Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a pork pie
Up to 2 quid for a pack of 6 minis 7 7.69%
Depends on the pie. Mmmmmmm...Pie.....back in a minute 51 56.04%
I'm a vegetarian - it's wrong to eat cute little piggy wiggies 0 0%
I'm Gluten Intolerant, you insensitive git 2 2.20%
I found a pork pie at the bottom of my bag - it's a bit green - do you think it's safe to eat it? 12 13.19%
2013 regs state that Pork Pies must be of a specific size and composition 4 4.40%
Scotch Eggs FTW! 8 8.79%
Lorne Sausage on a proper roll! (Look it up heathens!) 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3031915)   #26
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Ginsters Buffet Bar - Yum Yum..............

Bladders.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3031916)   #27
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I has already spoiled my ballot paper, since the oppresive Pious (sorry Pie-ist) forced me to take one of their choices.
In the interests of impartiality (and because I CAN!) I have deleted your vote, so please feel free to exercise your Porky-Eggyness and re-vote as your conscience sees fit.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3031929)   #28
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by colincragg View Post
As citizen of Melton Mowbray I would like to remind my marshalling colleagues that the Melton Mowbay Pork Pie now has listed European status and only Pork Pies made in and around Melton Mowbray can be advertised and sold as a Melton Mowbay Pork Pie. Personally I prefer the real thing and not the cheap imitations sold in supermarkets.
Totally agree - I was in Melton Mowbray recently & had the best pork pie I have ever tasted!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3031931)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I had just taken a bite out of my Pork Pie when Jason Plato rolled in front of us.
Eating during a session? Goodness me.

Can we add "Plato Rolls" to the poll, please? Their popularity might be questionable though!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3031934)   #30
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I has already spoiled my ballot paper, since the oppresive Pious (sorry Pie-ist) forced me to take one of their choices.

I would need to eat quite a few more pies than I already do before I "spoil my ballot paper", It is a euphemism isn't it?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3031967)   #31
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think retirement has hit Dave Brand hard!
Is there no gardening to be done?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3031968)   #32
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Eating during a session? Goodness me.

Can we add "Plato Rolls" to the poll, please? Their popularity might be questionable though!
The outside looks pretty good, but I believe the filling is foul......
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3031975)   #33
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Tounge firmly lodged in cheek, BTW.................
You're only saying that to cover yourself now!
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3031981)   #34
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely true story - I was posted at Brooklands for 750 MC and we had a flaggie who was a guest form a different country - continent even.

Said guest had never heard of Pork Pies, or the reputation they had with British Marshals. Anyhow a PP was duly sliced into two, our guest tasted it and thought it foul! She simply did not believe our stories of the incidents pork pies could magically attract!

I went on to eat my half with the comment (tongue firmly in cheek of course) - "You watch what happens now!"

About 10 seconds later the lead group of Locosts came thundering down "Wellie Straight" only to have a large coming together at Brooklands - one driver ended up with an escaping wheel on his lap. As the flaggie dutifully started waving the yellow, I simply finished my mouthful, turned to her, and said, with some amount of smugness -

"Told you so!"

To say she was incredulous, with her jaw dropped, is a bit of an understatement.

Love it when the Great Cosmic Joker plays ball.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3031986)   #35
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As citizen of Melton Mowbray .... Personally I prefer the real thing
A mate of mine once worked in a PP factory, probably in Melton, and swore off the things for life after seeing them made (guess you can say that about a lot of things tho')
Old 27 Feb 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3031987)   #36
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
The Scotch need not include pork - or even anything that might have once been meat.
I'm sure I have had pork pies that would conform to that product specification.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3032160)   #37
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cost of pies has now passed a litre of diesel!.................but we need "both" to enjoy our marshaling
Old 28 Feb 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3032310)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
".... A PORK PIE FACTORY IN NUNEATON..."
Old 28 Feb 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3032381)   #39
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An exercise in logic ...

Melton Mowbray is the home of Pedigree Petfoods, aka Pedigree Chum.

Pedigree Chum is made from meat which is suitable for human consumption.

Melton Mowbray Pies are also made from meat suitable for human consumption.

And the conclusion is ...
Old 28 Feb 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3032384)   #40
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
And the conclusion is ...
Pedigree Chum should henceforth be referred to as "Melton Mowbray Chum" and all other dog foods can only be called "Generic Chum"?

I notice that no-one has voted for the Vegetarian option....!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3032413)   #41
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought our dog was fed better than me. It's a bit of a shock to find that it's really only "as well as me" .

