Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Jun 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1624781)   #26
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the circuit is too tight for CC (even with the new DP01). I wouldn't be against the Atlantics going again, but with GAC and Star Mazda, I think Trois Rivieres isn't looking for any other racing at this time.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1624796)   #27
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Au revoir, Champ Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
I like your thinking, Bob - but it's not gonna happen.

First, you've got serious NIMBYism in Mont Tremblant...The only way to get any serious professional racing into Mont Tremblant is to buy off the locals with a big dose of ego stroking, and provide a seriously marquee event to justify the upgrades. CC ain't gonna cut it...
Well, in that case, Montreal and Quebec can bid farewell to Champ Car in August. I don't see Champ Car running in Trois Rivières, since they tried American Le Mans there once and it didn't return. The facilities there are probably worse than Mt. Tremblant.

It seems that Champ Car is gambling that somehow Legault will not be given the rights to control the 2 races to be held on Ile Notre Dame. I think the city must give him that right so that he can keep Il duce (AKA Bernie Ecclestone) happy, because the main consideration for most Montrealers is to keep F1 at any cost. I can't see Montreal trading F1 and Champ Car for NASCAR and Champ Car. As I said before, F1 is too vital to Montreal's self-image. This was proven a few years ago when Ecclestone blackmailed the Quebec and Canadian governments into forking over millions in public funds to compensate for the ban of tobacco logos on the cars. So au revoir, Champ Car.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1624801)   #28
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not to pick nits, but the American Le Mans Series ran two years (2002 and 2003). It was the loss of tobacco sponsorship that binned it for them.

I completely concur about the F1 race and its importance to the Montreal psyche. I also think that's part of the reason why CC isn't a great fit in Montreal - too much the redheaded stepchild of F1, they just can't compare on track. That's why Legault wants something completely different.

I'd prefer to see the ALMS there, myself, but that ain't going to happen either. Legault believes he needs Busch+ in order to sell Montreal on it. I think the ALMS could provide a cosmopolitan atmosphere that would work well in Montreal, but I suspect they won't even get a look.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1624811)   #29
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why cant the Busch series AND ALMS go in 1 weekend? Grand Am was there for Mexico City when the Busch Series went along, and Grand Am is a support race for the Watkins Glen Nextel event.

And ALMS was a support series for ChampCar at Houton...so unless i've missed something obvious, isnt it possible to have ALMS suport for the Busch series?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1624826)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
First, don't tell the ALMS they were in Houston to support CC - if you want to keep your head on your shoulders. They were told they'd be co-headliners, but the reality is they were treated exactly the same way they were treated in previous so-called co-headline opportunities with CC.

Second, it's not a stretch to say that ALMS would definitely (and properly) be viewed as the support for Busch - but the ALMS wouldn't be interested in playing the role of a support race anywhere. It's unlikely that the France family would be interested in having the ALMS, either, given that they have their own road racing series (GA) that would happily slot in with Busch again.

-Bill James
Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1625348)   #31
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ Car still hoping

After Wednesday's press conference Champ Car is still hoping to keep their race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. According to this article, Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven appealed to the city by stressing the many Canadian connections of Champ Car during the press conference. He also mentioned the good working relationship between F1 and Champ Car as a reason to keep Champ Car in Montreal. The article says he did not rule out the possibility of moving the race to Mt. Tremblant if things don't work out in Montreal.

But Legault still holds the best cards in this poker game and he has decided that he wants F1 and NASCAR in 2007.

Champ Car organizers await word on Montreal future
Dave Stubbs, CanWestNews Service
Thursday, June 01, 2006

...Legault, who has high hopes for NASCAR in this city, is said to need exclusive control of the track to satisfy his contract with F1 head Bernie Ecclestone.

''There is no animosity, zero, between Champ Car and F1,'' Kalkoven said, arguing that his series wouldn't step on Ecclestone's toes. ''And if people think that NASCAR will bow to Bernie's wishes, let's just say they're probably wrong. We're more likely to co-operate because of our relationships with F1.''

Last edited by BobHWS; 2 Jun 2006 at 11:13.