Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3107948)   #26
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with the "its as expensive as you make it sentiment", you can pick and choose which races and championships you take part in, theres no one saying you have to do the full championship or series, or testing even.
A lot of people throw money at the car in an attempt to go quicker instead of actually thinking about their driving and improving that instead.

i just look at the cost as a series of small holidays!

i drive my racecar to the events as my licence doesnt cover me for trailering, which suits me to be honest because id incur extra expense to be able trailer the car, id have to do the upgrade licence test, buy the trailer and a suitable tow vehicle (current car isnt up to the job), plus the drive isnt big enough for a trailer, so would probably need to pay for storage, plus peoples trailers (& race cars) seem to get stolen very frequently, so would need to get a tracker or extra security, plus the beefier tow car would use more fuel and cost more to insure!

so can do without that hassle as well, of course having the car taxed / moted and insured does have a cost attached to it, but as a benefit after working on the car i can make sure everything is good with it before the 1st lap of qualifying!, and do practice starts in empty industrial estates for example

i pick and choose which events i race at which are normally a mix of my absolute favourite tracks and my local track, brands hatch, i normally try and do additional races at each event since a large percentage of the race weekend cost is spent in just getting to the circuits

if i do a lot of racing not only do i spend lots more money i also miss out on actually watching racing and taking photos which i enjoy just as much as actually racing

it makes me laugh when some people say they cant afford to go racing, yet they're driving around in a brand new road car, its just a choice on what you choose to spend your money on
Old 18 Jul 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3108045)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I get my motorsport fix without owning a car: I co-drive on stage rallies and generally the cost to me is the entry fee. My driver and I pick and choose which events we do based on what we can afford. There seem to be more rally drivers than co-drivers and it's possible, if you want, to be co-driving for someone different pretty much every weekend as not all drivers have a regular co-driver. Normally a driver would like a contribution towards either the entry fee or tyres/fuel and you have to buy the notes (if applicable) but it is possible to pick up rides for nothing. Once you've got your overalls and helmet you're good to go - no car costs at all
Old 18 Jul 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3108055)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Once you've got your overalls and helmet you're good to go - no car costs at all
providing you can read a map
Old 18 Jul 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3108100)   #29
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
providing you can read a map
Should also add - "without throwing up too often"

Some events you don't even need to be able to read a map - they draw you pictures
Old 18 Jul 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3108110)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Also if you have chose the right car and hang on to it long enough there could be a nice nest egg when you come to sell so at least you have something to show for it other than a wrecked liver and lung cancer.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 19:02 (Ref:3108131)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Should also add - "without throwing up too often"

Some events you don't even need to be able to read a map - they draw you pictures
I remember when I was about 14 or 15 I navigated for my brother in his Mk2 Cortina on his firm's (Stormonts) annual rally.
They provided pretty pictures for me so it was pretty easy but he insisted driving down the country lanes in NW Kent as fast as his bog standard 1600 crossflow would take us. I found the road where the first check point was supposed to be but after driving up and down it flat out for about half an hour he gave up, thumped me for getting him lost and we went home.
Monday evening he came in saying that they'd seen us driving up and down and couldn't understand why he hadn't stopped, well if he'd driven at a speed where the Doppler effect hadn't turned the countryside blue I think we'd have seen them.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3108162)   #32
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with most of the views on here....but compared to the majority of other sports, competing on a club level, yes, it is VERY expensive!
Old 18 Jul 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3108170)   #33
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
Agree with most of the views on here....but compared to the majority of other sports, competing on a club level, yes, it is VERY expensive!
But I wasn't just comparing with other sports, golf isn't cheap from what I can make out, someone on here goes scuba diving, that isn't cheap either. I was just comparing with the cost of other luxury expenses such as holidays etc and from my experience of the weekend gone it's not overly expensive compared with a few days away.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3108263)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But I wasn't just comparing with other sports, golf isn't cheap from what I can make out, someone on here goes scuba diving, that isn't cheap either..
I keep my diving equipment in Spain get a bottle pumped up for next to f all and walk down the beach and into the sea, what's dear about that !!!!
It's another sport that can be as cheap as you want it to be Tim.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jul 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3108378)   #35
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes but you have to add into the cost the price of your pad in Spain, flights out there etc. For us UK landlubbers, it is possible to practice/learn in the local swimming pool bt the excitement must pall after a while so transport costs to exotic locations need to be added into the equation.

