Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Oct 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1434004)   #26
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
It isn't live in the States either, I guess you get feed of taped broadcast?
On the Motors TV home page it clearly says the race is being shown live with coverage starting at 11pm (UK)!

But the listings suggest otherwise........
Old 14 Oct 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1434028)   #27
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tom Chilton will be qualifying for Zytek. Why?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1434055)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Tom Chilton will be qualifying for Zytek. Why?
...........because he did a 1.14.1xx

Unbelievable!
Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1434057)   #29
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
...........because he did a 1.14.1xx

Unbelievable!
Umm........
Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1434058)   #30
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1.15.6 for the RS Spyder!
Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1434060)   #31
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, unbelievable stuff from Chilton and Zytek. I'm really impressed with Chilton and thanks to Zytek for giving him his first qualifying attempt in the car.

Hats off to Penske and Porsche. Splitting the Auids!

Oh yeah, and Massen was under Minassian's pole time from last year.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1434164)   #32
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Take my hat off to Porsche ..... they have thrown a spanner in the works for LMP2 next year . But then again , I didnt expect any differant !

Wow to Chilton , I didnt think he could be as quick as Shimoda .

Cant wait for an exciting race later .....

Acemco on pole , thats twice now so no fluke and the Astons are looking a bit better than the earlier testing times .

Great stuff . Im just sad its going to be the last race
Old 15 Oct 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1434180)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
When is the race been shown on MotorsTV ? Is it at 5pm on Sunday evening ?
Old 15 Oct 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1434184)   #34
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
Qualifying predictions?

Im going for:

Shimoda - 1.14.900ish
Lucky they decided to to ask Tom to do the qualifying. No point in leaving anything to chance!!

The wrong side of 1.14.900ish could have seen the Zytek back on the 2nd row of the grid............
Old 15 Oct 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1434194)   #35
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Wow to Chilton , I didnt think he could be as quick as Shimoda .
Hmmmmm, I wouldn't be saying that just yet..........Shimoda has driven over 15 races in that car and is blisteringly quick himself. I think that if he had qualyfied there would be a 13.8.xx on the time sheets,

However the team clearly knew the car was fastest by a huge margin so gave Tom a chance - really good idea in IMO, great for his confidence!
Old 15 Oct 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1434262)   #36
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche . wow . only 1 second and a bit behind pole .. wow again . that is fast . very fast . too bad we don't have a hybrid car to compare it with .
how far behind is the Lola ??

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Oct 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1434277)   #37
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
I should think that in qualifying the Porsche will be about 1.7-2.0 seconds off Zytek. Last I heard was that Zytek were struggling to find a setup but that it is getting a little better now - they should really be in the 1.14s by qualifying.
Am I psychic or what!

Zytek get 1.14.2 and Porsche is 1.5 off (I was anticipating Shimoda qualifying so 1.7 - 2.0 would have probably been about right......... )

I still cannot understand one thing though. The Porsche and the Zytek are the same weight roughly, have the same powerplants (3.4l V8) yet the Zytek is 2.0 seconds quicker. Now some might say that the new regulation aero of the Porsche is slowing it down but then again wasn't this meant to be compensated by the old cars having restrictors and weight penalties (or are these not run in the states???????????????)

Either way for a first time effort this is very encouraging for Porsche.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1434312)   #38
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I still cannot understand one thing though. The Porsche and the Zytek are the same weight roughly, have the same powerplants (3.4l V8) yet the Zytek is 2.0 seconds quicker. Now some might say that the new regulation aero of the Porsche is slowing it down but then again wasn't this meant to be compensated by the old cars having restrictors and weight penalties (or are these not run in the states???????????????)

Either way for a first time effort this is very encouraging for Porsche.
As ever, I'm happy to be corrected when I try to answer a technical question, but my understanding of the regs would imply that the Spyder in LMP2 spec would have smaller restrictor (= less power) and narrower tyres (= less grip). Probably enough to explain the difference in lap times. As you said though, this is the Spyder's first competitive outing, there's surely more to come.....
Old 15 Oct 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1434344)   #39
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"but then again wasn't this meant to be compensated by the old cars having restrictors and weight penalties (or are these not run in the states?)"

isnt this just because the Zytek is racing in LMP1 instead now? Like Bentley03 I'm not exactly well up on the tech regs but the fact they're in different classes might possible have something to do with it...?
Old 15 Oct 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1434362)   #40
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
As ever, I'm happy to be corrected when I try to answer a technical question, but my understanding of the regs would imply that the Spyder in LMP2 spec would have smaller restrictor (= less power) and narrower tyres (= less grip). Probably enough to explain the difference in lap times. As you said though, this is the Spyder's first competitive outing, there's surely more to come.....
Do not forget the big weight difference: LMP675 have a minimum weigth of 675 kg and LMP2 of 750 kg.

