Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4058699)   #26
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
going off topic, but this is always what i liked about Lauda being such an integral part of that Merc team. likewise with Ocon, i feel Prost must be helping him along. Button is doing this with Williams i believe. RB have Marko to mixed results.

maybe manager was not quite the correct position to suggest but who does Mclaren use for driver coaching/mentoring? do they have a former driver working in this capacity?
It's a good question. As always, it an overall team thing because everyone can play a part, but yeah, there has to be someone who is more responsible than others. I think support from above and then someone (or group) who work with the driver to look at the data, come up with a plan and then work the plan. I hope this is happening. And I hope Ricciardo is someone who accepts the feedback.

This reminds me of an unrelated story. I have a book series I enjoy that is available as audio book only on Amazon/Audible. The author has commented on why he likes to self publish. And one (of many) reasons was that he wouldn't have an editor telling him to make changes, make the book shorter, etc. I can appreciate that. And while his books are good. They frankly would probably be much better if he did have an editor! His stories need to be trimmed down. He writes as if he is paid by the word. The problem is, he is successful enough at the moment that he can just keep doing what he is doing even if people groan and complain about the length of the books.

Anyhow, my point is that if you are a successful driver, hopefully you have some humble bone in your body that recognizes that sometimes you are not right and that you need to listen to someone else. If you are provided with a support system, then use it (not saying Ricciardo is not as I have zero clue). Given the ultimate confidence that F1 drivers must have in themselves, that is a tough thing to ask of them.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2021, 22:57 (Ref:4058753)   #27
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Apart from this maybe....?
Correct. I'll give him that one
Old 28 Jun 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4058754)   #28
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I knew the Aussies would be along to defend him.

If you were more impartial you would see the faults. He is a lovely guy and can be very fast, but is so inconsistent, which drives the engineers bananas. This has only been getting worse in recent seasons and will cost him his drive unless he can reverse the trend.

and heeeeeeeeeeeere we go.

I had no flag on my Ten-tenths name my post would have not changed. I'd suspect yours would have.

Now instead of seeing some silly little flag-shaped box with some colours and casting a character evaluation you had bothered to check my posting history over my 18yrs on this forum; you'd see I actually have no allegiance to any particular driver over the other and I'm a lover of the sport.

Dan's not having a good season thus far. But sure, McLaren are going to throw away millions in ripping up his contract to sign a guy that's done a couple of okay races in *checks notes* America.

Righto champ

Your last two posts have been way off the mark.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4058755)   #29
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Im an aussie, and a number 1 dan fan, but for the most part he did a good but not amazing job at Reggie's and now he is lost. Somewhere something has gone awry and needs addressing. a mental, physical or the people he is with.

Or has he lost the hunger? he is one of the highest paid drivers, maybe he subconsciously is only going 9.6 tenths most of the time.

at his best he can beat max and lulu, but he hasnt been at his best except for brief moments the last season or two.... starting to look like dan at his best is better than max or lulu's average days.

he needs to go into the room full of mirrors take a long hard look at himself and come back ANGRY, he aint young any more. Its time to **** or get off the pot. He is headed in the same direction as Weber.. very good, but made some poor choices, and not quite good enough
He does need to lift. France showed his old self but he needs to keep that going. Shame about his power loss in Austria, hopefully he can bounce back this weekend. Lando's definitely putting him in the shade at the moment.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 02:33 (Ref:4058766)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
McLaren race reports calls out a temporary power issue (which was later resolved) as the cause for Ricciardo loosing a number of positions and then that setting the tone for the rest of the race.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/...an-grand-prix/

Richard
Yet you see Mr Hamilton carry his sick dog at various points of events and still score strong points, and like on the weekend, bang in a fastest lap on the very last lap of the race with marbles all over the place.. and a car that isnt as strong as a Red Bull...

Meantime Mr Ricciardo came... kinda nowhere...

I hate for this to be the case... having a competitive Aussie in F1 is a good reason to stay up late/get up early to watch...

Mr Brown and Mr Seidl are publicly supporting their driver... perhaps overly so... so its good from a team rahrah basis...

Behind the scenes cannot be going that well..

Webber to McLaren?
Old 29 Jun 2021, 05:34 (Ref:4058777)   #31
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
and heeeeeeeeeeeere we go.

I had no flag on my Ten-tenths name my post would have not changed. I'd suspect yours would have.

