Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Sep 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3139569)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i was there over the weekend at the wsr event. great fans, beautiful countryside, interesting country. it's a real highlight of the wsr calendar, let alone the f1 one. the circuit itself is full of gradient changes, some really fascinating corners and a great little paddock space.

i guess it's one of those circuits and races you actually have to go to instead of watch on tv. and unlike bernie, i don't mean that in a political or commercial sense either. it's really important venues like that stay on the calendar.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3139725)   #27
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i watch all the races,but very few live.Most are too early in the morning,and until very recently,I worked most weekends.
The PVR gets used a lot in our house.I added a 1TB hard drive ,so I could record all our favourite TV programs.
I think the number of races is about right.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3139784)   #28
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yeah, because the hundreds of thousands of people who turn out over the weekend to support the teams, drivers and sport as a whole are completely irrelevant. it's one of the best places to watch a f1 race on the entire calendar - i for one am thankful it's one of bernie's (and the teams) favourites and will be there for a long time.
Sure, Hungary is beautiful, it's a great country to visit, the track itself looks awesome, maybe they get a big crowd, and it's a traditional circuit instead of the new Tilke-rings in deserts. But more often that not, the races are boring. A spanner thrown in the works (like Vettel's penalty in 2010) is the only thing that makes it interesting sometimes. Maybe they should make sure it's placed on the calendar for a good chance of rain to spice things up :P

But yeah, I'll probably never see a F1 race live; maybe Australia one day is closest to me (NZ), so it doesn't really matter to me how much of a tourist attraction Hungary is, I just care about the quality of the race itself.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3139785)   #29
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Perhaps if all of the other drivers actually thought that there was indeed a "top guy", then they needn't bother turning up?
You don't think Will's the best driver of the last 3 seasons in Indycar? I try not to say "overall" because he somehow bins it on the ovals - but he's still actually quick enough on ovals, usually. Just had some bad luck.

A lot of the drivers in F1 have said Alonso is the best overall driver in F1 at the moment - doesn't mean they won't show up to beat him though.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:01 (Ref:3139840)   #30
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Sure, Hungary is beautiful, it's a great country to visit, the track itself looks awesome, maybe they get a big crowd, and it's a traditional circuit instead of the new Tilke-rings in deserts. But more often that not, the races are boring. A spanner thrown in the works (like Vettel's penalty in 2010) is the only thing that makes it interesting sometimes. Maybe they should make sure it's placed on the calendar for a good chance of rain to spice things up :P

But yeah, I'll probably never see a F1 race live; maybe Australia one day is closest to me (NZ), so it doesn't really matter to me how much of a tourist attraction Hungary is, I just care about the quality of the race itself.
You just care about the quality of the race, but want the Hungarian GP to be affected with rain, which affects the quality of the race?

Fans these days, eh? Just want everything to be a guaranteed thriller. Which, in turn, makes it predictable.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3140793)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought 17 was a perfectly good number of races. However, what also adds to the longevity of the season is the August hiatus, which artificially extends it by a month.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3140819)   #32
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
True. But i still think it's not a good thing if your product goes from an essential to an optional. I am not naive enough to think that F1 'needs' me and, thinking about it, considering that my answer to the below quote is a resounding 'NO', am i even the kind of person F1 'wants' anymore?
Tbh, I don't think the F1 community knows what it is anymore, let alone if it knows it wants you. An indicator of this is to look at their website...

http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/teams/

You look at that list. it's got the team logo, the face of each driver and a picture of the motorhome! Why is that there??? where's the picture of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
All i know, is that i still want to watch every race. But what with my other interests/life circumstances, i am finding increasingly harder to do that. Increasing the number of races only compounds it. So, this thread is completely selfish, i know. But there are a fair few people who agree.
I suspect it's sublte change you've noticed. Soon you may barely watch the season!
Old 29 Sep 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3143672)   #33
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twenty races is not too many. And a positive evolution is that we will have four races on the American continent next year.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3144438)   #34
snowdog140
Rookie

England
Coventry, England
snowdog140 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe one way around it would be to have a calendar like they had with the WRC, where they rotate rounds every year? That way we'd get to see different tracks every year, organisers would keep costs down with only having to host a round every two years, and there wouldn't be as many rounds any more. Personally I think more is better, but just my opinion, of course.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3144640)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
Twenty races is not too many. And a positive evolution is that we will have four races on the American continent next year.
That's an evolution alright.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3144643)   #36
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another one to possibly add to the list and I find this quite bizarre!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102997

Why would a country in the deep financial mire and with very little Motorsport history want to build a GP Circuit?

