Old 24 Oct 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1747324)   #26
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
After this weekend it has to be spending 6 Hours recovering a car on the Bulldog rally. Two rescue units four recoveries and 1 Subaru 180 feet down the side of a Welsh hill. Quite a challenge!
Best bit was one of the team asking us not to damage it!
Snap! Gott a agree with ya hun, that is going to take some beating !!!

Note to everyone else: Both driver and co-driver escaped without a mark on them.

Rosie
Old 24 Oct 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1748217)   #27
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
13-day trip to the UK and managing to play at 4 racetracks. For heaven's sake, that's as many US tracks as I got to in the States this year, and it took me months to do it here. (Doggone having to work for a living anyway!)
Old 24 Oct 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1748243)   #28
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine would have to be crossing the water for the Phoenix Park races, great people in a strange but wonderful setting for a motor race.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1748695)   #29
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I have 2 moment of significance:-

1. if we are talking within the last 12 calendar months, then standing on the finish rostrum with a chequered flag in my hand at Kyalami, South Africa last November. The significance here is that the last time I was previously holding a chequered flag was in my accident 5.5 years earlier at Goodwood.

2. Marshalling this year's Le Mans 24 Hours race as a flag marshal at poste 106. Wet Wednesday, dry Thursday, and all through the race over Saturday/Sunday. Especially waking up at 3.30 AM for the 4AM-6AM shift - my body clock still hasn't recovered.

Now that I've got to the bottom of the list of operations need during the past summer, I hope to expand my horizons during 2007, starting January at Daytona Beach!

Steve
Old 25 Oct 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1749122)   #30
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best race moment:
Watching 'the move' by Lewis on the big screens at Silverstone, the collective intake of breath followed by the cheering was incredible.

Best full race:
The final Rockingham Pick-Up race of the season - 35 caution-free laps of incredible racing averaging 130mph+ with gaps measured in cm rather than lengths

Best marshalling moments (can't choose a favourite):
- The start of the GP (after being moved up to assist on startline outside from Copse In)
- Ditto the earlier comments about the early morning safety car for sleep purposes (and for the fog) at the 24hr, and the 24hr in general
- Gantry duty & The Rockingham season in general, despite the early season issues.

Not a bad season all in all - still a couple to go though (including the annual one-off Brands mission for the Trucks / Pick-Up Truck finale)

Al.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1749129)   #31
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been having lots of trouble deciding on my best moment...

Racing moment wise have to agree with Alan on this one, that move was amazing and being at becketts and so seeing the result and piquet crashing through the sign.

The final of the legends at Brands on the 20th August goes down as one of the best races I've seen.

Best overall meeting has to be the great and british meeting at Castle Combe, great racing, great people, great circuit. Although the Lydden Festival of motorsport comes a close second!
Old 25 Oct 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1749140)   #32
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just has to be Lewis Hamilton taking the lead in the GP2 race at BGP, I was situated at Becketts Out and it was absolutely sensational. I have not heard a crowd cheer like that for a long time and it was definitely a "hairs on the back of the neck" moment.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1749295)   #33
JBrotbeck
Rookie

United States
Sumter, SC, USA
JBrotbeck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The spectacular crash at the Petit LeMans when Guy Smith tagged the wall doing 120+ and was OK. I got to pick up his bits and throw them over the wall. My first Major also. I finally got my cherry popped!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1749510)   #34
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard JBrotbeck. Nice to see another US marshal posting.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1749602)   #35
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year it had to be the Phoenix Park Races for me, not so much a moment but a whole weekend, great people on post and generally a good feeling throughout the the entire weekend. Its been way too long since I felt that good after a weekends racing!

Long live the Park!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1749746)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Trudging back from the portaloo at the bottom of Post 4 in the pouring rain and casting a glance at the results board for the King of Kents race.

And slowly realising that we'd just got an Irish 1,2,3!!!! I'd been yellow flagging the race, so had my back to the traffic - and we'd had a fair few incidents - so I'd actually lost track of the placings.

