Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3139967)   #26
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kinda surprised with McLaren compared to Red Bull in Q3.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3139973)   #27
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
How close to the wall was Lewis on that last lap? Great qualy performance, though.......

Should we be running a book on how long it'll take before Senna hits a wall?
Old 22 Sep 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3139993)   #28
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Gotta say whoever thought a night race was a good idea......
Im sure it's not too bad if you stay on Euro time but I've been away the last couple of weeks and am seriously wilting by the time we get to the end of the action!
Even so the quali was really good. Was out on track so I'd say that you all know far more about everything that went on but I've a couple of quick hits....
Obviously tyre's are gonna be the key for the race but the one thing that impressed me throughout the weekend has been how easy Maldonado is driving. He isnt pushing the car, he's just letting it glide from turn in to apex and exit.
He's one of the few drivers that isnt sawing at the wheel which is obviously going to save his tyres well during the race. It's easy to mock him for his mistakes but he's looked legit all weekend....just like he did in Barcelona. Im not saying he'll win it but I wouldnt be surprised to see him challenge. His front row start wasnt luck; he's been building all weekend towards it.
Vettel was pretty subdued after the session and clearly disappointed with third. It seemed like he was fighting the car more in quali than at other points this weekend. He'll be dangerous tomorrow but it's going to be hard for him to beat Hamilton who has looked very quick all weekend.
I was surprised to see Alonso down in fifth, and even more so Massa in 13th, given how comfortable the Ferrari looked in FP3....it seems that they fooled me! I still think that they can come good in the race.
Great Q3 lap from di Resta. With Maldonado on the front row it's crucial that Force India have a good result otherwise they could fall behind in the Constructors table.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3139994)   #29
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am peeved that I found out the quali result early, damn internet news! Yet I am relieved that Hamilton is on pole as Vettel looked quick through the FP's. Also 4 consecutive McLaren poles! Let's hope that Lewis can back this up with his second win at Singapore. I also wish Maldonado to actually finish well in the points!
Old 22 Sep 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3140032)   #30
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
I was chatting to a few people over the weekend and they all agreed is probably the biggest lottery of the season as far as tyres are concerned.

The gap between the option and prime can be as much as 1.5s-1.8s per lap (with so many slow speed corners having the traction under accelerating gives a huge benefit) so even though the option tyre is lasting only about 10 laps it will be used quite a lot through the race, even if it means having to make an extra stop. Of course the penalty for stopping is quite severe in Singapore-longest pit lane of the year and its at a slower speed.

I would still say however that you'll see a three stop strategy from most of the field with this kind of profile

stop one-lap 9-11 option
stop two-lap20-23 option
stop three-lap 34-37 prime

If you can make the option tyre last 15 laps, the Saubers and maybe the Force Indias, you could make the two stops work otherwise its three stops all the way out front from what I've seen and the McLarens were really consistent in FP2 when they went on longer runs.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3140033)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another stunning performance from Maldonado it must be said. If he could just harness that aggression...
Old 22 Sep 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3140046)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Another stunning performance from Maldonado it must be said. If he could just harness that aggression...
Indeed, and goes to show how poor Senna is. Surely Bottas will be drafted in before seasons end?
Old 22 Sep 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3140055)   #33
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know many people consider him a joke and want him ejected from Formula 1 (!) Just imagine how potent he would be if he was firing on all cylinders. This guy is seriously talented. That Williams had no right to be on the front row.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3140057)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I know many people consider him a joke and want him ejected from Formula 1 (!) Just imagine how potent he would be if he was firing on all cylinders. This guy is seriously talented. That Williams had no right to be on the front row.
Very true, he was scary fast today...
Old 22 Sep 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3140060)   #35
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Which makes a change from just plain scary.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3140065)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Let's wait for the first corner...
Old 22 Sep 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3140066)   #37
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I've always enjoyed watching Maldonado before he graduated to F1 and there's never been any doubt in my mind that he is quick.

Spare a though for his engineers though, they are presumably trying to understand and improve the car and have had Senna off the pace and bouncing off walls for two days and then out of the blue Pastor sticks that lap in!

If he could just find some consistency in between occasional flashes of brilliance they'd be in far better shape I'm sure!
Old 22 Sep 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3140076)   #38
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Let's wait for the first corner...
Like you I am worried about that, and so is Lewis...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102766
Old 23 Sep 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3140105)   #39
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I'm looking forward to it, should be a very interesting first corner. Vettel needs to jump Maldonado as well, he can't afford to sit in dirty air behind Maldonado for a stint with the way the Red Bull eats tyres, if he wants any chance of battling Hamilton for the win. Though it'll be interesting to see if Mal can actually work the tyres better than McLaren and stay up front.

Disappointing from the Sauber's though - so much for their tyre wear advantage, they won't be winning from 14th/18th.

What's the line like for the even numbered starters? Pretty dirty or not so bad here?
Old 23 Sep 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3140128)   #40
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, i'm new to this part of the forum.

I am at my first ever GP this weekend, which is of course Singapore, and the best thing about it so far as that idiot Coulthard is not commentating!

Neil Crompton, from V8Supercars is doing a bang up job and i hope they keep him on

Loving this F1 stuff as i normally am into the tin-tops
Old 23 Sep 2012, 03:06 (Ref:3140131)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
David is my cousin..
Old 23 Sep 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3140167)   #42
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
If he could just find some consistency in between occasional flashes of brilliance they'd be in far better shape I'm sure!
Formula One is about the whole package - car and driver. Though they've been in the doldrums recently, Williams used to field good cars, but they've never had a good reputation for driver development. In fact, quite the opposite. On the evidence of this year, it's difficult to argue that Maldonado isn't exceptionally talented, but also on the evidence of this year, it would appear that the Williams iciness towards their drivers has left him pretty much to flounder. You have to wonder how well he would have done in another team where driver development is given greater priority. Maybe Williams ought to take some of the blame for his continued lack of refinement.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 07:25 (Ref:3140168)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi all, i'm new to this part of the forum.

I am at my first ever GP this weekend, which is of course Singapore, and the best thing about it so far as that idiot Coulthard is not commentating!

Neil Crompton, from V8Supercars is doing a bang up job and i hope they keep him on

Loving this F1 stuff as i normally am into the tin-tops
I have to say, I think the Edwards/Coulthard commentary pair is probably the best we've had since the days of Murray Walker. Ben Edwards is outstanding... and Coulthard is at the top of his game right now.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3140230)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I wouldnt say he is worried based on those quotes.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3140244)   #45
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just put £10 on 1st corner incident between you know who ..
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3140264)   #46
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3140268)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
Just put £10 on 1st corner incident between you know who ..
A clean start, looks like you lost your £10, .
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3140275)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hamilton out! He said he had a funny feeling earlier. Looks mechanical; really bad luck.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3140276)   #49
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh... damn.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3140278)   #50
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very disappointed for Lewis . Should have signed the contract