guess pretty long. William Rast should better think again about the question if there are other markets on the IndyCar Series calendar that they are interested in. I remember when this sponsor was on the 2nd car of Vision Racing, they did more events than just the flagship event. I mean, the old saying goes "never change a winning team".

-Another one would be the 2nd Panther Racing entry, the #44 of Buddy Rice who coached the almost-winner JR Hildebrand through rookie orientation and helped Panther Racing get back to where it belongs: to the front. Buddy made it into the Top 9 Qualifying, which his team mate did not. And last year when Fuzzy Zoeller sponsored the 2nd Panther car as well, he also added a few other ovals to the schedule. Yet, no different than last year, the 2nd Panther car faded to something like 18th place at one time in the race. Last year it was a botched pit stop. Was that the reason this year, too? Please bring back Buddy Rice at least for Kentucky Speedway!

-The 3rd candidate is the 2nd Sam Schmidt entry of Townsend Bell, #99. For me, Townsend was the surprise of the month. Whereas in past years, he has been strong in the race only, this year, he was strong all month. A mistake by him and his spotter cost him a good finish but just look at how good a team Sam Schmidt Motorsports is. They deserve to have a 2nd car on the grid to help them beat the Big Three. At least bring back Townsend for Mid-Ohio. The FAZZT (now Schmidt) car was so good there last year. If they have 2 cars there, it would surely help the team win it this year. Yet, I believe the Herbalife livery of past years looked prettier than this year's.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2889795)   #470
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The aftermath of that earthquake surely left the local economy in trouble over there in Japan. So ticket sales will be less than in previous years. Does anybody know what's going on with Formula Nippon? That should give an impression if there might be enough demand for tickets for IndyCar.
However, there are other factors to be considered, too: Is it safe for the fans to travel into the area? We don't know about how much of the infrastructure has been destroyed. The track is OK but to watch the race you would have to get there. We don't know about radiation levels either. It's just scary that the Japanese government keeps raising standards whilst the radioactive contamination in the Fukushima prefecture continues. Who knows where the wind may blow? Motegi is in a neighboring prefecture.
HVM Racing better look for a new sponsor for that race because "Nuclear Clean Air Energy" could be viewed as cynicism at the Japanese Indy.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2890407)   #471
marcostraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
After this year's Indy 500 (my what a great race this was!), there several one-off entries have shown that they deserve more starts this season.

-The most obvious one is the winner Dan Wheldon with Bryan Herta Autosport / Curb / Agajanian / Schmidt, #98. This team has been solid all month and took a deserved win. It's been the first time a one-off starter won the Indy 500 since how long? I guess pretty long. William Rast should better think again about the question if there are other markets on the IndyCar Series calendar that they are interested in. I remember when this sponsor was on the 2nd car of Vision Racing, they did more events than just the flagship event. I mean, the old saying goes "never change a winning team".

-Another one would be the 2nd Panther Racing entry, the #44 of Buddy Rice who coached the almost-winner JR Hildebrand through rookie orientation and helped Panther Racing get back to where it belongs: to the front. Buddy made it into the Top 9 Qualifying, which his team mate did not. And last year when Fuzzy Zoeller sponsored the 2nd Panther car as well, he also added a few other ovals to the schedule. Yet, no different than last year, the 2nd Panther car faded to something like 18th place at one time in the race. Last year it was a botched pit stop. Was that the reason this year, too? Please bring back Buddy Rice at least for Kentucky Speedway!

-The 3rd candidate is the 2nd Sam Schmidt entry of Townsend Bell, #99. For me, Townsend was the surprise of the month. Whereas in past years, he has been strong in the race only, this year, he was strong all month. A mistake by him and his spotter cost him a good finish but just look at how good a team Sam Schmidt Motorsports is. They deserve to have a 2nd car on the grid to help them beat the Big Three. At least bring back Townsend for Mid-Ohio. The FAZZT (now Schmidt) car was so good there last year. If they have 2 cars there, it would surely help the team win it this year. Yet, I believe the Herbalife livery of past years looked prettier than this year's.
I think that the only-Indy entry that deserve more races (after #98, off course) is #30...Baguette is a very good driver, and I think that the natural series for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing is the IndyCar...
Old 3 Jun 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2890471)   #472
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, The Japan race is going ahead as planned but instead of the oval it will be the 14 turn road course (meaning of course if there is rain this time around the indycars just need to put on the wets!)
Old 3 Jun 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2890473)   #473
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was just about to post that!

http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod...n-road-course/
Old 3 Jun 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2890496)   #474
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's good news but the begining of article says,

"The IZOD IndyCar Series will utilize the 2.98-mile, 14-turn natural-terrain road course during its final visit to the Twin Ring Motegi motorsports facility in Japan on Sept. 18."

So I pressume Motegi will not be on next season's calendar?
Old 3 Jun 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2890501)   #475
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's good news but the begining of article says,

"The IZOD IndyCar Series will utilize the 2.98-mile, 14-turn natural-terrain road course during its final visit to the Twin Ring Motegi motorsports facility in Japan on Sept. 18."

So I pressume Motegi will not be on next season's calendar?

No...it was announced earlier this year that the 2011 Motegi race would be the last IndyCar visit.

I see Katherine Legge is hinting on her Facebook page that she will be making her IndyCar debut soon...