Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3388230)   #451
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
I would like to see IndyCar and F1 on the same weekend there...
Be interesting to see how the lap times compared, the Indy Cars have larger capacity 2.2 litre turbo engines producing up to 700 bhp and are now almost the same weight. 1545 - 1575 lbs i.e. 702 - 716 kgs.
They also have ground effect bigger rims wider tyres and don't have to carry around KERS and a bunch of batteries.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3388254)   #452
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That would never happen - there just wouldn't be enough space in the paddock to park all the egos.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3398232)   #453
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Long Beach GP for F1 cars is off the agenda until after 2018 as the city council have agreed to keep Indycar until then with options for up to another 2 years.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113640

That takes one of the balls out of Bernie's court in terms of negociations with Montreal and I am not aware of any other GP's in North America. Perhaps a Mexican GP will appear shortly as another alternative.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3398251)   #454
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
To make. Long Beach suitable for F1 would take massive changes, to the track, possibly another Tilke screw up. Leave it as it is now, it used to be a fine F1 track, but so was Zandvoort.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3400062)   #455
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Azerbaijan has got the European GP...?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113709
Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3400065)   #456
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I didn't think Azerbaijan was technically in Europe, but having won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011, must give them the edge, .
Old 30 Apr 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3400080)   #457
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I didn't think Azerbaijan was technically in Europe, but having won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011, must give them the edge, .
I think they're 'officially' at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Western Asia, so I suppose could go either way

I don't like the 'European GP' name, it's very bland and tells you nothing of the place except that it's inside a geographically vast area.

Azerbaijan borders the Caspian Sea, so the 'Caspian Grand Prix' could be used, I think it sounds pretty good.
Why Valencia didn't use the 'Mediterranean Grand Prix' name I'll never know, or when Germany had two races why the Nurburgring didn't use the name 'Grand Prix of the Rhine' or something (not sure exactly how close the track is to the river but I know the track is the the Rhineland-Palatinate region of Germany so it must be close-ish).

Those names are more evocative and interesting than the 'European Grand Prix'...
Old 1 May 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3400192)   #458
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Azerbaijan?... Azer-FREAKIN'-baijan ?!!!!

Okay.... that's it!!! I want my F1 back!!!

Get in that box, Bernie... get in RIGHT NOW!!!
Old 1 May 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3400194)   #459
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think they're 'officially' at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Western Asia, so I suppose could go either way

I don't like the 'European GP' name, it's very bland and tells you nothing of the place except that it's inside a geographically vast area.

Azerbaijan borders the Caspian Sea, so the 'Caspian Grand Prix' could be used, I think it sounds pretty good.
Why Valencia didn't use the 'Mediterranean Grand Prix' name I'll never know, or when Germany had two races why the Nurburgring didn't use the name 'Grand Prix of the Rhine' or something (not sure exactly how close the track is to the river but I know the track is the the Rhineland-Palatinate region of Germany so it must be close-ish).

Those names are more evocative and interesting than the 'European Grand Prix'...
I was trying to think of where I had heard Caspian before because it sounded so familiar then I remembered 'Prince Caspian' was a character and title in one the Narnia series of book by CS Lewis....
So the Caspian Grand Prix of Baku (or Azerbaijan) sounds pretty good to me.

Why doesn't the FIA and Bernie think of this sort of thing? No imagination, too busy counting money and keeping the books balanced.....
Old 1 May 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3400208)   #460
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The "European GP" name is attractive in order to fool the F1 fans into thinking that this is not another middle-eastern oil exporting banana republic GP (but it is).
Old 1 May 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3400211)   #461
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I was trying to think of where I had heard Caspian before because it sounded so familiar then I remembered 'Prince Caspian' was a character and title in one the Narnia series of book by CS Lewis....
So the Caspian Grand Prix of Baku (or Azerbaijan) sounds pretty good to me.

Why doesn't the FIA and Bernie think of this sort of thing? No imagination, too busy counting money and keeping the books balanced.....
Oh, I don't know. I think Bernie's been trying to hold on to the one ring for far too long and it's clouded his judgement.

CS Lewis was a friend and contemporary of JRR Tolkien... just saying.
Old 1 May 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3400239)   #462
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In some ways a GP in Azerbaijan is highly approprite for the current state of how F1 is run .......

