Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Do you think Tracy should be banned for a race (or more) ?
Yes, I think so 24 51.06%
No, I don't think so 23 48.94%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Aug 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1688773)   #26
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people are over-reacting.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1688925)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
1) No way this is Seb's fault. He made the pass, was holding the line and the only way PT could catch up to him was by driving straight into the corner.

2) After it was too late, PT attempts to turn and the back end steps out and he takes out SB.

3) Not like PT took his helmet off either, nor did he seem to do anything but act in a belligerent manner in response to SB.

If CC "needs" PT so badly that suspending him for a race cannot be tolerated, then the people that run the series need to re-think this. If CC "needs" this kind of on-track activity to generate PR, then the people that run the series need to re-think this. Certainly if you don't suspend someone for this kind of crap, how do you suspend someone else? What level of behavior would it take?

Further, all this bluster about: "If it were me I would have hit him this way or that way" shows a serious lack of what it takes to race at any level. The measure of a man is not his willingness to kick someone just to make his point.

I don't buy it when folks say it generates interest to have this crap. Just like I don't buy it when people say we watch races to see the wrecks. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 22 Aug 2006 at 17:47.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1688934)   #28
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
1) No way this is Seb's fault. He made the pass, was holding the line and the only way PT could catch up to him was by driving straight into the corner.

2) After it was too late, PT attempts to turn and the back end steps out and he takes out SB.

3) Not like PT took his helmet off either, nor did he seem to do anything but act in a belligerent manner in response to SB.

If CC "needs" PT so badly that suspending him for a race cannot be tolerated, then the people that run the series need to re-think this. If CC "needs" this kind of on-track activity to generate PR, then the people that run the series need to re-think this. Certainly if you don't suspend someone for this kind of crap, how do you suspend someone else? What level of behavior would it take?

Further, all this bluster about: "If it were me I would have hit him this way or that way" shows a serious lack of what it takes to race at any level. The measure of a man is not his willingness to kick someone just to make his point.

I don't buy it when folks say it generates interest to have this crap. Just like I don't buy it when people say we watch races to see the wrecks. You can't have it both ways.
Concur.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1688981)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Make that a third person who agrees with you, JohnSSC

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1689005)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you all for the kind words!

...JohnSSC logs out in order to be sure he quits while he is ahead!!!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1689364)   #31
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with most of what JohnSSC says, but I would add this. I think CC have made themselves a problem by allowing drivers on probation to get away with little mistakes here and there without further punishment (Clarke and Legge).

Compare perhaps Dan Clarke's move at Portland (?) on Dominguez - a misjudged non-deliberate move and then losing it on the track - to Tracy's move on Bourdais. I don't really see an enormous difference between the two. They let Clarke go so they really have to treat PT the same way.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1689424)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, I agree to a point, Mystery. You make a key distinction though by saying: "...a misjudged non-deliberate move" when describing Dan Clarke's incident.

SB made the pass and was long gone. PT drove straight into the corner to catch him. No way (imho) did PT have any intention of overtaking. He dove in there to cause as much disruption to SB as possible - you know: send a message, shake him up - whatever - so that SB would bobble. I do not know what PT was actually thinking. Throughout his career PT has demonstrated HE doesn't know what he is thinking. I believe that he is not overly conversant with the cognitive process in general; see his drive up Franchitti's exhaust on lap one or two in Houston awhile back or any number of boneheaded things he has done. I do not buy for a second that this incident was "non-deliberate."

Anyway my point here is I think PT gets mad, loses his cool and then starts doing really stupid things at speed. It is almost miraculous that no one has been seriously hurt including him. From a driving standpoint what he did was indefensible and a one race ban is de minimus punishment. Again, my opinion only but the fact that he drives for one of the owners of the series mitigates against his receiving the punishment merited.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1691432)   #33
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good shout John. It does depend on how you view PT's intentions behind the move this time.

Although his history would kind of lead you to the conclusion you have taken......
Old 25 Aug 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1691594)   #34
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy's move was intentional, but he didn't intend to hit Sebastien, he intended to keep 2nd place in a season where he's hardly having good races.

Is it that difficult to understand that most racers (not drivers) would have dived down the inside on that last corner for second?

Why should PT take third? He's got no chance for the title, he's out to get the best result he can, not to not take risks with the championship in mind.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1691704)   #35
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see that many people criticising Tracy fail to notice Bordais running over and pushing him. Sebs just as bad.

It was a racing incident anyway, I think some people really have the knives out in this thread.

Last edited by maximus; 25 Aug 2006 at 19:39.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1691811)   #36
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Nice to see that many people criticising Tracy fail to notice Bordais running over and pushing him. Sebs just as bad.

It was a racing incident anyway, I think some people really have the knives out in this thread.
Indeed, I am thinking that too... and in the meantime it's old stuff and a new race up, so let's cool down...

(Seb's name is spelling: Bourdais... )
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1692915)   #37
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one have any bets on who Tracy will crash into this weekend?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1693077)   #38
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22
Any one have any bets on who Tracy will crash into this weekend?
What? And risk extending his probation by another race?