I just check LMP675 and LMP2 regulation and tyres are the same.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1434367)   #41
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now some might say that the new regulation aero of the Porsche is slowing it down but then again wasn't this meant to be compensated by the old cars having restrictors and weight penalties (or are these not run in the states???????????????)
ALMS is still running the ACO regulations of 2004. So smaller rear wing (1.8 m) and smaller fuel tank (80 liter), but not the smaller restrictor and weigth penalty (675 kg and not 720 kg like in LMES).
Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1434559)   #42
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
ALMS is still running the ACO regulations of 2004. So smaller rear wing (1.8 m) and smaller fuel tank (80 liter), but not the smaller restrictor and weigth penalty (675 kg and not 720 kg like in LMES).
ALMS is running 2003 regulations. So, larger rear wing.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1434612)   #43
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom

So the answer to I Love 04s's question is............

(Zytek lighter with a larger rear wing?)
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1434620)   #44
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that although the race isn't live on TV, you can listen to live coverage at www.radiolemans.com, from 11pm (UK).

...and if you missed Free Practice or Qualifying, you can listen to them again.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1434761)   #45
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
What a great race. Congratulations to Zytek and Penske!

Commiserations to Acemco (again!).

Dominant display from Zytek (thank goodness after PLM) and what an impressive debut from the Spyder. It was at times hard to believe the Spyder was running in LMP2. And only the Zytek and No1 Champion Audi were able to set faster lap times during the race! They did come very, very close to a podium.

Roll on 2006 and the arrival of the new LMP1's!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1434863)   #46
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I say roll on 2006 with a Zytek 04s in the ALMS!!!!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1434918)   #47
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I say roll on 2006 with a Zytek 04s in the ALMS!!!!
I say roll on Porsche Prototypes. First time out and how quick...

Now stick a couple of blowers on it in time for LM 2007 please.

Always difficult to predict, but I wonder if we will look back at Laguna Seca 2005 as a watershed in Sportscar Racing?
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1434952)   #48
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Always difficult to predict, but I wonder if we will look back at Laguna Seca 2005 as a watershed in Sportscar Racing?
Not sure about that, but it's fantastic to have Porsche back in prototypes!

Audi and Peugeot are about to reinvent sportscar car racing over the next couple of years with big budget manufacturer backed diesel prototype efforts. The debut of the R10 at Sebring next year, now there's a potential watershed. That really could define the direction of sportscar racing for years to come!!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1435269)   #49
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cocktail Penske/Porsche/Michelin is simply fantastic. 6th at only 1 lap !
Old 16 Oct 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1435325)   #50
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a race! We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our time yesterday. We enjoyed a lot of great battles on the track and some splendid racing. I'm not sure I can relay it all, but here are some observations:

The RS Spyder was awesome. What can I say, 5th overall and a class win! Not to mention, it was really great watching it mix it up with the P1 cars. Although the driver's inexperience with a quicker car in traffic showed somewhat. Oh yes, and this car has a heavenly sound!

The Zytek was amazing! Great drive by Chilton. He really showed a lot of maturity today and this result will do wonders for his confidence. I hope he continues in prototypes next year. Shimoda finished it all off in style. This car also sounds great, especially under breaking when it crackles and pops.

You could clearly see the Audis struggeling, which was odd to watch.

The Dysons ran a great race, but it just wasn't enough and their race pace was less than I hoped it would be.

The Aston Martins sound great. Reminds me a lot of the 550s. If only the Maserati could go as fast as it looks and sounds. Sorry for ACEMCO. That car is so stunning.

Saw a lot of people in the pits. Happened upon David Richards. Saw Hayanari Shimoda having lunch. Dave Maraj was also having lunch. Almost bumped into Roger Penske on the grid walk. And watched Andy Wallace work his way through the crowd on the grid to take a peek at the Porsche RS Spyder!

Oh, and the entire Champion driving crew (including McNish and Kristensen) signed a poster for my son. I asked McNish if he would be in the R10 next year, and he replied if I knew could I tell him. Nice guy. Pirro was pretty funny to. The guy next to me asked Lehto how many laps would it take to catch the Zytek. Lehto replied, none, we're gonna get lapped. LoL, and yes, he was!