Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2177737)   #26
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No apologies needed Mr Samoan Attorney and I understand that one of the Audi drivers has a new approved method of getting camera crew out of his way! or so Piglet informs me
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:30 (Ref:2177740)   #27
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
What's really **** is when the photogs get a vest where there is a limited amount, ie Goodwood events, then sit around having a pampered lunch and chin wag when somebody could be using it.

PS Don't do this

So that's what I'm supposed to do at races! I'll cancel all my breakfast, lunch and dinner meetings with teams to get assignments clarified, interview drivers and team before the days racing starts!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2177871)   #28
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like it ain't cheap to do LMS then!
Mind you, it makes sense.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2177897)   #29
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
No its not cheap. When I started I was very please that a couple of the established pro's gave me good sound advice and help, mainly over beer! From that help I've been able to work (and still do through in a different role now) at many of the Endurance and some GP circuits around the world. Plus I've gained a collection of very dear friends and contacts throughout the racing world from club racing, Le Mans etc and F1
Old 15 Apr 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2177940)   #30
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Thankyou very much

I do have a little bit of pitlane experience, having snuck there before- and I think keeping clear of moving race cars is common sense!
Just to show how easy it is to get distracted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SkczChH03k

Apologies for the language .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2177987)   #31
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For LMS you have to have fireproof trousers??
I thought fireproofs were required for pretty much everything where there's re-fueling involved.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2178228)   #32
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I thought fireproofs were required for pretty much everything where there's re-fueling involved.
It depends on the reg's and I'm a bit out of touch about what it applies to other than LM and LMS. I think it may apply to FIA GT's during the race only but I can't be bothered to read the regs and we're not going

To pick up on a previous point, working as media isn't meant to be cheap, it should be a way of making a living, you charge a sufficient rate to cover your travelling costs, time, expertise and any other equipment required.

Sadly most people don't which is why their is (with a few honourable exceptions) virtually no "professional" market left at all.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2178328)   #33
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Manu Samoa, etc?

I shall be having a STERN word in young sir's EAR before he goes anywhere trackside. I've been there, in orange Proban, he hasn't. I've seen things happen that are hard to credit.

Number one is how you need eyes in the back of your head!

He's excited, he's young. He is VERY lucky.

I really, sincerely, pray he stays lucky! It's me who has to talk to his Mother after all, and we divorced 10 short years ago...

Jake, lesson the first. Shut up and LISTEN. You might just learn something.

Second, find Jeff Bloxham. He knows what he's doing. Watch and learn!

Third, NEVER get so wrapped up in the pix you forget the world around you.
This is something you seem to think I do, at times? My ears are always working, even when my eyes are busy...

Dad.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2178331)   #34
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
So that's what I'm supposed to do at races! I'll cancel all my breakfast, lunch and dinner meetings with teams to get assignments clarified, interview drivers and team before the days racing starts!
Of course I'm exagerating, but only a little bit
Old 15 Apr 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2178423)   #35
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Second, find Jeff Bloxham. He knows what he's doing. Watch and learn!
No he doesn't... all the crashes happen near him...

Seriously though, Jeff is full of good advice. Just be very careful, I know it's exciting to be trackside, but the pitlane especially is bloody dangerous. The first time I had a media pass I had a walk down the pitlane and a briefing of dos and donts, and it was very helpful, and that was a smaller event. If a mechanic or team member yells at you to move or dragz you out of the way do it and just accept it.

Secondly, act professionally. It's quite good fun being trackside at a big race, but some of us pay our bills from it and don't take too kindly to people being there just for a bit of fun!

Hope you have an enjoyable and successful time!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2178445)   #36
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
My main intention is to get out there, enjoy it, but basically stay out of the way of just about everything- i'm not gonna tread on any toes if i can avoid it. my main aim is to stay alive and get asked back.

There does seem to be a feeling from one or two that i'm a stupid ignorant know it all- that simply is not the case. I've read and re-read what was sent to me by SRO for the accreditation, and the same with this thread.

Saying "I hope you do not get a pit pass for your first race" seems a bit short sighted- if i do not get one, then i still have no experience the second time. Pitlane is pitlane, you gotta learn sometime.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2178451)   #37
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's fair enough, but you wouldn't walk on a building site or down a mine without the appropriate training and experience. Just be careful and try and find someone who can help you out and give you a bit of a briefing on practice day or something.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2178466)   #38
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Yeah, I agree. And I know of a few people going, I'll see if I can get a quick practice day run down.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2178500)   #39
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There really isn't much I can add to what has already been written, but to highlight that in the pits in particular you need to be totally on your game every second, your ears are as important as your eyes.

I always try to make sure that I have a way out if something goes wrong, I try to not have my back against a wall. And always remember that things can change very quickly and when they do you don't want to be in the way.

I wouldn't say that I hope you don't get access the first time you are there, as you said that would still leave you without any experience, at the end of the day we all had to venture into the pits that first time, a smaller event may be a better option though. When you do go in for the first time do it at a time that isn't so busy and even stick to the pit wall side, get a feel for what it is like to be that close the action, get a feel for how things happen.

