Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2003, 22:09 (Ref:731421)   #26
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday Qualifying

Qualifying tomorrow starts at 14:00 Hrs. (2.00 PM) U.S. Eastern Daylight Time. Last time I looked, this time is equal to GMT -4:00 hr. The local time of starting in Indianapolis is 13:00 Hrs. (1:00 PM) U.S. Central Daylight Time. I leave it to you to do the rest. The prequalifying today was shown here live as will be the qualifying tomorrow. We also got morning practice/testing/afternoon practice, but I think a good deal of it was on tape.

Old 27 Sep 2003, 03:51 (Ref:731530)   #27
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You poor darlings. At least you get qualifying! Us in Australia just get screwed up the arse by the Ten network with no qualifying, delayed races and an ITV feed ruined by the local jokers wanting to put their two bobs worth in.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 03:51 (Ref:731531)   #28
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia is one of the worst. I is a little strange when channel 10 goes to the effort of having 2 hours on friday, about 6 on saturday, and about 8 on sunday, just for the Australian gp weekend.

We get no qualifying at all, and the race is always delayed, usually by about 2.5 hours, bear in mind that the coverage starts about 11:45 for European rounds.

We get about 20 seconds news coverage in the entire fortnight between the races.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 05:09 (Ref:731549)   #29
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got to understand that it's highly important for Channel 10 to show their Sunday night movie.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 05:54 (Ref:731552)   #30
Yunis
Rookie

Yunis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i tv coverage sucks!! even the after race interviews ar ecut, often they miss out the third place driver.. there is no indepth views and comments from other drivers etc..RTL coverage is a lot better shame i dont understand german!
Old 27 Sep 2003, 09:19 (Ref:731606)   #31
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its all about ratings, money, advertising revenue, and F1 is not a big puller of any of those factors.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 09:34 (Ref:731614)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume then that the 3.30am start on Monday on the "home of motorsport" is either delayed or full of meaningless pre-event hype?
Old 27 Sep 2003, 10:13 (Ref:731631)   #33
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that with the time difference between the States & Australia we will actually get this race live which means we'll just have to listen to Bill Woods & Neil Crompton talk for half an hour.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 11:11 (Ref:731648)   #34
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bgeorge104
If you never took down your old analogue astra dish you can watch practise & qualifying live on the German station DSF, all you have to do is arrange sound from Radio 5 from digital satellite & you've got it made.
Friday practice & qualifying was on DSF.Saturday P & Q is live on RTL.Odd german contract arrangements I suppose.You don't need much german to follow it.Interviews with non-germans are in english as is on-screen data.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 17:02 (Ref:731916)   #35
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do what I did. Email ITV via the studio and ask to pass it on to the correct person.

Also, I am looking for an email address for Toyota PR, so I can email them and ask if they think it is good value for money paying their maony for advertising that is shown when everyone is in bed!

Who knows, it might make a difference
Old 27 Sep 2003, 18:50 (Ref:732240)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The other bad thing about it is, here i am, waiting to watch quali's as if it's live so, to pass the time i've come on tenths, but i'm not sure what threads to look in incase the results or talk about the session is mentioned.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 15:32 (Ref:732833)   #37
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tonight's coverage ends at 8.50UK time - only 110 mintues afetr the start of teh race. Expect minimal post race discussion, and probably only part of the press conference if soemone like Alonso or Panis finishes third. Sadly, ti's a consequence of the fact that Coronation Street gets three tiems as many viewers as any F1 race.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:15 (Ref:732892)   #38
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think i'd prefer if they put coronation street on before, and skipped half an hour of itvs "lifestyle" features. you know...the ones where the sponsor has convinced the driver that water-skiing the week before a race is a good idea.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:18 (Ref:732897)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure there will be some good culinary features in the build up.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:27 (Ref:732914)   #40
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not looking forward to the "Coronation Street follows shortly" message that they like to put up about ten times...
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:43 (Ref:732932)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I almost hope we get a restart so it delays Corrie (as long as it does't remove any of the top three).
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:44 (Ref:732935)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We'll miss out the press conferences today, just in time for Corrie!

