Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Feb 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3208653)   #26
Slipknot
Rookie

United States
Texas
Slipknot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Ford back after all these years. Jaguar would be nice too.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3208663)   #27
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible that some Manufacturers will only return if the top class is Production car based???
Old 21 Feb 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3208668)   #28
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Yes. McLaren people mentioned that on a number of occasions.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3208684)   #29
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The mention of Delage makes me think also of Bugatti, which is actually a currently active brand, so would stand to gain more with involvement. Does any of the heritage carry over when a brand is revived from the dead and is owned by totally different entities?

The Fiat Group seems to desire to bring back/continue the Abarth name, it would be interesting to see that name return fully to motorsport.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3208693)   #30
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
The mention of Delage makes me think also of Bugatti, which is actually a currently active brand, so would stand to gain more with involvement. Does any of the heritage carry over when a brand is revived from the dead and is owned by totally different entities?

The Fiat Group seems to desire to bring back/continue the Abarth name, it would be interesting to see that name return fully to motorsport.
I figure some of the heritage can be inherited - it depends on how distinctive the brand values were in the initial incarnation, and how many of them are carried over.

In that light I'm less convinced by the Bugatti revivals over the last 20 years or so - both the EB110 and the Veyron coming across as inherently too lardy and not somehow pale blue enough.

Similarly Bentley gelled a bit more - a big green car that could legitimately contend for a win and tallied with the arrival of the Continental GT, or indeed the MG Lolas - small nimble cars took a fundamentally different approach to the Audis/Cadillacs/Chryslers they were going up against.

So where's my yen for a brand I'd like to see? I'm optimistic about what might come out of the Alpine / Caterham tie up, but like others I see an awful gaping hole at the sharp end that should be filled by something Italian - an Alfa Romeo or Lancia would be gorgeous to see - even if Evin's law means we can't have iconic Campari or Martini liveries.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3208705)   #31
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I figure some of the heritage can be inherited - it depends on how distinctive the brand values were in the initial incarnation, and how many of them are carried over.

In that light I'm less convinced by the Bugatti revivals over the last 20 years or so - both the EB110 and the Veyron coming across as inherently too lardy and not somehow pale blue enough.

Similarly Bentley gelled a bit more - a big green car that could legitimately contend for a win and tallied with the arrival of the Continental GT, or indeed the MG Lolas - small nimble cars took a fundamentally different approach to the Audis/Cadillacs/Chryslers they were going up against.

So where's my yen for a brand I'd like to see? I'm optimistic about what might come out of the Alpine / Caterham tie up, but like others I see an awful gaping hole at the sharp end that should be filled by something Italian - an Alfa Romeo or Lancia would be gorgeous to see - even if Evin's law means we can't have iconic Campari or Martini liveries.
The Bentley return was after how many decades of sports inactivity, proving that heritage can transcend huge time gaps? I teared up while listening to RLM coverage of their victory, and I am neither British, nor old enough to know of their motorsport history except from reading historic accounts. Of course Bentley had always stayed active as a brand, but not in motorsports during my life. I was thrilled when MG returned, and on the smaller class car. That is kind of what I think should happen with Abarth, continue the Little Giant Killers theme that existed during their heydays.

Being American and being a fan of motorsport history I would love to see the name Miller return. It is too fanciful to imagine because there is no commercial value now, nor is it 'exotic' sounding enough.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3208714)   #32
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see American manufacturers (Ford/Chevrolet) interested in LMP style racing and prove they are capable of supporting the technology needed for this type racing.

Alfa Romeo/Fiat/Ferrari + BMW and Mercedes should already be in the top class. Renault cars have a good history and would be great marketing for them.

All in all I would applaud any company that at least tried to join the party - any company has my support if they really put some effort towards the goal.

A harsh reality is that I am American but honestly don't feel any type of loyalty towards American car makers - but that (might) change if they showed they can compete on the international level (LMP/F1 ect.)
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3208821)   #33
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes Benz, Alfa Romeo, Nissan, Peugeot and Jaguar
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3208834)   #34
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Awesome thread!!! I was thinking about putting up something like this.

Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz, and Nissan would be my top 3, not in order. Cadillac would have incredible financial backing from GM, Mercedes-Benz from Daimler AG, and Nissan... well, that speaks for itself. Apart from finances, I still think these three would produce the best... there's a reason why they are doing well.

I think Mercedes-Benz could absolutely run away with the WEC. Get some Formula 1 reserve drivers, like Brendon Hartley, Sam Bird, Oliver Turvey, and Gary Paffett, and maybe throw in Susie Wolff for non-Le Mans races (thanks to Toto Wolff), and perhaps add James Rossiter from Lotus and you've got yourself an all-star team. I would love to witness it someday. I think LMP1 will really bounce back with the new rules set in place for 2014 onwards.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3208840)   #35
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want Mazda back into Le Mans... but it won't be possible because of the engine regulations.

