Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2958515)   #26
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Metcheck are currently forecasting a windspeed of 259mph gusting to 310mph for Saturday :-

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...anglesey&day=5
Nothing but a light breeze ...
Old 20 Sep 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2958625)   #27
Benj
Rookie

England
Ashford
Benj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsccnw View Post
Volunteer's wanted to do do the Start Line flags anyone fancy a go. All equipment & on the job training will be given.

AliG
Is the view of the track good from that area? If it is I will happily give this a go, but as it is my first trip to Anglesey and so I would like to be able see a good part of the circuit if possible.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2958779)   #28
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone wants some hints and tips about being Chief Flag PM me. I fly out on holiday Friday morning but I'm happy to give advice before I go.

Some basic tips:

Firstly, take two stop watches. This is partly in case one fails, but also so that you can time the leader's laps as well as timing the race. You need the lap times to calculate when to put out the last lap board, and keep track throughout the race. Lap times change and you need to constantly monitor that your estimate is still accurate. Note down your estimated end of lap time and tick off each one as the leader passes.

Secondly, take lots of paper, and a clipboard if you have one. A pencil is also a good idea because pens and wet paper don't mix.

Try to keep a lap chart during the race. If the leader (or leaders) disappear you will still know who the new leader is. You need to be able to read the race and identify the leader from the front.

The good thing about Anglesey is that you get two chances to see the race order - as they pass you and then as they pass School.

On the last lap, watch the cars as they come through the Corkscrew (on the Coastal circuit). You will be ready for them as they come onto the pit straight then.

If you can, call the first car to take the flag and the last car. It helps the flag marshals, anyone waving the cars into Parc Ferme, and Race Control.

Keep a close eye on Stacker when the grid is forming. Don't go into countdown until she has finished and waved her green flag.

If you have an earpiece, ask Geoff for one of the older radios. Ordinary 3.5 mm jacks fit them but not the newer sets. It's easy to miss calls, especially when cars are passing, so you need to listen carefully.

If it's as windy as they are predicting be careful where you put the pit board numbers. They blow away easily and you need to keep them tidy and in order, not chase them down pit lane!

Good luck. It sounds worse than it is. If I can do it anyone can.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2958783)   #29
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
If anyone wants some hints and tips about being Chief Flag PM me. I fly out on holiday Friday morning but I'm happy to give advice before I go.

Some basic tips:

Firstly, take two stop watches. This is partly in case one fails, but also so that you can time the leader's laps as well as timing the race. You need the lap times to calculate when to put out the last lap board, and keep track throughout the race. Lap times change and you need to constantly monitor that your estimate is still accurate. Note down your estimated end of lap time and tick off each one as the leader passes.

Secondly, take lots of paper, and a clipboard if you have one. A pencil is also a good idea because pens and wet paper don't mix.

Try to keep a lap chart during the race. If the leader (or leaders) disappear you will still know who the new leader is. You need to be able to read the race and identify the leader from the front.

The good thing about Anglesey is that you get two chances to see the race order - as they pass you and then as they pass School.

On the last lap, watch the cars as they come through the Corkscrew (on the Coastal circuit). You will be ready for them as they come onto the pit straight then.

If you can, call the first car to take the flag and the last car. It helps the flag marshals, anyone waving the cars into Parc Ferme, and Race Control.

Keep a close eye on Stacker when the grid is forming. Don't go into countdown until she has finished and waved her green flag.

If you have an earpiece, ask Geoff for one of the older radios. Ordinary 3.5 mm jacks fit them but not the newer sets. It's easy to miss calls, especially when cars are passing, so you need to listen carefully.

If it's as windy as they are predicting be careful where you put the pit board numbers. They blow away easily and you need to keep them tidy and in order, not chase them down pit lane!