Above all, be safe...
Old 16 Apr 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2178529)   #40
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:

Saying "I hope you do not get a pit pass for your first race" seems a bit short sighted- if i do not get one, then i still have no experience the second time. Pitlane is pitlane, you gotta learn sometime.
Its not being short-sighted its being realistic Pit lane passes and with FIA pit and pit wall pass(they are different) are for the more experienced and often more well know snappers, I think that pit wall passes for FIA races are ONLY for snappers who have series accreditation not a one off.

At most of the big events Le Mans etc when you apply for accreditation for the first few years you will only get track access then once your a more common feature of the media centre they consider a pit lane pass at Sebring you pay for a right to go in the live pit lane very few "red" vests are issued the rest of us work from behind the wall and in our FIA approved race suits. On race day only suited and booted in pits area.

I was lucky on my first application to Le Mans, LMS and FIA I got accreditation then after two or three years access for Pit Lane and Track.
The ACO check out snappers web sites if your works not up to standard or your flogging your work for non media purposes, they will turn you down the next year
Old 16 Apr 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2178578)   #41
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My main intention is to get out there, enjoy it, but basically stay out of the way of just about everything- i'm not gonna tread on any toes if i can avoid it. my main aim is to stay alive and get asked back.

There does seem to be a feeling from one or two that i'm a stupid ignorant know it all- that simply is not the case. I've read and re-read what was sent to me by SRO for the accreditation, and the same with this thread.

Sorry, it's entirely how I feel, pit lanes in international endurance racing are places of work and bleeding dangerous. They are no place for a rookie learning the ropes with their first media pass.

Get accredited for other lower level meetings where there are refuelling and driver change stops and learn how it all works, learn the signs that tell you when a mechanic is going to lob a wheel gun or a wheel in your direction, work out how difficult it is to get around when there are airlines and pit trolleys scattered around the place. Work out that you can't hear cars coming down behind you because you can't differentiate between cars on the track and cars in the pit lane.

Not all pit lanes are the same, a pit lane for a non refuelling, non driver change race will be empty other than those competitors for whom the race is over, it bears no resemblence to especially the last hour or a safety car period of an edurance race where every tenth of a second spent in the pits can win or lose a race.

You should be very nice to Samoan Attorney and Mike H, these guys can both help you a lot, they are both very good at what they do and are part of a very few people who make their living at this game.

I'd also suggest you listen to your Dad.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2178589)   #42
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
and are part of a very few people who make their living at this game.

I'd also suggest you listen to your Dad.
Now I know that parts not true! They may scrape enough to pay to get to events, there are few who make a decent living from just motorsport, many now have to diversify into other fields of photography (and you know whom I talk of piglet) or have other jobs to pay the rent.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2178935)   #43
jimmie
Rookie

jimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
That's fair enough, but you wouldn't walk on a building site or down a mine without the appropriate training and experience. Just be careful and try and find someone who can help you out and give you a bit of a briefing on practice day or something.
Just an idea, but maybe you could put minimangler in touch with the person that trained you on your first accredited meeting.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2178945)   #44
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
I think they will be fairly busy, and it's not really their responsibility...
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2178960)   #45
jimmie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I think they will be fairly busy, and it's not really their responsibility...
Just wandering, but 4 us young budding photografers who would like to get into accreditation for an F1 race, how would we be able to get us the training? Can you put us in touch with anyone who can train us?

I'm hoping to get someone to pay me to take photos at the Singapore GP.

Here is one of my photos

Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2178968)   #46
jimmie
Rookie

I took it on my fone. But if someone pays me to shoot then I can aford a proppa camera
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2178998)   #47
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
I took it on my fone. But if someone pays me to shoot then I can aford a proppa camera
..and perhaps a dictionary as well?! Have a look at the T's & C's for the site, I think they prohibit text speak so we'd appreciate your best school English.

Anyway....pay you to shoot take a look through the old threads, there is sod all money in motorsport photography so your dream of someone paying you to go to Singapore to shoot F1 is sadly exactly that I'd imagine.

TBH most new or wannabe snappers chat to existing snappers around the track (you'll usually find some in the bar...) and find people to help them, some post on sites like this and find assistance. I'd imagine if the OP had gone about his thread differently he may have received offers of assistance, that's what usually happens.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2179007)   #48
jimmie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
you'll usually find some in the bar...
Thats a shame, IAm only 11, so I'm not alloweed in the bar.

I did read the TC but I didnt understand most of it. I only recently moved to England from Poland and only no the English I was tort at school.

Can anyone give me advise on how to improve my photo? Its my dream to go to Singapore and I m very determind
Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2179095)   #49
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Piglet? "Quit with the negative waves"?
Try to make SOME encouraging noises. Let's face it, the odds ARE hugely stacked against this kid making it. So why not encourage them to do the best they can?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2179150)   #50
jimmie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Piglet? "Quit with the negative waves"?
Try to make SOME encouraging noises. Let's face it, the odds ARE hugely stacked against this kid making it. So why not encourage them to do the best they can?
Thank you Tim.