Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Oct 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1439832)   #26
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Katherine is very level headed and she has plenty of experience to call upon. I'm not going anywhere, but if Minardi offered me a F1 test, I'd be there within the hour. I'd even go and drive the AGS in France given half a chance...

So this F1 test will not do Katherine any harm at all. She got the Atlantic test by having a confident attitude, simply by gate-crashing a private test of a dozen or so (male) drivers, laid her cards on the table, and said "give me a chance". The team did... and she has not looked back since.

It is only a couple of years ago that I last spoke with her at Silverstone, when I found her washing the race school cars for other punters to dirty again. No airs and graces, just commitment.

Good luck to her.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1442000)   #27
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed that even the 'quality' Sunday papers could not resist puns like 'Minardi to give Legge a break' or 'Minardi to give Katehrine a Legge up'. Daft really, but it makes a welcome change from all those 'Button' puns...

Rob.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1442021)   #28
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
I'm sure she once took a pole position in Formula Renault UK at Oulton Park.
Yep, I was at Oulton Park that weekend, IIRC she stalled at the start or had some mechanical problem that meant she had to start at the back of the grid. Will be a nice experience for her to test the Minardi I think, and won't do her any harm even if its unlikely to lead to anything long term
Old 24 Oct 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1442242)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kevin Kalkhoven has arranged this test for her, which makes me at least slightly suspicious that he's setting her up for a fall. If she struggles in this test, it's less likely that a Formula 1 team will hire her in the short term. That would ensure that she'd be keen to race in ChampCar - a series whose closest rival has gained tonnes of extra publicity through having a female driver this year. Certainly the test won't give her enough time to show her full potential, and only a handful of drivers have really shone in tehir first few laps in an F1 car.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1443918)   #30
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..and with that boots, I couldn't agree more. Thank God or Allah there's someone else who sees where this is not going to help her.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1443942)   #31
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She was a guest of Kalkhovens at the Belgian Grand Prix. Doesn't sound to me like he has any motive other than to get her into F1...

Rob
Old 26 Oct 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1444063)   #32
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.gp2005.com/news/controlle...&news_id=15453

look what Jenson thinks about the matter!!!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1444079)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson was talking to FHM, he was joking.

Lets hope he's not slated for this.

We've just had on another thread someone saying the drivers need to have more personality and less PC.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1444083)   #34
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

We've just had on another thread someone saying the drivers need to have more personality and less PC.

I'm sure we all know that he's joking?!

It would be so sad if he were to be slated. This whole world is far the worse for the PC Police and would be far better if many more of us had the nerve to make this sort of crack. If the butt of his joke can't take it and find ways to respond in kind, they aren't going to make much progress anywhere, let alone F1!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1444120)   #35
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Some people who hate JB will take this the wrong way still IMO though.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1444479)   #36
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as you can imagine, the press tomorrow will be full of it as it's been released by FHM this afternoon. It's all part of the machine and as far as I'm aware most of tomorrows stories and the responses from the girls have all been in good fun. He's just doing Eddie E's job.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1444581)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In FHM? Really? That doesn't sound likely. Too mainstream.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1446071)   #38
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He is rightfully getting slated for it. See:

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2151742005

It's a shame how money and success can transform someone...
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1446079)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see what money and success has to do with it. There are plenty of poor pants drivers that would say the same thing. (and has Jenson had any success yet? - joke)

Being in FHM is relevant as is being picked up by the Scotsman. Inherently both are worthless articles irrespective to the content!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1446081)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The story in the Scotsman is because FHM released a press release to promote their magazine on the back of a "controversial" article.

Nothing to slate Jenson for.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1446085)   #41
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
I think that Ralf Schumacher's wife (Cora), Ellen Lohr and Fiona Leggate are disagreeing with you guys. I particularly like the latter's comment:

''I think Button's mechanics tightened his belts so tightly that the oxygen has failed to reach his brain."

If FHM is such a worthless magazine, why did Jenson give them an interview to start with?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1446092)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's not a "worthless" magazine - but it's entertainment and clearly intended to a) provoke reaction and b) taken with a pinch of salt.

This Button story is a great example of how the media works.

As another example - TV chef Gordon Ramsay has a new show on this week. So, on Sunday he told a newspaper "women can't cook".

So then journalists like me go out and interview female chefs saying "Ramsay's wrong".

Result - plenty of publicity for him - and even though it seems to be attacking him, it means there's more awareness of him ahead of the new show.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1446094)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Unfortunately that is part of his job; to promote himself and his associates. The quote about the belts is funny though and shows the level of the situation; mildly distracting, but nothing to found a persecution on.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1446106)   #44
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Actually, the quote from Cora Schumacher (Ralf's wife) is funny too:

''I invite Button to take a ride in my car,'' she told the 'Bild' newspaper. ''Then he'll see who is the faster sex.''

Is she realling meaning what she said? If so, Ralf might be upset at the idea

I'm looking forward to reading a woman reaction from a 10/10th's member to Jenson's declaration...
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1446130)   #45
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
This Button story is a great example of how the media works.

As another example - TV chef Gordon Ramsay has a new show on this week. So, on Sunday he told a newspaper "women can't cook".

So then journalists like me go out and interview female chefs saying "Ramsay's wrong".

Result - plenty of publicity for him - and even though it seems to be attacking him, it means there's more awareness of him ahead of the new show.
Jenson is not selling anything to anyone and has already sold his driving abilities, body and soul to Honda for a while. I doubt very much that this story will be well perceived by Honda.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1446135)   #46
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Jenson is not selling anything to anyone and has already sold his driving abilities, body and soul to Honda for a while. I doubt very much that this story will be well perceived by Honda.
But the season is over so there's less publicity for F1. Any move like this could be seen as valuable.

Particularly as Danica Patrick is a Honda driver.

How about a head-to-head test? Or Danica gets a go in a BAR to shut Jenson up? Result: LOADS more publicity.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1446139)   #47
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
How about a head-to-head test? Or Danica gets a go in a BAR to shut Jenson up? Result: LOADS more publicity.
That would be great with Danica doing better than JB and saying after the test: "And I did it in my bad week!".

P.S. I still don't think Honda is enjoying the situation. JV was very good at getting the press attention and this more played against him than helped him.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1446151)   #48
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surely no-one actually believes Danica would be anywhere near Jenson in a BAR?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1446157)   #49
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh la la - that track is going to be warm before the first car goes even goes around - and I don't believe accidentally either. I think Legge has come a great distance and shown much courage in being where she is and putting herself out there. I think for pretty women in any career, racing included; beauty is sometimes blessing; sometimes curse and I'm sure she's aware. I think she's received some of the chances she has by being a pretty woman - I think she can expect some fallout also coming her way also by being a pretty woman. I think she knew the risks. I believe we all have the right to say no to situations we feel we are not ready for - and if she felt unready for a champ car, I think she should have graciously passed now on this F1 test. For comments being made about women's 1 week out of 4; I think Button should be slated for saying them - back to sandbox rules of if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. However, with the PMS card being also laid scientifically and successfully on many fronts for women's equity and rights around the globe - I think it foolish for women to take too strong a stance and deny science and nature by saying it to be a non-issue. Men are no picnic in their mid-life crises, either -nature is nature, life is life. I'd sure like to see it now as letting the slating be for the man who knew or ought to have known the risks of saying what he did; and let the rest of the women drop it and let the slating alone speak for them. However, that is not the course propaganda normally takes, and sadly, I fear that many important and worthy issues may go unnoticed while all cameras and mics are jammed and money being made on venus vs. mars on track.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1446165)   #50
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to be on Danica's defence team, though.