And thats just for starters, you will also have to issue black/white driving standards and black if required to the right cars, and also black orange to cars for mechanical issues and with the other hand.

the thing i keep forgetting is at the start of the race after you've shown the 2 min, 1min, 30 secs, 5 sec board you switch on lights, then off to start the race don't forget to start your stopwatch.......
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2958789)   #30
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done that, too! That's when you get creative with timings and estimates.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2959517)   #31
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
It is! I did it for 2 years with the JCC but unfortunately not been given the opportunity since then.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2959531)   #32
brsccnw
Racer

Scotland
Culcheth
brsccnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark

Maybe you would like to help out and do some quick training

AliG
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2959544)   #33
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me & My big mouth
Old 22 Sep 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2959600)   #34
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Me & My big mouth
You'd better be able to move quickly. . . I've put you down for Post Chief at the Hairpin!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2960081)   #35
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well doesnt happen often but, i cant make anglesey or oulton this weekend, ali g will be taken aback by my lack of attendance at anglesey, i think he thought i now lived there. both meets look good, enjoy yourselves,stay safe an i will catch some of you next week at the 24hr and everyone else at funcup in a few weeks
Old 26 Sep 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2961085)   #36
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks one and all

Just a quick Thank You to all the boys and girls in orange [and pale blue shirts] for looking after the Avon Tyres Northern FF1600 racers this year.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2961159)   #37
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And thank you to the FF1600 teams for the meal on Saturday and the very generous donation towards the marshals raffle on Sunday (sadly I didn't win anything though!)

I'm glad that Jamie Jardine was fine, if somewhat a little shaken, after his impact with the very substantial tyre wall in front of Rocket in..

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2961160)   #38
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Another excellent Anglesey weekend!

Very low marshal numbers, even lower than expected (not helped by a number of "no-shows") made post allocations something of a challenge. Thanks to everybody who I had to prevail upon to do duties they hadn't volunteered for/didn't want do/never thought they could do (delete as appropriate) - it all came right in the end! We may not have had the quantity, but we had the quality!

Thanks to the FF guys & gals for their generous donations & to the Caterham folks for allowing us to finish off their food supply - feeding the marshals is always a good way to show your appreciation. One thing that does concern me, however, is that Caterham's hospitality unit is supplying the drivers with pork pies . . . explains a lot, though!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2961175)   #39
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Unfortunately had to sent Mr G my apologies on Saturday afternoon but glad that a good time was had. Caterhams at Anglesey are always good.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2961191)   #40
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Unfortunately had to sent Mr G my apologies on Saturday afternoon
Never reached me!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2961196)   #41
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Never reached me!
Thats not my fault!
I don't do "No Shows"!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2961206)   #42
oultonnewbie
Rookie

United Kingdom
winsford
oultonnewbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a great first visit to anglesey and a very challenging trip to the deep end at the start line thanks to the ff guys and caterham for feeding us. anglesey is definitely high on my list for next season

Last edited by oultonnewbie; 26 Sep 2011 at 16:10.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2961251)   #43
brsccnw
Racer

Scotland
Culcheth
brsccnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry down to me forget to tell dave.
AliG
Old 26 Sep 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2961313)   #44
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
It was short notice for which I apologise again. Don't like letting people down honestly
Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2961562)   #45
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Just a quick Thank You to all the boys and girls in orange [and pale blue shirts] for looking after the Avon Tyres Northern FF1600 racers this year.
Cheers, Diz, please let all the drivers know that their generosity on Saturday was very much appreciated.

Another cracking weekend, just a shame that is probably the last car meeting at Anglesey this year
Old 27 Sep 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2961681)   #46
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks you FF guys it was a nice gesture. See you next year if not at the MSVR meeting in October.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2961767)   #47
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Bulge View Post
just a shame that is probably the last car meeting at Anglesey this year
Oh no it ain't. The infamous Winter Meeting is on Sunday 27th November on the International Circuit, but using the old circuit pit lane, as the new control building / garages will be going up in the new pit lane.

Usual volunteering procedures will no doubt apply.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2961869)   #48
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh no it ain't. The infamous Winter Meeting is on Sunday 27th November on the International Circuit, but using the old circuit pit lane, as the new control building / garages will be going up in the new pit lane.

Usual volunteering procedures will no doubt apply.
Thats good news as it sounded as if the meeting may not go ahead judging by a comment during the post chiefs brief on Saturday. See you then Diz

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 27 Sep 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2961907)   #49
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will def be back on the island for that one, gutted i missed what sounded like a cracker, first anglesey meet in about 2 years i couldnt make
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2963095)   #50
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Does this mean that the current control tower is moving to the old pit lane for those clubs that use this for sprints?

Vested Interest as an official of these club ( and a regular startline marshal for same see avatar)