It might keep a few workers employed but not for long...
Old 1 Oct 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3144651)   #37
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post

Why would a country in the deep financial mire and with very little Motorsport history want to build a GP Circuit?

probably a vanity project from a politician trying to raise his profile in times of trouble. can't see it happening.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3144677)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
classic Greece!

the one thing they have going for them is tourism. this might just be an attempt to bring in more tourists....which probably means building a race track right through the middle of the Acropolis.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3144682)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it isn't like America has much money either and they have a new track.

But yeah. Greece really should not be allowed to do that surely?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3144707)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Strange, but strange things happen out there.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3144709)   #41
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If they built the most epic racetrack ever, then it would become a mecca-like destination for race fans and might actually do some good for the country. However it will probably be another dull cut&paste tilkedrome, so you can forget that.

Let me design the track and I can assure you it would be awesome.

Last edited by Sodemo; 1 Oct 2012 at 16:32.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3144714)   #42
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If they built the most epic racetrack ever, then it would become a mecca-like destination for race fans and might actually do some good for the country. However it will probably be another dull cut&paste tilkedrome, so you can forget that.

Let me design the track and I can assure you it would be awesome.
I'll give Turkey as an example. Even though the Tilke effort was better than most, they probably had more dogs than humans as spectators and I'm sure lost a lot of money (that's from memory so I stand to be corrected).
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3144719)   #43
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there's no such thing as too many races
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3144747)   #44
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'll give Turkey as an example. Even though the Tilke effort was better than most, they probably had more dogs than humans as spectators and I'm sure lost a lot of money (that's from memory so I stand to be corrected).
Yep, very true. The track was better than most he has designed. I just think its a massive shame when tracks get built or altered to cater for "F1's needs" then after 5 years the country or the track promoter gets the boot, leaving a track to ruin. The A1 Ring, Mt Fuji, Donington Park. Now whilst all these tracks are still in existence they were left in various states once F1 had discarded them. The A1 Ring is the cruelest "knife in the side" of them all. A magnificent track (previously the Osterriechring), altered in 1996 to F1's specifications, destroying what was for me, the best racing track in the world. I know Red Bull have recently renovated the track, however its still a shadow of its former self.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3144748)   #45
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I wonder if Mrs Merkel knows about this? Elections coming up too!

Pretty ironic really since the Germans will be paying for it and they can't even afford to keep a GP at the Nurburgring!

It's the most ridiculous idea I've seen for years!!
Old 6 Oct 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3146892)   #46
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the past there were much more races that were depicted in the original stats. Drivers like Clark, Stewart, Hill drove about 20-25 races per year and only counting the use of their F1 cars in official champ and non-championship races. They lasted in the past even racing in winter, why not now?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3146944)   #47
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
In the past there were much more races that were depicted in the original stats. Drivers like Clark, Stewart, Hill drove about 20-25 races per year and only counting the use of their F1 cars in official champ and non-championship races. They lasted in the past even racing in winter, why not now?
Agree 100% thereStirling Moss raced just about every weekend in 1955-when there was only 6 WCF1 races. Problem started I think,when Clark was killed in a F2 race.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3151550)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must admit, whilst I don't have a sense of saturation, I have less of a sense of anticipation than before when they set off on the warm-up lap once again and when those lights come on. It feels a bit less "special".

And yet, 20 is not a crazy amount; it's still far from every weekend of the year, so a few more should be good. Basically, I prefer 20 to 16 even if it does have a bit less novelty value for me. I suspect being almost 30 years old reduces the sense of novelty and kid at Christmas feel.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3152186)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally I'd like to see fewer races if it produces better racing. What are GPs like Bahrain and Korea doing on the schedule and they produce lacklustre racing? Their souls purpose, as far as i can see, is to line Bernie's pockets.

If there must be 20 GPs, expand where the racing will be better and better appreciated, i.e. Europe but European tracks either don't want to, or can't afford Bernie's fee, so we have a Catch 22. Therefore, I'd rather see fewer GPs on the calendar.