Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1984477)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
WTCC will go to Mexico City in April next year, that would be a nice double header.
Off topic for a sec, but would be great to see the ALMS come down there the same weekend, esp if they brought to SWC cars down with them. A comparison between the two series on the same track would be cool at least in my eyes. But what are the actual chances of the ALMS expanding their schedule?
Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1984482)   #27
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a race in Montreal would be awesome.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1984485)   #28
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Presumably, at Montreal, it would have to run with some other major series? I would've thought there must be some kind of limit on how many race weekends there can be there, and they already have a fair few I believe (this latter point may well be a total fiction of my mind, though)?
Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1984487)   #29
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right, only two race weekends allowed. Both taken up currently. But if F1 doesn't come next year, ALMS will have an opportunity.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 03:59 (Ref:1985895)   #30
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Portland back on the schedule as it is right by here. The 04-06 races were run duing a very hot part of the summer. Champ Car has had a race here for a long time in June so a double race couldn't work as that is time for Le Mans (if CC wants to keep that June date).
Old 14 Aug 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1988119)   #31
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Donnybrooke has a new owner who is said to be a true race fan.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1988356)   #32
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watching those NASCAR hulks trundle around Watkins Glen over the weekend I was again wishing that ALMS ran a 3 or 4 hour event there like in the old days (60 & 70s) when they had a 6 hour enduro at that track! So what if NASCAR owns the track, I can't imagine that an arrangement couldn't be made!

DK
Old 14 Aug 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1988481)   #33
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Watching those NASCAR hulks trundle around Watkins Glen over the weekend I was again wishing that ALMS ran a 3 or 4 hour event there like in the old days (60 & 70s) when they had a 6 hour enduro at that track! So what if NASCAR owns the track, I can't imagine that an arrangement couldn't be made!

DK
Rember NASCAR and the recent GA race used the SHORT WG circuit not the FULL WG circuit with the boot. The SPring 6 hour GA race used the FULL WG ciruit'.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 15:51 (Ref:1988528)   #34
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, the full course with the boot would be the only way for the ALMS guys to go. The short course is way too boring.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1988576)   #35
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In my humble opinion I do not think St. Jovite is quite as challenging as Mosport but it is close.
That said, the scenery blows Mosport out of the tub. Not just the natural scenery but the two legged kind too. Two places to go swimming at the track. One is dangerous unless you are a very good swimmer.
As it is a resort area (both summer and winter) there are lots of good restuarants and of course the Mt. Tremblant resort.
Mt. Tremblant itself can been seen from the track.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1988615)   #36
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Au N EGL & Broadrun96,

I agree, the full course at WG is the only way to go!

DK
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1988634)   #37
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long course and lose the stupid chicane at the end of the straight.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1991783)   #38
kbeech
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA
kbeech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see the ALMS at VIR for purely selfish reasons.

<<

Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1993680)   #39
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeech
I would love to see the ALMS at VIR for purely selfish reasons.

<<

Is VIR capable of handling a full ALMS field? Don't they usually split up the DP and GT fields at that track into separate races when GrandAM goes there? Being that I live in Maryland, and we only had Washington, DC a few years ago, it would be nice to have a "local" race sometime soon so I too would be happy to see a race at VIR if it can handle it.

DK
Old 21 Aug 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1993872)   #40
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Is VIR capable of handling a full ALMS field?
YES 3.27 miles long, 135 foot elevation change per lap, two long long straights, great climbing esses, and some short tight corners too.

Quote:
Don't they usually split up the DP and GT fields at that track into separate races when GrandAM goes there?
Yes the GA does. Only to give the GT cars a longer race in fall.

Quote:
Being that I live in Maryland, and we only had Washington, DC a few years ago, it would be nice to have a "local" race sometime soon so I too would be happy to see a race at VIR if it can handle it.

DK
DC is only a few hours away. VIR is 10 miles SE of Danville VA.

web site: http://www.virclub.com
Old 21 Aug 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1993880)   #41
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know AMA run there as well and some of those guys complain about it being a bit tight (narrow). Which says something coming from bike racers. Any truth to that? What about facilities? There are lots of tracks out there, but not all of them can handle an ALMS race.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1993898)   #42
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
GA only started doing the split race at VIR this year; 2002-2006 saw all the classes combined (2002 was a 500-miler). Also, last year's GA Cup race had over 80 cars on track with the combined ST and GS classes.

