Old 15 Nov 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1461721)   #26
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig hope
this could also be said for bigger events, when marshals follow them around the country some of these I find,, think they are better than others
I've noticed that. Some marshals who only do the larger events - F3's, GTs etc. seem to look down their noses at club events - and just won't go there. on the other hand, we've got marshals who only do club events and won't do anything larger (me for my first year, with a couple of exceptions), and then we've got the ones who do both. The latter 2 being more friendly than the former

and that's mostly about people I've met on-line. for those I've met in real life - read on.

I have to say though, that I have found every marshall I've met at Pembrey and Silverstone to be friendly and very helpfull - and that's good when you've got only a day or so's experience, helps with the learning process no end!

By the way, I don't really consider myself to be a very social person - I don't drink, don't smoke, Can't abide noise and avoid bars and restraunts; especially The F1 at Pembrey! I still find myself fitting in though, just from the actuall marshalling - so if I can fit in with almost no effort, anyone can!

Last edited by The STIG; 15 Nov 2005 at 22:09. Reason: additional waffle
Old 16 Nov 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1462184)   #27
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Occasionally you get this. But in my experience, it's very much a rare exception to the rule.......

......It tends to be because they haven't mastered the social skills needed to join in as part of a bigger team. Don't be put off by these people. I'll say it again, they are rare and not worth worring about.
While I admit you do get groups of 'high-ups' or travelling marshals who get a bit above themselves, the above comments are a bit of a harsh generalisation. You have to accept that some people are not outgoing or extrovert, or able to easily integrate into a social grouping.

I've been on post where a group turn up, barely listen to the briefing and immediately wander off as a group, not to be seen again until it's time to rotate positions and make it plain that they want to be left alone.

I've also been on post where it's obvious that someone is not a good mixer, lacks the social skills you mention and either chooses not to or feels uncomfortable in thrusting him/herself into a group (Hmm, sounds familiar....).

As long as it doesn't affect their performance when it counts (not just the 'hero' stuff, but sweeping up, checking the track, rebuilding tyre walls etc), I don't see a problem. I don't believe either group of people I've described above should be castigated for being themselves.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1462790)   #28
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Can certainly put that right, but seriously, we do try to make newcomers feel welcome @ Mallory, don't we?
Yes, of course you do. Like coming to introduce yourself when I am molar deep in a breakfast sandwich.

But I jest, Mallory is very friendly. And there is no problem finding the bar when the racing is over.

But on a serious note, there are some people who, while not exactly being unfriendly, do make you feel as though your likes/dislikes are wrong.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

Comments like "people who do all the big meetings like BTCC think they are 'above' everybody else" really annoy me. I have done several of the BTCC meetings this year - probably more than half - but I certainly don't think myself superior. I just happen to like touring cars (though there have been rather too few cars this year). If I wasn't marshalling I would possibly have gone to watch most of the meetings, as in previous years. In fact, the (lack of) appeal of watching them on my own was one of the reasons I took up marshalling in the first place. I have sometimes even been made to feel embarrassed for wanting to marshal at touring car meetings but I have found that some of the best events this year were at some of the touring car rounds... A large part of that was due to the people on the various posts I was on - not "superior" people who thought they were better than me but people who knew how to have a good time and enjoyed what was happening on the track around us.

I have also done several club meetings this year and have enjoyed most of those as well. However, there are times, mainly at smaller meetings, where you are on post with one other person and he left his sense of humour at home, there is some unbelievably long race with not enough cars on the grid (three of whom don't start) and you have no clue what is happening because there is no PA. These I do not enjoy.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

I like to think I have done a good balance of meetings. My location is pretty good with four tracks within one hour's driver so I have done a selection of "local" meetings with a few "away-days" (or rather away-weekends, apart from the ones combined with visiting relatives). I can't quite get my head around the idea of only marshalling at a single circuit - there is just so much variety out there.

I have only been marshalling for one year so I am not yet jaded by "de management" at the larger meetings. Next year I will continue to do as I have done this year - a mixture of mostly local but some long distance visits; and a mixture of club and bigger events. There are a few in the diary already (Britcar 24) and, with any luck, the GP (Hey, I've never done one before) and an even longer distance trip.

I apologise for the rant. It is not aimed at anybody in particular. It is just in response to a general feeling. I am still very new at marshalling and so I am still very enthusiastic and protective about the fantastic hobby I have discovered and I want everybody to like it as much as I do.

I'll just leave you to return to the rest of this thread... I'll just go quietly back to my corner and continue trying to live forever...

PJ
Old 17 Nov 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1463288)   #29
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I s'pouse it all boils down to the fact that we are differant, coming from all walks of life. We just happen to all love motorsport, I was 4 when I first went to Brands (1954) and I've been hooked ever since! Some folks are very chatty and social, others not so. It doesn't mean you're less of a marshal/person just 'cos something in orange spends the entire day talking to his mates! I think I've been guilty of this in the past 'cos I only get to see some of my friends at thr track and we usually have a lot to catch up on etc. Like comiserating about the fortunes of Crystal Palace! Certainly, if anyone sees me doing this at a curcuit near you, come and interupt! You never know, I may be grateful!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1463303)   #30
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I work pro events pretty much exclusively, but I hope I'm not seen as one of those who look down on other workers. I used to work local club events more, but two things made me change.

1. Small fields and no idea when I'll get home at night (no "time certain", which annoys the Chief Cook and Bottlewasher), and
2. Working in retail.

If I say I have a plane ticket to LA for Long Beach it's automatically okayed for me to have the time off. Heck, if I ask for time off to do a club event in California I don't have any problems getting time. If I say I want the weekend off to work at the local track they feel free to say no -- and just about always do.

So there are many reasons why people work only pro events, and being "a pro from Dover" isn't always the main one.

I agree with Stoowert, though, that sometimes the reason why we travelling workers may appear less interested in others at morning sign-on or after-day party is because we see some friends only at specific races and there's a lot of catching up to do. Sometimes I see workers only once every few years, but they are people I've known for 20 years or more and e-mail just doesn't cut it for big life changes. Doesn't mean I'm not open to chatting with new people, just means I need to take some time with the old pals -- you never know when you'll get to see them again. And once I'm on station I talk to anybody and everybody... as those who've worked with me will tell you!

keke
Old 17 Nov 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1463630)   #31
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
I work pro events pretty much exclusively
keke
I must backpedal a bit and say that I didn't mean most of the marshals who work pro events were clique-y, I had a specific crew in mind and Keke, I don't believe you've met them as they wouldn't want a stranger on their crew anyway.

A couple of problem "pro-only" marshals eventually disappeared from racing, one complaining that the "clubbies" ignored him all the time. No, we just had club events to talk about and he didn't have anything to contribute to the conversation.

There are problem people in every walk of life but they tend to be more obvious in hobby groups because they feel more free to give their opinion than they would at the office. If they ignore you, break in and demand their attention or just ignore them back.

See you in Long Beach Keke, and with a bit of luck at the A1 race a few weeks prior.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1464120)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
There are problem people in every walk of life but they tend to be more obvious in hobby groups because they feel more free to give their opinion than they would at the office. If they ignore you, break in and demand their attention or just ignore them back.
That's what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the right words to express it. Perfectly put.