Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2000, 08:09 (Ref:54393)   #26
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they could try to give one point for each overtaking (not for lapping, or pit-overtaking). This could make the show more impressive, but I'm afraid TGF (or somebody else) would fail starts to breakthrough and score more.
Old 27 Dec 2000, 12:17 (Ref:54404)   #27
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by RussianFriend
Maybe they could try to give one point for each overtaking (not for lapping, or pit-overtaking).
But suppose two McLarens (or two Ferraris, or two Minardis) are driving behind each other and start leapfrogging each other...

Old 27 Dec 2000, 12:32 (Ref:54407)   #28
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let me have a try at this...

10 points for the driver setting the fastest time in qualifications, 6 points for the second time, 4, 3, 2 1 points for nr 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Race starts in reverse order.

30 (3*10) points for winning the race, 18 (3*6) for second, 12, 9, 6, 3 for nr 3, 4, 5 and 6.

(And maybe 1 bonus point for every driver who managed to lead the race for a total of at least 3 laps?)
Old 27 Dec 2000, 18:33 (Ref:54444)   #29
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmmmm....
count me as someone who don't support a change in the point system

reason no.1- the current point system is perfect
reson no.2 - no need to give incentives for pole, everyone is trying damn hard to get a pole, unlike bike racing where most riders are happy enough to be on front row.

reason no.3 - there won't be any specialty of having earned a point in Formula One. any team can earn a point by finishing in top ten or so on,

reason no.4 - in a title deciding race, where one point can give a driver a championship, we want to see a guy at least not having it too easy by having to finish in top 6, not cruising to finish 12th and get the title
Old 27 Dec 2000, 18:36 (Ref:54445)   #30
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a modest proposal

Jay is right. You cant award points for leading laps in a series where overtaking is so rare.

The object of a race is to win it. Therefore the only lap for which the leader should be rewarded is the last lap.

Why not run the race, then award points at random? A drawing would determine which position received how many points. This would eliminate all of the nastiness called "competition" and niceness would break out all over. Instead of playing the winners national anthem, we would all hold hands for a round of "I'd like to teach the world to sing....".

Supress gag response now.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 02:37 (Ref:54508)   #31
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or don't award any points. First three guys across the line get to buy lunch for the rest of the field.

Actually the first guy across is the only one who should get points. The rest of them are losers.
Old 28 Dec 2000, 07:12 (Ref:54523)   #32
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Interesting idea Don K. Loved they idea of reversing the grid. Not because it's fair, but because we would either find out passing WAS possible, or minardi would win the championship.

We do not need to give points for pole,fastest lap, passing or "Mr Congeniality" (good one ), I also agree that the winner should by far and away have the points weighted in there favor.

My biggest interests are:

1. Would this reduce the number of retirements if points went back to 10th or 12th. (I hate being at (or watching) a GP where only 8 or 9 cars finish)

2. Although it won't change the ultimate championship (or 6th for that matter) would it be fairer for those further down the grid in the overall championship standings. eg. Do the bottom 4 or 5 teams always look right of do some of them just get lucky?

I can still only hear tradition being spoken for keeping it the same.......