Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2608826)   #26
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Imagine how 'nice' the Caltex Corollas built by the same group would have been? At least one of them were 'ratted' to the bare shell to knock up the Lantras.... by Mr Bond & co
And was found to have 6 reverse and one forward gear once it was completed!

The Engine location in the Hundee Yundee biegn opposite caused the confusion and the Xtrac gearbox was pulled straight from the Corolla.

The fix, make the engine run backwards using a Honda Starter and new Camshafts!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2608839)   #27
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
And was found to have 6 reverse and one forward gear once it was completed!

The Engine location in the Hundee Yundee biegn opposite caused the confusion and the Xtrac gearbox was pulled straight from the Corolla.

The fix, make the engine run backwards using a Honda Starter and new Camshafts!
thats not possible........
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2608842)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
thats not possible........
It sure is possible, because it happened.... they had to get the engine to turn counter to its design... as rdmdog suggests...

That's why there are only 2 of them in the world... neither did anything spectacular...

Mr Full crashed the original one at Bathurst didnt he?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2608849)   #29
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Bev, Did you forget to add a ?

Just make sure you have a good stock of starter motors!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2608853)   #30
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
It sure is possible, because it happened.... they had to get the engine to turn counter to its design... as rdmdog suggests...

That's why there are only 2 of them in the world... neither did anything spectacular...

Mr Full crashed the original one at Bathurst didnt he?
I'm having a hard time trying to work out how that worked. What car did the gearbox come from?

yup they were pretty much at the back of the grid but what do u expect when u trying to run them off a $5 budget.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2608855)   #31
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Xtrak Sequential 6 Speed racing box, the original one from the Caltex Corolla.

The engine was on the other side of the car, meaning the shaft direction was swapped when the gearbox location was horizontally reversed.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2608859)   #32
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Bev, Did you forget to add a ?

Just make sure you have a good stock of starter motors!
no i'm serious.... i'm curious how this actually worked..... what model corolla did the gearbox come from?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2608862)   #33
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Xtrak Sequential 6 Speed racing box, the original one from the Caltex Corolla.

The engine was on the other side of the car, meaning the shaft direction was swapped when the gearbox location was horizontally reversed.
are u talking about the 1st lantra that was converted?????
so if the engine was on the otherside in the corolla, did they just turn the gearbox around cos the engine in the lantra was on the other side?
how are the driveshafts still behind the engine then? or am i thinking about this all the wrong way?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2608874)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The gearbox was a custom made Xtrac racing gearbox, like a Holinger is for a BMW SuperTourer, and as used in various Vauxhall Cavaliers and Vectras and the like.

So not a road going gearbox variant at all.

If you can imagine a regular car, if the engine turns clockwise when you look at it from the front, the car has 4/5/6 forward gears and a reverse gear. If you replace the engine, and the replacement turns counterclockwise, the car then has one forward gear and 4/5/6 reverse gears....

The original build was a multi million dollar affair... the team bought the Ampol Max 3/Car Trek transporter of Bob Jones, hired plenty of promo people... and got Bondy to build the cars.

They are in the great race book somewhere
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2608878)   #35
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
The gearbox was a custom made Xtrac racing gearbox, like a Holinger is for a BMW SuperTourer, and as used in various Vauxhall Cavaliers and Vectras and the like.

So not a road going gearbox variant at all.

If you can imagine a regular car, if the engine turns clockwise when you look at it from the front, the car has 4/5/6 forward gears and a reverse gear. If you replace the engine, and the replacement turns counterclockwise, the car then has one forward gear and 4/5/6 reverse gears....

The original build was a multi million dollar affair... the team bought the Ampol Max 3/Car Trek transporter of Bob Jones, hired plenty of promo people... and got Bondy to build the cars.

Im well aware what and who XTRAC are. i wasnt asking that or was under the impression it was the same gearbox that the road going car uses.

What u explained makes perfect sense yes if it was just the engine which turned counterclockwise, but the gearbox still wouldnt work when the engine is not on the drivers side anymore but now on the passenger side.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2609180)   #36
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
just to bring this back up... did I misunderstand all that was said and that the engine was in the same place as the corolla but it turned anticlockwise compared with the corolla which turned clockwise?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2609183)   #37
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Testing my memory, but I think standard road car Hyundais (at the time at least) had the engine on the opposite side of the engine bay (as did small FWD Mitsubishis, who supplied the engines to Hyundai at the time) and as this was the case, a standard Hyundai (and Mitsubishi) uses a differing transmission design to turn the shafts the correct way as compared top most FWD cars. Either that or the standard Mitsu engine runs opposite.

I'm pretty sure the engine was in the standard location for the Hyundai. & the transmission was differing in location/direction, but the same in design/operation to the Corolla, meaning the shafts were turning opposite (until the engine rotation direction was modified) to the hubs.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2609188)   #38
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!

How do you fit that gearbox to a 4AGE in a corolla? you can turn the gearbox around so its sitting on the passenger side, thats easy...but then the drive shafts are running in front of the engine.....did they run like this in the corolla?
Further that, the engine still turns clockwise like the standard one. notice which engine it is as well?