Things like Club 100, arrive and drive karting, work out cheaper with one huge caveat...they help suck you back into the real thing. Yes, it's racing but its not quite "there" even though C100 is the closest you'll ever get. There's nothing like the buzz of your own racing machine, pitting your mechanical skills against your mates as well as your driving skills.

Last edited by midgetman; 19 Jul 2012 at 06:01.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3108475)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes but you have to add into the cost the price of your pad in Spain, flights out there etc. For us UK landlubbers, it is possible to practice/learn in the local swimming pool bt the excitement must pall after a while so transport costs to exotic locations need to be added into the equation.

Things like Club 100, arrive and drive karting, work out cheaper with one huge caveat...they help suck you back into the real thing. Yes, it's racing but its not quite "there" even though C100 is the closest you'll ever get. There's nothing like the buzz of your own racing machine, pitting your mechanical skills against your mates as well as your driving skills.
Karting's an interesting one as it runs the whole gamut from corporate indoor through Club 100 / Daytona through dad/lad clubbie stuff [with your own kit] through being run by a proper team at national/international championship level. It's as cheap/expensive and as simple/complex as you want it to be. From that perspective it's a lot more accessible and convenient compared to cars... which is why I've spent 30 years karting with only a brief foray into cars - only for me to appreciate how much better karting was
Old 19 Jul 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3108563)   #37
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes but you have to add into the cost the price of your pad in Spain, flights out there etc
I was merely pointing out the cost of scuba diving, the fact that I happen to have a place in Spain doesn't come in to it.
I could go down the field next to my house in the UK and explore the river Medway for a £3 fill up. OK I have dived at many exotic places over the years that have cost a fair bit to get to but once you are there the diving isn't expensive.
Like motor racing it can be as cheap or as dear as you want it to be !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jul 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3108599)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I could go down the field next to my house in the UK and explore the river Medway for a £3 fill up.
Rather you than me
Old 19 Jul 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3108632)   #39
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I believe the OP said he WASN'T comparing motorsport to other sports. As has been pointed out, many sports and indeed hobbies can be cheap or expensive. I have a friend who likes shopping, but her idea of a shopping trip is to pop over to New York for a weekend and visit all the famous shops. The point I believe he was making was that when you compare a weekends club motorsport to the price of a weekend doing something else interesting these days, a holiday in Devon or diving in the med say (assuming you don't own a place there!), then its not actually as expensive as everyone says it is.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3161646)   #40
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
......The point I believe he was making was that when you compare a weekends club motorsport to the price of a weekend doing something else interesting these days, a holiday in Devon or diving in the med say (assuming you don't own a place there!), then its not actually as expensive as everyone says it is.
Actually no, I take that back. After the season I've just had I think just about any other hobby must be cheaper (except maybe if it's elephant polo in Nepal). So I'm putting my wallet where my mouth is and calling it a day on motor sport. It's been a blast. Loved very nearly every minute of it. But the price of keeping up with the regs and staying on the pace gets ever higher.... and sadly the coffers are now empty. Bitter-sweet but decision made.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3161729)   #41
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think motorsport is cheap at all!

Depends what you have and what you compare it to, it certainly is not cheap if you dont have a garage, towcar or somehting to trailer it with and you live in a flat in the toxic waste pert of Hertfordshire

But if you live in a leafy suburb with a reasonable mortgage, garage, ubiquitous towcar then I am sure motorsport is relatively cheap compared to watching football, shooting, horse racing or something else!

For me to compete I would need to move house, buy a tow car, rent a garage, buy a trailer and know someone who could help! Hardly cheap I am afraid.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3161735)   #42
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mate it's up to you but it depends on what you want from your motor sport kick and life in general.

Get out there with a positive attitude and DO something it won't all in your lap. Join your local motor club. Buy an old hatchback with tax and ticket and do Autotests for twenty quid a pop, or navigational scatter rallies for under a tenner and split the costs with a mate. Perhaps graduate to 12-cars or road rallies. Stevenage? That's Rye House territory isn't it? Loads of A&D racing or graduate to Club 100. Ever tried Production Car Trialling? Brilliant fun! Who knows, you may meet someone who wants to share their car in speed events, share costs.

