Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Mar 2003, 01:41 (Ref:543752)   #26
juan990
Rookie

juan990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i bet barron can just jump in and do better.he was the last talented american driver to come out.bette than j.jv m.g m a
Old 22 Mar 2003, 02:06 (Ref:543773)   #27
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have driven in F1 or CART, you should be able to drive in both series. That being said, unless you are a Michael Shumacher, Hakkinen, Montoya or JV, the car underneath you has a lot to do with your success. Actually, even a M. Schumacher could not perform that well in a Minardi or a Dale Coyne car.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 02:50 (Ref:543789)   #28
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Chris Pook said on Speed Channel that the reason why there are more Euro-trained drivers moving into CART than Atlantics grads was because it takes the Euro-trained drivers 10 laps to get up to speed while the American-trained ones take 70 laps to do the same. So by that logic Yoong should have been blowing the doors off of Hunter-Reay and Lavin by the end of the day.

Last edited by corkholio; 22 Mar 2003 at 03:00.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 08:20 (Ref:543902)   #29
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yoong: "You can't chuck it around like an F1 car. But it has plenty of power and the grip is mostly mechanical. The aerodynamics are a lot less critical than on an F1 car."

Doesn't the first part contridict the first part and conventional opinion?

In Friday qualifying I think he didn't pretty well all things considered.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 10:36 (Ref:544017)   #30
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give him time to develop. Considering that he should have it a tad easier than in the glowing spotlight of F1, perhaps he will be able to develop fully as a driver in this series. You never know...
Old 22 Mar 2003, 17:47 (Ref:544275)   #31
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub, I think he probably means the car's a lot less nimble than F1 car. Champ cars don't move as easily as F1 cars do, but in general you can throw them around a little more without losing it than in F1 car. That said, if you know what you're doing you can get an F1 car to do a lot more than a champ car could. It's just a lot easier to lose it.

But, then again, Yoong is in a Coyne prepared car, and those don't have a reputation of being to good. Ryan Hunter-Reay thought his Atlantic car handled better than the Coyne car he tested at firebird with a baseline setup.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Mar 2003, 17:54 (Ref:544281)   #32
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Just looking at the times from Saturday's practice session. He's catching up. Given the amount of time he and the team have put this together, he's doing pretty well actually.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:24 (Ref:544343)   #33
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Yoong: "You can't chuck it around like an F1 car. But it has plenty of power and the grip is mostly mechanical. The aerodynamics are a lot less critical than on an F1 car."

Doesn't the first part contridict the first part and conventional opinion?
Considering I never once saw him "chuck" an F1 car last year, I've got to think there's either a linguistic problem, or Yoong just doesn't have a clue what he's doing behind the wheel of a race car.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 19:36 (Ref:544358)   #34
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I never understood the senseless driver bashing...
Old 22 Mar 2003, 22:54 (Ref:544581)   #35
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still say that's a silly comment. Yoong did do pretty well in qualifying. I think he'll do well in the race all things considered.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 00:11 (Ref:544634)   #36
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I saw him do heaps of chucking an F1 car around , into this gravel trap into that gravel trap , but I say that tongue in cheeck

he has done fairly well I must say , maybe he has found a home in champcars and he may surprise everyone.

well done Alex i hope you have a great race.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 00:50 (Ref:544663)   #37
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not as if the Coyne car is a dud, it's the exact same thing as what a lot of other people are competing with. The difference in CART is that you need an engineer and a driver who can suck the most out of the car.

However, that being said, look at the difference between Michel Jourdain at Coyne and at Rahal. He has never been much of a qualifier, but he would storm through in the races... that was, unless with Coyne the car would break. That comes down to maintenaince, and that comes down to budget...
Old 23 Mar 2003, 01:10 (Ref:544672)   #38
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Looking up and down the starting field...
Andretti's gone...
And now there's not a single driver that I don't like.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 01:21 (Ref:544681)   #39
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
What about Bruno?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 01:35 (Ref:544696)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe he'll be the next Andretti?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 02:21 (Ref:544731)   #41
rookie
Rookie

rookie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this ride permanent or will gonzalez be back
Old 23 Mar 2003, 08:34 (Ref:544928)   #42
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all i can say is Camathais must be pretty slow
Old 23 Mar 2003, 09:34 (Ref:545029)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rookie
is this ride permanent or will gonzalez be back
I guess it depends if he can find some more money or not.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 02:46 (Ref:545946)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex Yoong did a good job in an unfamiliar car, qualified ahead of his teammate, raced to 9th position, again ahead of his teammate, and got 15th fastest race lap, ahead of his teammate

So he passed the first test, beating his teammate.

Not bad for a guy who hadnt driven the car, used the tyres, raced with a turbo engine, till first practice of the weekend.

It they can get the setup working better (i.e. give the guy some test miles) the car will get better and could be a regular top 10 contender on pace
Old 24 Mar 2003, 05:11 (Ref:545996)   #45
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I thought he did an admirable job today, given the limited testing. Yes, he was a mobile chicane, but he kept his nose clean, and provided some interesting racing while being lapped. That's a good backmarker .

Let's hope he's a Cart regular!
Old 24 Mar 2003, 06:59 (Ref:546038)   #46
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Yoong did a fine job today. I would really like to see what would happen if Mr. Moving Chicane, as you all call him, got a real shot in a top F1 or Champ Car team.

Even with my favorites I always like to cheer for the underdog and I think Alex Yoong may just be my underdog from now on.

On a side note to Coyne Racing: Ditch the school bus yellow.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 12:01 (Ref:546252)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alex was one of the stars of the weekend, he did very well to learn so much so quickly. He's never going to be a championship contender in the long term, but he can become a respectable driver if given time. Some of the criticism on her has been OTT, and it's good that he's showed that he can drive.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 12:41 (Ref:546290)   #48
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering he was in a car he'd never driven before, using an entire package he'd never seen before, with no testing and on a track he'd never driven before, I'd say he did an admirable job! Okay, he spun in the pitlane, but he didn't hit anything or anyone, unlike Wonder Boy Bourdais. Give him a couple of races and he'll be fighting midpack.

After all, look at what Mikey did in CART after his abysmal F1 tryout in the best car on the grid.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:14 (Ref:546324)   #49
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And remeber the guy was also going to be jet lagged, which usally leads you into silly mistakes.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 20:39 (Ref:546803)   #50
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep , sterling job By Alex , I was looking out for him and I think he did a great job , and I hope he gets more drives in the future.