Last edited by Bevan-L; 7 Jan 2010 at 01:29.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2609199)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

This is a 1999 Corolla SX road car, complete with 4AGE. Note the engine has its cam gear on the left, and the gearbox on the right, the exact opposite to the Hyundai pic you showed above...
Old 7 Jan 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2609200)   #40
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Note the engine has its cam gear on the left, and the gearbox on the right, the exact opposite to the Hyundai pic you showed above...
thats my point!

Put both pics next to each other and imagine swapping the gearboxes over... Do you see a problem? forget about the driving or the way the engine turns.....

Last edited by Bevan-L; 7 Jan 2010 at 01:55.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 05:07 (Ref:2609239)   #41
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
hmmm guess thats the end of this now......
Old 7 Jan 2010, 07:14 (Ref:2609277)   #42
SamDale
Racer

SamDale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Are you racing this year?
Hi Bevan, yes, I'm just finishing putting my F4000 back together to run in Formula Tasman.

Good luck with the rebuild! Let me know if you get stuck with anything, we've had a fair bit to do with various Super Tourers over the years!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2609279)   #43
SamDale
Racer

SamDale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, and on the gearbox front, from your photo, it looks unlikely that that gearbox was used on the other side. Not impossible though, if you were somehow able to rotate it on the bellhousing/adaptor plate (or use a different section, as most of the XTracs are somewhat modular), you could end up with the driveshafts running behind the engine.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2609302)   #44
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDale View Post
Oh, and on the gearbox front, from your photo, it looks unlikely that that gearbox was used on the other side. Not impossible though, if you were somehow able to rotate it on the bellhousing/adaptor plate (or use a different section, as most of the XTracs are somewhat modular), you could end up with the driveshafts running behind the engine.
awesome hope all goes well with the F4000... will have to come out when next at Eastern Creek or if you guys run at Wakefield....

Thanks will def give you guys a ring for info... infact i already have 1 question.. where did you source 19" slick tyres from hahaha

I had a look at the gearbox to to see what all this was about... the bellhousing is all one piece with no adaptor plate... from what i can see it doesnt look like it can be rotated either which is what I thought they may have done... anyways..... enough about the damn gearbox... somehow managed to turn a thread about pics into where gearboxes were from..

Anyways... will get in contact with you in the future.. and hopefully see you in the series soon
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2733743)   #45
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:

Well the rebuild is coming along nicely, just having completely rewired the car. At least now its how race cars should be wired, not what bush mechanics would have done.. (im surprised the car never went up in flames from an electrical fault)

Its interesting you mention how the program was a multi million dollar affair... If I look at the car and the original 2l one I struggle to see how it was spent.... The only conclusion i can come to is that it was a multi million dollar affair..... but it all landed up in someones pocket instead?

Don't get me wrong, yes the car is not in the same league as what came out of Europe from the likes of RML,888,Volvo, Audi etc not even close! But it hasn't stopped me tho in at least getting the car back to where it should be and working from there.... I have far greater plans for why I'm doing this all rather than just for the sake of driving it...

Its just a shame tho that if that was in fact the sorta numbers given for the project, that it hasn't been spent on the cars...
Might also explain Hyundai's reluctance to get involved in anything locally too??

Maybe someone could ask Paul Pickett if he knows??? oh wait he's in jail isn't he???
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2733751)   #46
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think GTR was talking about the Caltex Corolla outfit, not the Hyundai effort when referring to the millions of dollars. The Corollas were the AE92 Secas (in order to meet the minimum length requirement for ST) and basically unique in the world of ST. They debuted in 1992 to fight the Cotter and Doulman team of converted BMW M3s. I don't think I have any posters of them though Bev
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:55 (Ref:2733752)   #47
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
I think GTR was talking about the Caltex Corolla outfit, not the Hyundai effort when referring to the millions of dollars. The Corollas were the AE92 Secas (in order to meet the minimum length requirement for ST) and basically unique in the world of ST. They debuted in 1992 to fight the Cotter and Doulman team of converted BMW M3s. I don't think I have any posters of them though Bev
Couldnt hav been for Super Tourers tho if for 1992?
Old 27 Jul 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2733767)   #48
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't referred to as Super Touring here, but run to ST regulations. Might have been 1993 actually as I was there when they raced along with the V8s....
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2733784)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bond/Caltex Corolla's ran in 1993, in the 2-litre/Super Touring class (though in 1993, the formula was FIA Class 2, 'Super Touring' as a name wasn't used anywhere until 1995). One car initially for Bond, with a second built for John Smith during the year, Smith starting the year with an old FWD 1600cc hatch.

Using Corolla bits in the Lantra's makes sense as Bond built the first one (did he built the second in '95?), and raced it in Wellington at the A/Pac round in 1994.

The Hyundai effort in late-94/95 was a pretty big effort with big plans. Hardman had Hyundai behind him
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2733793)   #50
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

The Hyundai effort in late-94/95 was a pretty big effort with big plans. Hardman had Hyundai behind him
Thats the weird thing and why I ask where the hell the plans/money went!! because they obviously never made it onto the cars???

EDIT: Are you sure there was a race in 1995 @ Wellington? I thought they skipped 95 before the final race in 96?