Motor sport is such a wide sport, there is very little excuse for not getting involved if you really want to. Don't disparage "grass roots" events, you will have just a great time with good mates. Some years back I did a Thundersaloons race at Donington, a week later I was back in Derbyshire as "bouncer" in my mate's MG Midget for a "Classic" trial, and I reckon I had more fun that weekend than at the expensive race meeting.

Don't know what those activities are? Check out www.gomotorsport.net and get out there enjoying yourself! Stop dreaming, start competing for less money than night on the beer...

Last edited by midgetman; 2 Nov 2012 at 23:27.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3161760)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Actually no, I take that back. After the season I've just had I think just about any other hobby must be cheaper (except maybe if it's elephant polo in Nepal). So I'm putting my wallet where my mouth is and calling it a day on motor sport. It's been a blast. Loved very nearly every minute of it. But the price of keeping up with the regs and staying on the pace gets ever higher.... and sadly the coffers are now empty. Bitter-sweet but decision made.
I see people drop from financial exhaustion all the time.

You can always do an arrive and drive deal to satisfy the urge if need be.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 10:49 (Ref:3161834)   #44
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been involved for far longer than I care to remember I have to say that motorsport at racing level is VERY expensive.
Rallying too, as a mate in the village here decided he couldn't do the Tour of Mull this year as it would cost over £3000 to do it - first time he's missed it for many years.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3161841)   #45
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I see people drop from financial exhaustion all the time.
You can always do an arrive and drive deal to satisfy the urge if need be.
Not just financial exhaustion.... somewhere along the line I've also lost the thrill of it. I used to enjoy going to my garage to work on the car for the next race or season. I used to get nervous the week before the race and often the night before I'd hardly sleep. I used to look forward to seeing everyone in the paddock, seeing the other cars, hearing the engines rev up. Firing up my own car used to give me goosebumps and pulling out onto a track felt like the best thing ever.

More recently though most of these things have been missing. I always said to myself: The day it stops making me nervous and excited just thinking about racing my car.... it was the day to find a new hobby. The day came.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3161930)   #46
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You will be missed.

Next year will probably be my last also. Not just the cost, but the whole scene has changed now and i just cannot forget how it used to be.

They say that you should,nt look back......

Just don,t let your licence go .......... you never know !!!

GT.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3161952)   #47
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Thank you for that kind remark Graham. As for keeping my licence... well I'm a "burn bridges" sort of person. Already sold the trailer and race suit, and everything else will follow it soon enough. Very happy to have "been there - done that" and the only looking back I'll be doing is with rose tinted glasses :-))
Old 3 Nov 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3161989)   #48
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm a "burn bridges" sort of person. Already sold the trailer and race suit, and everything else will follow it soon enough.
I could do with a transponder and some nice Dunlop wheels and tyres plus a spare engine and gearbox. I also expect them DCOE 48s wont be much good for the road
Old 3 Nov 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3162003)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
In 1974 I sold everything up that I had to do with racing, a few years later I went motocrossing for about 8 years and then after I got married and had the house sorted I went back into classic saloons picking up my old sponsors again so never say never !
Old 4 Nov 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3162151)   #50
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
I could do with a transponder and some nice Dunlop wheels and tyres plus a spare engine and gearbox. I also expect them DCOE 48s wont be much good for the road
The A048s were scrap, so they went in the bin. The Dunlop wheels have new road tyres on them and will be going on the car but the Lightweight E-type ones are spare. The wet weather tyres are on ebay ending today. Only got one bid so far so they're going real cheap if want to have a look. Transponder - done, buy me a couple of beers. The DCOE 48s need new main shafts and sorting out, but I've got the parts so will rebuild them when I get a chance. Will let you know when they're done. (Not decided what to do with the DCO 50s but they will probably go too for either some 45s or maybe throttle bodies). Spare engine needs the bearings looking at, but should be good to go.... but I thought you didn't want a 3.8 . Drop by for a chat sometime.