Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jun 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3085208)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
James, most of the rolling roads I have heard talk of in Norwich are into more modern stuff, that is why most of us trundle over to see Peter. You could talk to a Guy called Clive Atthowe on Salhouse Road, Norwich. If you google his name it will bring up contact details. Also SCA Race & Rally on the west side of the city have a road but don't know who mans it for them.

There may be someone in Lowestoft, but that is in Suffolk so wouldn't know any specifics....

Are you having a cycling holiday?
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3085279)   #27
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I thought you were in enough trouble
No Iain, she sees it my way now ... it's you that's in trouble (!) http://tentenths.com/forum/images/smilies/badmood.gif
... and I didn't know that you'd crashed into her! I'm sure she'll have forgotten by the time she sees you at Snett...

Mike ... the bikes are on the rack ... and i am ASSURED that Suffolk really is flat ... but I'll be checking the contours myself this time!

Thanks for the tips, will see if we can book in somewhere.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 05:38 (Ref:3085432)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Ipswich isn't that far from Lowestoft- does anyone know of a rolling road there?

We need input from someone that side of the border. Any thoughts, Robyn?

Old 5 Jun 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3085625)   #29
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone mention my name?

Rolling roads in Ipswich? The only one i know of is this place,

http://www.isuffolk.co.uk/profile/22...ance-Services/

I've never used them myself,so don't take this as a recommendation.

I always say that tools/equipment are only as good as the people using/operating them.

People say Suffolk is flat, they must of missed the area where i live,its certainly not flat around here.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3085709)   #30
jlittlejohn
Rookie

jlittlejohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would anyone be able to tell me where I could find an entry list? It has not been uploaded onto the HSCC website yet...
Old 5 Jun 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3085759)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlittlejohn View Post
Would anyone be able to tell me where I could find an entry list? It has not been uploaded onto the HSCC website yet...

Would appear Terence has seen one but as he is 'working' during the w/end guess he has advance info....

There is an extra entry for the support races as I have just put mine in for FF2000 x 2 on Sunday. (Yes Alan- one extra for chippy order, please ) Will probably be made to look a right numpty by all the regulars, but what the heck! Just got to get the fractured wing post welded up and re-assemble oil the dry sump tank bits.... Reckon the rusty brake discs will soon sort themselves out!

Old 6 Jun 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3086404)   #32
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had to pull the entry for the 3 hour due to a chronic wheel shortage, very disappointed. So nearly there......

I have a Friday pm test session booked if anyone can use it.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3086490)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a shame Colin,was looking forward to seeing you out there.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3086527)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
I've had to pull the entry for the 3 hour due to a chronic wheel shortage, very disappointed. So nearly there......

I have a Friday pm test session booked if anyone can use it.
Really sorry to hear car won't be starting, Colin. Looks like Saturday should be dry and had a demon pit stop strategy all worked out.

Forecast for Sunday not so good- wonder if BMTR will be bringing any spare wets....
Old 7 Jun 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3086743)   #35
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC has the entry list on there site But it's last years entry list June 2011.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3086948)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jag finnished but no wheels.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	37239.
If only we had not been let down with the wheels .She is ready to rock and "roll".Well less of the roll bit.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3087019)   #37
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a good friend running my Elva Mk8 in the 3 Hour with Joe Twyman to get some signatures on his licence as he has recently started racing again. Say hi to him.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3087355)   #38
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame the E type's not ready Colin. Why not bring out the S type in the HTC?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3087562)   #39
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was my immediate thought but domestic arrangements had already taken priority (I was told).
Old 8 Jun 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3087591)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, the weather forecast is looking better for both days- as long as the hooley currently passing through area has gone! Bits of tree everywhere....

I'm ready, car is ready- just need ticket to get in! Good old Royal Mail, reliable as always.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3088167)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that wasn't half bad was it? First day, anyway - weather was pretty good - the 3 Hour always seems to get good weather (Ooops a Murray Walker, it'll be wet next year!). Good quality grid for the 3 Hours although it could have done with more starters. Waiting for Mr Drabble to comment, as wasn't able to catch up, and I think the Merlyn only did one lap - what happened Simon?

Good to catch up with the aforementioned Mr Bell who decided he could have won it with his Gilbern because the attrition rate was high - a slight exagerration on both counts I'd say! Anyway, well done to Mr Fleming for retaining his title - interesting fact is that in 6 years running, only 3 cars have won the 3 Hours outright, and each one has done so in consecutive years. No Chevron walkover though since Ginetta G16s came 2nd and 3rd. My award for the SRB (Sports racers up to 1600cc) went to the Garside/Newall Lotus 23B - well done chaps - 8th overall, and as I was unable to present it myself, one Chris Sharples, hopefully, did the honours - thanks, Chris. Great jubilation in the Fleming camp, not only for Nick's win but also Al winning the GT class with Ian Jones in the Lotus 26R snatching the victory on the last lap which must have been a bit heartbreaking for the David Thompson/John Wolfe TVR Grantura who had the slower car up there by consistency, so a valiant effort. Brilliant effort by all. Most interesting car probably the Rawlson CR6. Anyway, enough of this. Will post some pics, although didn't take pics of all the other races because I was catching up with old friends and acquaintances!
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3088173)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I actually went to watch this!

Enjoyed the first few races, all pretty close, though grids were fairly thin.