Steve
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3032480)   #42
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wikipedia entry

Contrary to popular belief, the current Pork Pie originated in the North of England as the Dog Pie or Growler. Its popularity started when the first whippets reached the end of their racing lives at “t’dogtrak” (local racing venue) and proved to be a useful form of sustenance to mill workers (aka Grafters).

The dog’s collar was often used to strap the Growler to the Grafter’s wrist so that both hands could still be used ”Tut Work.” (The Lunch Break had not yet moved north of Watford.) In some modern pork pies, an egg is left in the centre in homage to the old practise of leaving the dog’s eyes in the pie in order to help see the worker through the week.

It also allowed the Grafter the use of both hands when “rolling his cap” in front of “T’Boss”, typically whilst using expressions such as, “’Appen, sithee, tha’ nost, Guvner, young Arkwright gorriz nobbler crushed in’t Spinnin’ Jenny agin”, and so forth.

With the arrival of the RSPCA, the Growler was changed to pork but the term Grunter was not commonly adopted. The historic connection between the original Growler and the modern reproduction can still be found in Melton Mowbray.

Its use at Motor Racing Venues as a calamity catalyst also started in the North and was rapidly noticed further south. The mechanism of this function is currently the subject of considerable scientific debate. The magnetic quality of the modern Growler seems to vary according to its manufacturer, size, length of time left in a bag or even if the owner is aware of its existence.

Studies at the Silverstone Research Facility are inconclusive but experimental work at the Anglesey Development Site seems to indicate that leaving a large one at the entrance to Rocket on the first lap of a Legends race achieves the desired effect more often than not.

These properties are now under investigation at CERN. Preliminary research indicates that there is insufficient metal in a Growler (depends on manufacturer) to generate the electro-magnetic field necessary to attract a moving vehicle. However, a great deal of excitement is now afoot concerning the Growler and the search for the elusive Higgs Boson.

The Higgs Boson particle is suspected to be the source of mass, or gravity. The fact that the Common Grower is also a clear source of a spontaneous local gravitational field has led a team at CERN to speculate that the search for the Higgs Boson should be refocused away from near-light-speed collisions between Protons, towards the meat counter at Sainsbury’s.

Speculation that the Higgs Boson may have caused the spontaneous creation of multitudes of Growlers and Antigrowlers within half a second of the Big Bang is now under active investigation at Oulton Park where Dr David Brand is leading a team of experts to see if spare Growlers can be found in the aftermath of a big bang at Druids. Research continues.

Last edited by numbersix; 28 Feb 2012 at 15:29.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3032485)   #43
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland

It is against forum rules to cause an admin to spit tea all over her monitor and then fall off the chair due to excessive LOLage......

Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3032489)   #44
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
I think retirement has hit Dave Brand hard!
Is there no gardening to be done?
Gardening? What's that? I've been retired 17 years & not done any gardening yet!

. . . and judging from his latest post, Gawd 'elp us when Numbersix retires!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3032491)   #45
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Studies at the Silverstone Research Facility are inconclusive but experimental work at the Anglesey Development Site seems to indicate that leaving a large one at the entrance to Rocket on the first lap of a Legends race achieves the desired effect more often than not.
That reminds me, I must try and find the pics of A1GP where we had a large Growler on each of the armco uprights.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3032492)   #46
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post

It is against forum rules to cause an admin to spit tea all over her monitor and then fall off the chair due to excessive LOLage......

Sorry
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3032493)   #47
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Ok it's not really against the rules. But it should be.

Although it's off topic, it's kind of on-topic.

May I raise the subject of the magnetic properties of tea and jaffa cakes...?
Old 28 Feb 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3032610)   #48
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post

May I raise the subject of the magnetic properties of tea and jaffa cakes...?
Ah, JC's! These wonderful confections are a boon to mankind . . . as they contain both oranges & chocolate they supply two of the "five a day" which the nutrition Nazis insist that we consume! Tea, as it's made from leaves, may be counted as a vegetable, sugar is manufactured from either beet or cane so is obviously a vegetable while milk comes from cows which are vegetarian so can be counted as a proxy vegetable. So, tea & Jaffa cakes - there's yer five!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3032671)   #49
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I was thinking more about their effect on Rallycross cars, but yeah that works too
Old 29 Feb 2012, 00:08 (Ref:3032739)   #50
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
That reminds me, I must try and find the pics of A1GP where we had a large Growler on each of the armco uprights.
I think the photo to which you refer is in the grid girl thread. Or have I completely misunderstood?