I don't know. I think either configuration of Watkins Glen would be alright. The short (original) circuit is simple and very fast, and there's something wild about seeing the cars come swinging out of the Carousel and onto the long straight following it. The Boot adds lap length, further technical challenges, and some great elevation changes. I kind of like that GA runs both.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1993903)   #43
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Au N Egl,

Thanks for the information, I will hope for a race at VIR as it seems to be close and would be a fine venue for an ALMS event.

DK
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1993904)   #44
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I know AMA run there as well and some of those guys complain about it being a bit tight (narrow). Which says something coming from bike racers. Any truth to that? What about facilities? There are lots of tracks out there, but not all of them can handle an ALMS race.
Serious question; just what do you mean by facilities?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1993906)   #45
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's no narrower than Road America. Some of the esses and other corners make VIR seem narrower than it really is, but that's part of the challenge.

Turn 1 on lap 1 is tight for anyone (bunched field into a tight turn). The bikes do NOT run the full course (3.27 miles). They use the 2.25-mile North Course, which bypasses the Climbing Esses, Oak Tree, and the 4,000-ft backstretch. The section the bikes use runs from the Up Hill to where it rejoins at Roller Coaster, and consists entirely of slow to medium-speed esses.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1993913)   #46
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Serious question; just what do you mean by facilities?
Garage space, pit space, media center, parking, and the like. To a lessor extent, but still important, restrooms, grandstands, food vendors...

Take Buttonwillow here in California. Great track, but it practically has none of the above. You have to be able to accommodate the teams, workers, and fans that go along with an ALMS race.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1993916)   #47
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
AMA runs on VIR North course not the VIR Full course. North course has some turns called the "stevie Wonders" blind off camber esses, which are not part of the FULL course and very tight when we race there too.

VIR has Garages, a Hotel, 1800 cir. club house with 4 star resteraunt, Huge Paddock, lots of bathrooms, Suites over looking the front straights above the garages, Lots and Lots of grassie hill areas for spectators with great viewing of many parts of the circuite, New villias being built over looking the climbing esses. Large Media center and timing tower with live WIFI for timing and results. its own radio frequency to listen to races,

Parking for several thousand spectator cars, two additional cafes and several thousand hotel rooms in Danville VA ( 12 miles ) and South Boston VA. ( 15 miles) Medical helicopter landing pads. A Pro shop, a historic race car museum.

Photo from a few years ago when we had some track time with some GA DPs

Purist is absolutely correct, some of VIR APPEARS to be narrow, but that is the only on the up hill esses, which were designed in the late 50s and built in the 60s. When they repaved the track they did not want to loose the up hill esses characteristics.

I go up at 130, GA DPs go up at 150 mph. I lap VIR Full at 2:05- 2:06 the GA DPs lap at 1:52. Track record is in an old Bennettant F1 car at 1:29

Last edited by AU N EGL; 21 Aug 2007 at 18:41.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1993919)   #48
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Good info AU N EGL. Thanks. Sounds like a good place for the ALMS to consider. Which begs the question, why haven't they considered VIR? And if they have, why didn't they go?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1993925)   #49
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Good info AU N EGL. Thanks. Sounds like a good place for the ALMS to consider. Which begs the question, why haven't they considered VIR? And if they have, why didn't they go?
A promotor puts on the race, not the Race track itself. Find the promotor and sponsor, plus a slot in the calander. Labor day weekend ( first weekend in Sept ) would be a great weekend.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1993927)   #50
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
It appears that ALMS has a few tracks where they like to have "traditional races". I guess Road Atlanta, Road America, Lime Rock and Laguna Seca fit that mold. They also appear to like to try new venues every so often. For example, this year they haved added St. Petersburgh and Belle Isle to name a few. I wonder if they have some sort of committee that looks for new venues or do they wait until they get proposals from promotors at various venues and then take that information to a committee to make selections? Anyway, it would be nice to be able to send them some recommendations from the fans! Like, hey you guys read this thread and see what some potential paying customers think! It would be great if they would consider VIR and Watkins Glen!

DK