I hate that. Football always seems to fit the schedules fine!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 23:47 (Ref:748888)   #43
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You asked for it: My TV rant!

As the title says, you've asked for it, now go on and read it...

Before I describe the coverage of the last race, I'd like to describe what kind of a F1 fan I am.
So, there was no TV coverage of F1 in Yugoslavia (it's Serbia&Montenegro now) for first two races this year - I guess stations' managers thought it's gonna be too borring, as two previous seaseons were.
However, there is this cafe-restaurant "Sport cafe" down-town in Belgrade which is (as it's name suggests) sport-oriented, and it has all the possible sport channels on it's 40-ish TVs, and they open at any time of night for interesting sports events - including F1. GP of Australia is at 4 am here, and Malasiya is at 7.
I live 30km away from it. I don't have a car for a while. Public transportation at that time is disasterous. And, in addition to all of that, my daughter was 6 months old at that time, and she's been waking up few times a night. Anyway, I borrowed a car, drove those 30kms and watched those two races.
When it became obvious that this season is going to be interesting, one TV station bought the rights. BTW, IMO that station has the worst program in this country, appart from rather good selection of movies.
Now, since describing the whole season's horror would be a waste of time (mine and yours) I'll just describe coverage of the last race.

And, here I am. It's 07:25am here, the race should start in 5min. I've had half of my coffee by now. But, on the above mentioned channel there is some idiotic music show and it's not showing intention of changing to the race. I don't know what was the time exactly, but I was allready half-crazy when they announced the race. It was in the moment when Montoya was just finishing lap 3!!! Furthermore, it wasn't usual 'paid for' feed, but just take over of RTL. Right after I saw Montoya, commercials started - RTL's, ofcourse. So, that lasted app 2 min, and we're back to the race. Since RTL, naturally, has it's own commentator, there was no sound of the race at all - just a voice of 'our' commentator. The picture is dissapearing every 5 seconds for about 2 seconds. That goes on untill lap 9. Than they switched to 'regular' feed, and finally, there's sound too. To give you an idea of quality of that comentator let me just say that he kept on saying that Ralf was having problems, and eventually retired - untill the current positions were displayed (with Montoya "out"), and then he sad something like "Well, we haven't had a chance to see what problems Montoya has had..."
Throughout the race there were 4 5min "real" commercial brakes, and at least 10 short momments (just one commercial) when they put race feed in a small frame in top-left corner of the screen, while commercial is on 90% of the screen, with it's sound of course.
Thankfully, this was one of the races where we got the press conf - it's usually up to their 'good will'. And, believe it or not, that was the first time I've heared that Kimi smashed his car, and I didn't know when&how that happened (I don't have internet acces at home, I wasn't at work since friday, and there was nothing about it on TV or in newspapers - I even didn't know starting positions appart from RB's, JPM's, KR's and MS's). The press conf. is the only momment when our commentator earns his salary - he is the best simultanious translator I've ever heared, and he does it for 5 languages (english, spanish, italian, german & portuguese)!!!

I guess you got the picture of TV coverage of F1 here by now.

Now, that I've ranted as much as I wanted, I must brag about something to all of you: I have THE BEST wife that there is. She understand all of mine madness, and she allways gives me 2 hours of peace when the race is on - no matter of what she might need at that time. Did I mention she didn't complain about me leaving the house at 3am because of the race?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 02:46 (Ref:748972)   #44
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
*Searches through old posts*

I'm sure I did'nt ask for it :confused:
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:40 (Ref:749690)   #45
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, that's a good women you got there my friend!

Don't feel bad about the coverage though, your not alone. My cable TV subscriber just offered the Speed Channel 2 years ago! Before that there was no F1 coverage to be had unless you had a satelite feed from Europe. Pathetic really, considering I live in the media capital of the world, New York City!

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:00 (Ref:749709)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I didn't ask for it. Was it you Adam?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:05 (Ref:749713)   #47
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does my wife... happy she's not the only one!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:09 (Ref:749892)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Well I didn't ask for it. Was it you Adam?
well people say I've been asking for it for a long time
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:11 (Ref:749901)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well I think I found where I asked for it - merged
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:13 (Ref:749905)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Crickey, it does sound bad! You could do with ITV