Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 18 Nov 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1156741)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Phew a thread that doesn't cover sexuality or death. Seems like PF is going downhill.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1156760)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good innit!

Very slow to load for me.

As for the looks, I'll get used to them I guess.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1156817)   #28
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
I wouldn't say it's slow but
I woke up thid morning and it was gone. Did I imagine it?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1156821)   #29
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
I woke up thid morning and it was gone. Did I imagine it?
THIS - Doh
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1156824)   #30
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
No you didn't imagine it. Once we worked out that no-one was actually interested in resolving any problems, they only wanted to complain about them, we decided that it was a waste of time and effort.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1156849)   #31
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did give a suggestion
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1156852)   #32
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
No you didn't imagine it. Once we worked out that no-one was actually interested in resolving any problems, they only wanted to complain about them, we decided that it was a waste of time and effort.
It seems to me that every "improvement" that has been thrown at us (without warning) has caused the forum to run slower.
Some of the admin have to remember that not all the members have broadband and not all of us have fast computers.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1156856)   #33
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
It seems to me that every "improvement" that has been thrown at us (without warning) has caused the forum to run slower.
Can you give me some other examples?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:56 (Ref:1156862)   #34
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The move to the new server.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1156868)   #35
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since the move to the new server the number of "Server Busy" messages has decreased significantly, there has already been investment in doubling the amount of RAM in the server. Feedback from staff and users has indicated a significant improvement in speed since the RAM doubling around October 13th. So I'm not accepting that one.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1156873)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Agreed. Also, what is this "without warning" thing. The server move was fully publicised.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1156904)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If we hadn't been moved to the new server things would be a lot worse than they are - we should be grateful that people are making an effort to try and improve our lot, this place is free for us to use and the mods give up their time to help make all this stuff possible. Thanks guys and gals.

Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1156920)   #38
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can't please all of the people all of the time. In fact here it seems you can't please any of the people any of the time. Do some of you believe designing, building and maintaining a website is done by some kind of instant magic? Or is it just that you don't like change? Whatever it is, I'd expect a bit more support for the people who spend alot of their spare time running this site and trying to improve the look and feel of it for all of us.

(By the way, many thanks to those of you who have offered support and constructive comments, you know this isn't aimed at you...)

If it's not too late ( ), the new toolbar looks excellent on the standard 10Tenths skin. I'm sure any issues over slow loading could be resolved with some testing and tweeking (but seeing as the members don't seem to understand the need for that maybe that's not an option ). The toolbar doesn't really fit with the Parc Ferme skin, but this has some links already in the yellow strip so perhaps the new bar wouldn't be needed in PF.

Last edited by garcon; 18 Nov 2004 at 10:57.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1156927)   #39
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yup, I was interested in resolving the problems and sought the advice of people I thought would know... but they didn't
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1156932)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Positives: The site has been much faster since the move to the new server - and the new admins clearly have a vast depth of technical knowledge to keep things improve things. They're doing a great job.

Negatives: Perhaps feedback is sometimes taken to heart - that seems to be the case on this issue. I thought the new toolbar looked good and didn't slow the forum down for me. But others did have problems - was it just a case of change for the sake of change, as it didn't actually improve the useability of the forum - which is surely the most important thing.

Anyway, whatever is done it will never please all the people all the time. Keep up the good work - most of us appreciate having this forum at all.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1156938)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm saying nothing.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1156948)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I am fairly new to the forum and newer still to Parc Ferme, so please bear that in mind.

I agree with almost all that that K-b wrote, except that in my case I'm still with DUN (although looking at broadband at the moment) so speed of loading is a very important factor.

Sure, there were some problems at the time of moving to the new server, but none at all for quite a while, so that was a change for the better.

So far as I was concerned, the toolbar was unannounced, and it seems to have been the right decision to drop it, but people shouldn't take offence if they try something new and it doesn't work. The complaints are not personal.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1156993)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hmmm. EP, what was the problem that the new toolbar was intended to resolve?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1157001)   #44
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never got to see it...oh well.

I'd like to know what the people who don't run the site can do to solve a technical problem rather than say stuff about it in threads, though. Are we entering a new age of user interaction? Is this the dawn of a new era?

All we can do is moan in threads, unless there's a box I forgot to check.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1157004)   #45
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hey, i didn't moan Loggie. in my experience on 10/10ths, its best not to consult anyone about technical or skin changes. everyone moans, and nothing will change. MagnetON and EP-just bloody well do what you want, the toolbar looked GOOD, really professional, and i eagerly await more changes

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1157006)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You have choices, you can praise, applaud, criticise, moan - do whatever you like. That's the beauty of a large forum - lots of different views. But its a fact of life that we tend to be quicker to moan than praise....

As it happens, I was perfectly happy with the old "toolbar", but we have to move on, I guess.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1157051)   #47
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think that's very unfair EP. I don't think I was moaning, just stating a fact that it was slow and I have very quick internet access, some people are still on 28k dial up. I also stated that I could see no reason for it being slow as the gifs were very small in size. As for the layout of the menu bar itself, I thought it was quite good as I didn't even realise the old one was there.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1157117)   #48
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well I hope you don't think I was complaining when I mentioned it was slow for me on 512k Broadband. I liked the look of it but it needed some work to make it faster and more practical - I never discovered whether or not the width and height attributes had been set for each image - the behaviour displayed by the browser suggested that was all that needed to be done? But I do not know so I will keep quiet!

I am also going to move this thread to feedback if that's okay as I think that's where it should be really?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1157122)   #49
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Image height and width were being supplied to the browser, and as the toolbar is no more there's no need for this thread to continue.
Closed Thread