Was disappointed with the early stages of 3 hour race!

But I am used to short oval racing where you dont put out yellows for water on the track! So I left in a huff!! Didnt know they used safety cars in this sort of stuff and ran out of patience!!

But enjoyed the early stuff
Old 9 Jun 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3088243)   #43
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You and I obviously have different definitions of good weather John - grey skies, low temperature and a strong wind do not count in my book. The only "good" part of it was the lack of rain!

I will echo your congratulations to the Flemings for their double class victory thanks to the last lap pass in the GT class.

I don't think Simon's Merlyn started as something broke in the engine during qualifying from what Marcus said over the PA at the time.

The Garside/Newall Lotus 23B which won your award should have also been given a special award for entertainment - certainly the first driver (don't know who) was chucking it into every corner with enthusiasm including seemingly taking Coram in a well held power slide every lap I saw.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3088305)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did indeed get a trophy,not for what you mentioned though.I'll leave the details to a certain other poster
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3088359)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I thought the weather was definitely OK, and although a bit blowy, I certainly didn't feel cold at all, and I normally do at Snet! I'm sure the sun came out eventually, too, or did I imagine that?

I must say, I agree about the 23B. It seemed ill handling, with sqealing tyres and lurid attitudes, or was it really just the drivers? I got the impression it needed setting up. All the more impressive that it won it's class and finished 8th overall.

I thought I saw Simon's Merlyn come round on the rolling start lap, right at the back. Anyway, great shame that it didn't run.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3088421)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Someone dumped a huge rad ful of water on the first lap, was a red thing right at the back, thats why they had pace car out, am presuming this might be the car/
Old 10 Jun 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3088552)   #47
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The day my talent ran out!

Snetterton first thing this morning was bathed in sunshine and not a breath of wind. What a difference to 2 days ago! It did eventually start to rain very gently during last race, which I think was FF so cars were running treaded tyres, at least.

A day of highs and lows for some tenthers. Our first FF2000 race was delayed due to some carnage in the By-Box saloon race immediately before, and unfortunately the car thar suffered most damage was Robyn's Anglia, which I understand rolled. Hopefully Robyn was OK.

My 15 minute qualifying for FF2000 'UK Single seater debut' found me 10th out of 19, so better than thought- and on unscrubbed tyres. Car was going well, though, so no excuses, and up to me to go quicker! That I did, knocking a full 3 seconds off in the race and finishing 8th plus first Delta home. Well pleased with that.

Grid for second race was on results of first, so nearer the front. I do enjoy standing starts and got a good one, ending lap 1 in 6th and 'in the pack' of Reynards that tend to dominate the sharp end of the field. Unfortunately that was it, as while downchanging for esses on lap 2 I fluffed the change and momentarily locked the rear wheels in mid corner. That spun the car and it nosed into the barrier on left, which is close to circuit. This removed nosecone and radiator..... I was sooo cross with myself, as got out of the car I managed to fall over the rear wheel- comedy capers or what!

So a DNF and work to do to get car out for Brands. C'est la vie, as Iain would say....
Old 10 Jun 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3088577)   #48
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Al winning the GT class with Ian Jones in the Lotus 26R snatching the victory on the last lap which must have been a bit heartbreaking for the David Thompson/John Wolfe TVR Grantura who had the slower car up there by consistency, so a valiant effort. Brilliant effort by all.
Our first 3 hour race in my Grantura and we had a great time. It was quite emotional on the pit wall to loose the GT win on the last lap - by 3 seconds- if only the last safety car period had been shorter as we were a whole lap ahead of the Elan but it managed to make all but 26 seconds of that up under the pace car while we were trundling around behind Terry. Despite Jon's valiant efforts he just couldn't prevent the inevitable. Still I reckon we did pretty well - second GT car home, 10th overall and all powered by an MGB engine. Some very kind words from Marcus Pye during the presentation.

Undoubtedly we were helped by other's problems but the Grantura ran faultlessly throughout and Jon's final stint was epic. Thanks to Kev, Jo, Martyn and Rob our pit crew, who would have put a Formula 1 team to shame and greatly contributed to our result.

A great race, good company and some new friends made. Thanks to all who we met and gave encouragement throughout.

Can't wait for next year!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3088604)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That is a great result, Dave, and proves the point that consistent lapping and keeping out of pits is paramount. SC periods can work for you or against you- sadly sounds as if the latter in your case- this time.

Old 10 Jun 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3088675)   #50
Nick Fleming
Rookie

Nick Fleming should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utterly delighted with the 3hr result as I'm sure you can imagine! The Ginetta's kept me honest right till the end. Just wanted to say thanks for the kind comments JT though and to echo Graham White's point at the end about the commaderie in parc ferme after the race. Seemed a great race all round. From my point of view it was the MGB's and a particular Jag E-Type that seemed completely hooked up over the race distance but I doubt it was a boring race for anyone with all the safety cars. I'd imagine it was Andy Newall in the 23B that was wringing its neck but he was doing it without a clutch for most of the race. Also thanks to all who gave me plenty of room as I came past but a hearty well done to all the marshalls that should now own shares in cement manufacture companies for their efforts dealing with a particularly bad day for 'oil on track'.

Feel sorry for Simon not even getting to the race, I'm sure he'll explain what went wrong. But hope your lad faired better at Rockingham.

Roll on Brands Hatch...