Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jul 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2245829)   #26
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorboy
BTCC in known as the 'Crash 'n' Bash' over here, questionable driving standards to say the least but I guess it makes for a good spectacle (although as a marshal I'd rather they behaved themselves out there).

Agree with one of the previous posters about farty 2-litres tho - gimme a fat V8 any day! And rear-wheel drive into the mix, happy days!!

But seriously, it's all about brand exposure for the manufacturers involved, surely? I know we can't get our hands on a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon over here (and more's the pity) but would the Ford and GM brands as a whole not benefit from the spectacle that V8 racing would bring to another passionate motorsport fanbase? And hey if it took off what's to say that these models couldn't be rolled out across the European market? It would open up new avenues so I would have thought the manufacturers would at least be receptive to the idea.
You can buy a VXR8

Also the fuel price has nothing to do with it. V8s nowadays aren't much higher in fuel, and in the case of my V6 and V8 manufactured in the same year, the V8 is better on fuel. Go figure.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 00:56 (Ref:2245916)   #27
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC = Bump The Competition Clear

BPB learned his stuff over there after all......

All jokes aside, the racing does appear to have a good mix of makes, shock horror - regular passing - and uses a standardised formula that applies to other parts of the world, which gives options for development, marketing and innovation that are not available locally.

There could be worse ideas that cherry picking from their mix.

As for running a race there, it might be an interesting exercise, there's been the odd car go over there to run in a secondary series over there, so it wouldn't be completely unfamiliar, but the sound of 28 (or 26, 20 even?) of the things would be quite a novelty, even as a one-off.

Still a novelty event though, might as well create a new street circuit, but since there is an insistence on novelty events, I wonder whether the cost of a novelty race at Silverstone/Brands/Nurburgring/Spa/Monza/Suzuka would be lower than a novelty event at a part-time locality?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2246486)   #28
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction
All jokes aside, the racing does appear to have a good mix of makes, shock horror - regular passing - and uses a standardised formula that applies to other parts of the world, which gives options for development, marketing and innovation that are not available locally.
GM already have options for cars they could use - the Chevrolet Lacetti (AKA Holden Viva) built by Ray Mallock Limited and the Holden/Opel Astra built in Schweden. They would like it as they wouldn't need to develop as many racing cars.

Ford could easily build a Focus.

If Toyota wanted to join the party some guys in Germany have built the Auris (that one is sold as part of the Corolla name plate in Aus I believe).

Also available in S2000 trim are SEAT Leon (petrol and diesel), BMW 320i (one of the more popular cars) and oddities including Volvo C30, BMW 120d, previous IS generation Lexus, Honda Accord and Civic ... and in the WTCC, a pair of Ladas!

BTW, the cheapest BTCC car I can see for sale on one website is a £28,500 (less than 60,000 AUD) Alfa 156. For something faster SEAT Toledos are available for £30K (63K AUD).
Old 7 Jul 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2246609)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apologies for double post by "cheapest BTCC car" I meant "cheapest S2000 car".
Old 11 Jul 2008, 00:35 (Ref:2248930)   #30
shorty226
Rookie

Australia
shorty226 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i would love to see the v8's over in the uk.
but would perffer the v8's went to america to steal fans from NASCAR
Old 11 Jul 2008, 05:24 (Ref:2248979)   #31
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars at Road America. Wishful thinking on my part, but stealing american fans would be a waste of time.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2249022)   #32
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But The Black Wiggle would want the V8SC as the main event. Not parked out the back in the support paddock at Brands or Silverstone.

This might cause a few problems as the UK promoters would not be as easy to fool as the promoters elsewhere.

Perhaps a class like Group A could work better in todays climate. We did have some small success with the hopelessly underfunded efforts of Brock/Moff in Europe. Dick Johnson had a bash in the old dart too.

It would be good if the V8SC could slot into a category over there so we can show the poms we can build a better car.

Otherwise it would be a novelty similar to the bearded ladies and gimps that you'd find at the circus. And I doubt you'd find many promoters willing to bank roll a bunch of convicts with their own transport. Regardless of how fast it goes.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2249082)   #33
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Not just for the Gridgirls

I'd certainy break a 15 year tradition and take myself to Silverstone and pay to see this. From what I've seen, there's some spectacular machinery in this series.
Aside from the Gridgirls (what a great thread that is 823 posts!), the cars look good too.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2250882)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
You can even see overtaking over there which is PROPER racing.
But you can see the same type of overtaking at any fairground. I've seen both BTCC and V8SC and I know which I prefer. I live in England, but you won't find me at a BTCC round, put it that way.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 05:48 (Ref:2251011)   #35
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorboy
BTCC in known as the 'Crash 'n' Bash' over here, questionable driving standards to say the least but I guess it makes for a good spectacle (although as a marshal I'd rather they behaved themselves out there).
As a spectator I'd rather see marshal's stay clear of an accident and not try to move a car until it is safe to do so. The incident a couple rounds ago where the marshal got hurt didn't need to happen. I was screaming at the TV telling the marshals to get back even before the next car came and crashed into the stationary car. And you don't need that many marshals attending to a car...

Anyway, the WTCC is 10 times (thats an accurate number, btw) more exciting than the V8 Supercars. The races at the Czech Republic were classic. Seeing Zanardi side by side with the leader on the last lap of the reverse grid race was great! And its not the first race like that this year.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.