............a link up between dodgy promotor and country.
Old 1 May 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3400463)   #463
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
In some ways a GP in Azerbaijan is highly approprite for the current state of how F1 is run .......

............a link up between dodgy promotor and country.
. Unfortunately it doesn't help F1 in the long run.
Old 1 May 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3400469)   #464
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Bernie says F1 should be heading back to India in 2015 once they fulfil their contract (pay the money).

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...e-2015-return/

I suspect those in F1 are looking forward to more Delhi belly.

Argentina seem to want a GP too according to their tourism minister. Bernie Eccelstone would be happy to have an Argentina GP as well.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27894.html

I wonder is Bernie in the process of trying to drag the last few $$$$$ out of somebody for a race somewhere at the moment? He usually says he has other countries he run GP's in when try to do a deal.

Last edited by wolfhound; 1 May 2014 at 18:16.
Old 1 May 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3400486)   #465
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A Long Beach GP for F1 cars is off the agenda until after 2018 as the city council have agreed to keep Indycar until then with options for up to another 2 years.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113640

That takes one of the balls out of Bernie's court in terms of negociations with Montreal and I am not aware of any other GP's in North America. Perhaps a Mexican GP will appear shortly as another alternative.
The silly thing is that we all know there are countless venues in NA that could be made suitable for F1 without too much hassle and that would also present the cars in the right environment and 'light'.

Christ, Sebring with a proper tarmac surface would be mega!
Barber Park?
I still think the Glen would be the best place to modify, gently.

But....
Old 2 May 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3400912)   #466
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The silly thing is that we all know there are countless venues in NA that could be made suitable for F1 without too much hassle and that would also present the cars in the right environment and 'light'.

Christ, Sebring with a proper tarmac surface would be mega!
Barber Park?
I still think the Glen would be the best place to modify, gently.

But....
No no no, don't let F1 near any US venue, they will just ruin the circuit with all the "necessary modifications".

Look what F1 did to Mt Fuji, destroyed.
Old 2 May 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3400922)   #467
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
No no no, don't let F1 near any US venue, they will just ruin the circuit with all the "necessary modifications".

And all that before you've even paid Bernie his fee, for the privilege of holding the race.
Old 5 May 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3402390)   #468
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Well, it wasn't suitable to begin with... Maybe in the future, Toyota will just sell it and modify it to its former glory.

Now for Azerbaijan... Is Bernie's greed is OVER 9000? Seriously, he might take F1 to the moon!
Old 5 May 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3402396)   #469
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
How did Bernie pull that off he has managed to shunt Azerbaijan into Europe. My understanding was that Europe was west of the Ural mountains and north ot the Caucuses and a recent browse through a couple of atlas confirms this. I suspect Bernie wants another European GP for other reasons so he just moved Azerbaijan into Europe.
Old 5 May 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3402464)   #470
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
How did Bernie pull that off he has managed to shunt Azerbaijan into Europe. My understanding was that Europe was west of the Ural mountains and north ot the Caucuses and a recent browse through a couple of atlas confirms this. I suspect Bernie wants another European GP for other reasons so he just moved Azerbaijan into Europe.
To be fair Azerbaijan does compete as a European nation in football and athletics already, so there is precedent.
Old 5 May 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3402500)   #471
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
To be fair Azerbaijan does compete as a European nation in football and athletics already, so there is precedent.
And they won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011.
Old 9 May 2014, 05:16 (Ref:3403989)   #472
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I heard that Korea is being replaced by Azerbaijan for 2015, is that correct?

You know what, I think the government should force Bernie to pay them back and demolish those Tilkedromes. But then again, demolishing a former Grand Prix circuit costs more money.
Old 9 May 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3404028)   #473
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
And they won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011.
Mozambique was at the Commonwealth Games, seriously!
Old 9 May 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3404093)   #474
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Mozambique was at the Commonwealth Games, seriously!
Yeah, because it's a member of the Commonwealth
Old 9 May 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3404097)   #475
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please keep F1 on the Tejas Walmart parking lot so they don't ruin any of the great American circuits like they've done in Europe.