I think they heard the initial "WOOHOO" over at pitlane!!!
Old 28 Oct 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1752083)   #37
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The spectators MX5 going on its own down the hill, through the fence, over the ditch, across the track and into the gravel at the old hairpin at Donington has got to be the most unusual moment of my year.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1752210)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
After this weekend it has to be spending 6 Hours recovering a car on the Bulldog rally. Two rescue units four recoveries and 1 Subaru 180 feet down the side of a Welsh hill. Quite a challenge!
Best bit was one of the team asking us not to damage it!
Damm - he's just stolen my post. And it was 200' because two 90' cables needed a 30' chain to do the last bit.

And I was at the bottom of the ravine talking to him at the top (via radio). My new boots may be waterproof to the ankles but when you are up to the knees then they just fill up.

Car owner "that's a £100k motor car". (voice in the background - "not now it isn't")

Sorry - I don't mean to be cruel to the owner but the fact that his two drivers survived unhurt after plunging 200 feet down a 70 degree plus ravine did seem to be of lesser importance.

Six hours to recover a car - a record I am quite keen not to exceed.

Regards

Jim

P.S. Makes 'late' finishes at Donington pale into insignificance.

Last edited by JimW; 28 Oct 2006 at 21:03.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1752844)   #39
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanh
The spectators MX5 going on its own down the hill, through the fence, over the ditch, across the track and into the gravel at the old hairpin at Donington has got to be the most unusual moment of my year.
HUMPH You didn't have to try and write the report on it!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1752915)   #40
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joyce, you're so much better at that than i am, and anyway it made for an interesting conversation to race control via the radio!!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1752995)   #41
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Being on the pit wall at the start of the Grand Prix.

2. Lewis Hamilton's overtaking in GP2 at the Grand Prix.

3. The last pick up race at Rockingham.
I wonder if Bernie would let the F1 cars do a burn up at the end of the race ? - it would make a great spectacle. It could even be the highlight of the Grand Prix.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1753594)   #42
JBrotbeck
Rookie

United States
Sumter, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
Welcome aboard JBrotbeck. Nice to see another US marshal posting.
Thanks! Lake Wobegon is in Wisconsin, right?

LOL you called me a "US marshal"...sounds like I work border patrol or something.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1753860)   #43
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My best moment of the year? Watching Deryk Young smash the lap record at Curborough in August - absolutely awesome.

And then he beat that record the next day when, sadly, I wasn't there!
Old 31 Oct 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1753997)   #44
blueflagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrotbeck
Thanks! Lake Wobegon is in Wisconsin, right?

LOL you called me a "US marshal"...sounds like I work border patrol or something.
Wisconsin?!? Oh dear. Garrison Keillor would be saddened to hear that.

Yes, I think it sounds a bit too much like border patrol too, but many of the Brits on this board don't know F&C as a cornerworking term. I get on this forum and my language changes to a more international standard.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1754431)   #45
JBrotbeck
Rookie

United States
Sumter, SC, USA
Shame on me. Powdermilk Biscuits FTW!

Minnesota me thinks now.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1754525)   #46
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose it has to be walking to post 10 on my first day's marshalling at Brands via the pits at the first BTCC meeting of the year...

Best at Snetterton - watching Senna walk away from his massive shunt (guess what post I was on...)
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1754808)   #47
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without doubt it was spending 8 hours standing on post 3 in the lashing rain at the FFF without a lunch break

That was my 6th day as a marshal. It was the first day I'd done with anything other than nice sunny weather. It was also the first one I'd done without a break for lunch.

If it was still as enjoyable as that day was, I don't see that there's much more that can be chucked at me to put me off continuing in my new hobby!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1757834)   #48
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has to be the relief when I realised I had delivered the last lunch on the Sunday of the 24 Hr race and I could finally go and have my own (at 15.30).

Hope Alan's "plans" for next year work out!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1757874)   #49
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me nov 4 snett looking/ asking poeple that are to be on revett staight cound they "relaese" some to go around to bombhole

got moved see thread nov 4 snett for story & hot soup develied to post by ciruit staff
Old 6 Nov 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1758810)   #50
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another moment for me yesterday. Watching tiny wee little Legends followed by huge stonking big fume belching Trucks at Brands. Both superb racing, and I couldn't help laughing at the size difference!