Also, I want either Ford or GM back too on endurance racing, especially the LMP1 class.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3208847)   #36
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
A harsh reality is that I am American but honestly don't feel any type of loyalty towards American car makers - but that (might) change if they showed they can compete on the international level (LMP/F1 ect.)
You know I also feel the same way. But I do like Ford. The reason why is becasue, Ford is rich with racing history. Sports Cars, Open Wheel, Rally, Stock Cars, Drag Racing, Touring Cars. And they've had succes in every racing series they competed.

So as an American, Ford would be #1 on my list. Then follow by, BMW & Nissan.

But I would also like to see a BMW & McLaren partership for Le Mans. If BMW returns to F1 with the new engine rules. I do see McLaren switching to BMW engines. And thus, paving the way for a partership at Le Mans.

ok... I need to stop dreaming haha
Old 21 Feb 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3208849)   #37
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren, Corvette (specifically branded as a vette not just Chevy), BMW, Mercedes, Ford
Old 21 Feb 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3208851)   #38
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I want Mazda back into Le Mans... but it won't be possible because of the engine regulations.

Also, I want either Ford or GM back too on endurance racing, especially the LMP1 class.
Ford's unquestionably a brand with heritage, and in my first year of following sportscars in 1982, the C100 was a very respectable bit of kit - but when you look at their range and what the likes of Ka / Kuga / Focus are all looking at selling to, is there a story that could be told about them that would connect with WEC campaign?

Put another way, if we collectively are given the task of telling Alan Mulally why Ford should come to Le Mans, what do we say?
Old 21 Feb 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3208860)   #39
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to see Ferrari back in P1, for no other reason than... I live in the past, remembering those glory days of 1970/71.
Truth is, any manufacturer who has a possible P1 program would be welcome. But they had better pull their fingers out, because I want to see them when I go to Le Mans next year.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3208870)   #40
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Given Porsche is already coming back... I'd have two main picks.

1. Ferrari, for the pure glory of their name, and the attention it would bring to the sport. One can dream, build a team around Schumacher....

2. Ford - To help grow the sport in North America, with the hopes that the sport can return to where it was at one point.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3208902)   #41
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone, really.
Although, any of GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Jag, or Bentley would be ideal.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3208974)   #42
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to see Mazda. A rotary hybrid with some Furai design would be epic.
Other than that, both Maserati and Alfa Romeo are high on my wish list.
As for the US, Ford would be fantastic!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3208990)   #43
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
I´d welcome back a proper Panoz anytime!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3209001)   #44
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford - if they're not going to make a new sports car for GT, then they might as well go all-in with an LMP1. It's not like their "racing division" is doing much now with the pullout from WRC and some involvement in WTCC and GRC. Considering they were the healthiest of the Big 3 during the recession, I was surprised that they didn't do anything about racing (not even increase support for the Robertsons)
Old 22 Feb 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3209003)   #45
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MWM said something about a major announcement coming from NISMO in Japan next week...
Old 22 Feb 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3209005)   #46
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Major hopefully isn't something like F1 sponsorship with Infinity but some proper news, maybe a P1. They do have interest in DTM as well.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3209034)   #47
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
MWM said something about a major announcement coming from NISMO in Japan next week...
More on this from Joe Saward, who I appreciate is a little F1 focused and not Le Mans' biggest fan, but not one who peddles abject nonsense.

Fingers obviously crossed, but tempered by an equal awareness that with their dominance of the P2 engine market and GT Academy profile they may feel they're getting as much as can be expected out of sportscars at the moment.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3209100)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Nissan Motorsport ‏@Nissan_OnTrack
Keep your eyes and ears open next week... #Nismo https://twitter.com/Nissan_OnTrack/s...868992/photo/1
Old 22 Feb 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3209108)   #49
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Nissan Motorsport ‏@Nissan_OnTrack
Keep your eyes and ears open next week... #Nismo https://twitter.com/Nissan_OnTrack/s...868992/photo/1
There are two links to video teasers in the Endurance-Info article about the announcement, but judging by the featured drivers it sounds more like something related to Super GT.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3209415)   #50
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing the Gurney/Foyt Mk IV Ford win in 1967 was a beautiful thing! Ford had the money and the will to take things on back then. It would be awesome to see Ford do it again. Also, I felt Cadillac had a beautiful P1 in the early 2000s and never really gave it a full go. Might be nice to see them really go for the full effort. Of course Ferrari, who wouldn't want to see those guys in P1 and Mercedes always has great looking cars when they go for it and that silver color is always a delight to see.

DK