Now instead of seeing some silly little flag-shaped box with some colours and casting a character evaluation you had bothered to check my posting history over my 18yrs on this forum; you'd see I actually have no allegiance to any particular driver over the other and I'm a lover of the sport.

Dan's not having a good season thus far. But sure, McLaren are going to throw away millions in ripping up his contract to sign a guy that's done a couple of okay races in *checks notes* America.

Righto champ

Your last two posts have been way off the mark.
Not having a good season so far?

Or last season.

Or the season before.

Or the season before that.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 06:28 (Ref:4058779)   #32
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I knew the Aussies would be along to defend him.

If you were more impartial you would see the faults. He is a lovely guy and can be very fast, but is so inconsistent, which drives the engineers bananas. This has only been getting worse in recent seasons and will cost him his drive unless he can reverse the trend.
Mate, if you want to speak objectively, I'm your guy! Let's go!

Wanna speak facts? Let's speak facts.

2020 season.

Daniel Ricciardo - 5th in the wdc driving a car that was 5th in the wcc. (look up how often that happens in F1 history?)

Lando Norris - 9th in the wdc in a car that was 3rd in the wcc. 3 places behind his teammate, and 4 behind Ricciardo.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 06:48 (Ref:4058780)   #33
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Or last season.

Or the season before.

Last season was magnificent. I'm not sure what kpi you use for judgments?

2019 was nothing special, but still on par.

Consider despite your diminished view of him, he still beat Norris that season driving an inferior car. 9th in a car that was 5th in the wcc, while Norris was 11th in a car that was 4th in the wcc.

2018 was skewed heavily by more than reasonable unreliability If you look closer than what you do, you'd see he got the better of Verstappen when accounting for unreliability. I can look it up for you if you like?

2021? For whatever superiority Norris has, he's been given two freebies from the pits (Imola and France).
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4058781)   #34
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Mate, if you want to speak objectively, I'm your guy! Let's go!

Wanna speak facts? Let's speak facts.

2020 season.

Daniel Ricciardo - 5th in the wdc driving a car that was 5th in the wcc. (look up how often that happens in F1 history?)

Lando Norris - 9th in the wdc in a car that was 3rd in the wcc. 3 places behind his teammate, and 4 behind Ricciardo.
Don't bother mate, your flag on your avatar renders your opinion irrelevant (apparently).
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:02 (Ref:4058782)   #35
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
2018 was skewed heavily by more than reasonable unreliability If you look closer than what you do, you'd see he got the better of Verstappen when accounting for unreliability. I can look it up for you if you like? .
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Of course he did!
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4058784)   #36
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:

Or last season.

Or the season before.

Amazing fact-based opinions there.

I'm sure Zac Brown would have loved to have had your consultation last year before signing him on millions on a multi-year contract when he could have signed Pat O'Ward for so much less.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:21 (Ref:4058786)   #37
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Of course he did!
2018 season.

In races either did not have mechanical failures and or/dnfs, Ricciardo scored 134pts to Verstappen's 129.

This includes Verstappen's 15th at Silverstone as a dnf, despite being classified as a finisher. Ricciardo gets an extra 10pts otherwise.

2017 season.

In races either did not have mechanical failures and or/dnfs, Ricciardo scored 90pts to Verstappen's 88.

From memory, this is a time where Verstappen was often the source of his own dnfs. But I can't verify how often.

Last edited by 2 litre Touring Car Star; 29 Jun 2021 at 07:35.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:26 (Ref:4058788)   #38
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Amazing fact-based opinions there.

I'm sure Zac Brown would have loved to have had your consultation last year before signing him on millions on a multi-year contract when he could have signed Pat O'Ward for so much less.
You guys are so partisan.

Yeah, I’m so certain Brown is so delighted he signed him now.

At least it makes his personal investment in Lando look better.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4058791)   #39
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So was the series of Red Bulls he drove so good that it enhanced his reputation? I have to say that Norris is demonstrating a good deal of ability as he seems to be achieving better results than anybody outside Red Bull and Mercedes and with a team mate several places behind.Of course it could just be the way in which the engineers are responding to his comments and requests.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 23:05 (Ref:4058941)   #40
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
You guys are so partisan.

Yeah, I’m so certain Brown is so delighted he signed him now.

At least it makes his personal investment in Lando look better.
The fact you keep going back to the fact I am Australian as your counter argument tells me how far out of your depth you are here.

No idea.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 00:46 (Ref:4058954)   #41
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
The fact you keep going back to the fact I am Australian as your counter argument tells me how far out of your depth you are here.

No idea.
100% agree. You appear to have no idea. I haven’t mentioned a single person I don’t know. You want to tell us how he’s actually doing great from how far? I’m sorry he’s not been doing so great. But he’s been getting his arse handed to him. He desperately needs to improve or he’s on his way.

Last edited by peebee2; 30 Jun 2021 at 00:53.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 00:49 (Ref:4058955)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too far. stop it.

We’re back to location checks out. Obviously for some that has a ring of truth and it ruins it. But for others it doesn’t and simply dismissing for that reason also ruins it.

Frankly if you can’t bear others to have different views 10-10ths is not for you.

You haven’t backed up your opinion! Reading through this thread goes both ways!

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Jun 2021 at 00:54.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 15:33 (Ref:4059192)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don’t know if you guys can take this , but Schummy has updated the latest team mate comparisons:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...70#post4059170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
Teammates comparison after ... after, how they call it?... Well, let's say Austria 1.
Code:
        BAH IMO POR SPA MON AZB FRA STY .. TOT . GRD .RAC .Prb              
HAM-BOT  11  11  01  11  01  10  11  11 = 13- 3  6-2  7-1  98%   Busted by HAM
VER-PER  11  01  11  11  11  10  11  11 = 14- 2  7-1  7-1  99.6% Utterly busted by VER
LEC-SAI  11  11  01  11  10  11  00  10 = 10- 6  6-2  5-3  55%   Advantage LEC
RIC-NOR  10  10  00  11  00  00  00  00 = 4 -12  3-5  1-7  92%   Almost busted by NOR
ALO-OCO  10  00  00  00  00  11  11  11 = 7 - 9  4-4  3-5  20%   Equality
VET-STR  00  00  11  00  11  11  11  00 = 8 - 8  4-4  4-4   0%   Equality
  • Ricciardo is at the edge of the climb. He is a truly great in F1 so I find a bit unexpected the degree of beating he is taken, no matter how good Norris could be.

I have explored the possible trends of some drivers, in the sense of performing progressively better and better or the opposite. The challenge here is to separate what is just random chance and what is significant.

Other notable trends, but not yet significant, are Sainz vs Leclerc (88%) and Norris vs (poor) Ricciardo (83%).

Well, I think I don't have any other silly thing to say, so... let's end this and "see how it develops".
Statistically not looking great, but still technically possible to turn it around.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 05:59 (Ref:4059291)   #44
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ricciardo has joined a long list of top drivers who struggled with a car that their teammate enjoyed or that had been developed for a previous driver.

Pironi in '81
Cheever in '83
Rosberg in '86
Herbert in '95
Alesi and Berger 96
Frentzen in '97

I'm sure there are plenty more.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 08:33 (Ref:4059305)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Love the Alesi and Berger example. And it’s a good point. But some of those also weren’t as good as their teammate.

Another way of looking at it is not that Dani Ric is doing poorly, but that Lando is having another great year.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4059328)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ricciardo has joined a long list of top drivers who struggled with a car that their teammate enjoyed or that had been developed for a previous driver.

Pironi in '81
Cheever in '83
Rosberg in '86
Herbert in '95
Alesi and Berger 96
Frentzen in '97

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Those are very good points. Rosberg is a great example, his style didn’t work in a car that was set up around the silky smooth styles of Prost and Lauda.

You mention Pironi in 81, don’t forget he turned it around to become a title contender in 82, even if his some of his methods that season weren’t very popular
Old 2 Jul 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4059401)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This F1 insider perception of Daniel Ricciardo’s season so far as a 5/10.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wh...quest/6623888/
Old 3 Jul 2021, 23:07 (Ref:4059640)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe McLaren has what you might call a Bookend Strategy
One on the front row, one near the back row
And see what happens

Austria2 seems a disaster for #3
Again

Old 3 Jul 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4059641)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
My perception of qualifying today was that Norris did really well and Ricciardo didn’t.

I would like to join in with the for that second part.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 06:18 (Ref:4059656)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To be fair Ricciardo has never been known as a qualifying king. But even so, 13th with his team mate on the front row? Gosh I really feel for him. You don't lose talent overnight, so fingers crossed he manages to find a solution to his woes