Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:55 (Ref:853355)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, where was that ttfrl season review that Spudgun posted a while earlier?

That was a good one!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 16:56 (Ref:853901)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's true, I'd forgotten that one!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 17:14 (Ref:853937)   #28
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't really show it in all it's glory though

What you really need to see is a car swooping over the crest and dips of the ring, that really is poetry in motion
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:48 (Ref:854051)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Often circular motion.....
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:45 (Ref:854137)   #30
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe more like a carousel. Up down and around
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:57 (Ref:854155)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But not that carousel..... more like a karussel.......
Old 30 Jan 2004, 03:26 (Ref:855932)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to agree with the majority on this board that GPL is a great sim; however for me it is not a sim of something that I can relate to. I race karts and have autocrossed my Honda's and have also had the opportunity to have lapped Mosport in a rather heavily modified Mustang. So when looking for a sim these are the types of things I am drawn to, for if nothing else but to try and recreate/simulate my on-track experiences.
Currently I would have to say my favorite are EA's F1 sims (2002 & 99-02) particularly the TurboMod and the ETCC mod. The TurboMod while obviously being massively different than a Kart does have the responsiveness that I am used to in a Kart. Very stiff handling and a little slippery. The ETCC (touring car) mod is the only decent FWD car sim out available. It doesn't feel quite right, but is still very good.
Finally N2003 and it's TransAm physics is my final sim of choice. This type of car (bigHP big torque, RWD) is something that I have the least amount of real life experience at but that will change one day and hopefully this sim will give me a headstart.
I'm not sure if sim racing has improved my real-life racing but I do know that real-life racing has improved my sim-racing. I invariably can set quicker times in my sim of choice after spending the day at the track.
One racing genre that is lacking in the community is a good Rally sim. That is one sim that I would really love to see.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Jan 2004, 08:32 (Ref:856071)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Interesting stuff. I keep mentioning "horses for courses", but that's about it, isn't it? I would absolutely die for a Le Mans sportscar sim which was accurate and had GPL-like accuracy in terms of handling etc. The modern single-seater games do little for me, although some of them have stunning graphics. But I need more than eye-candy, personally.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:26 (Ref:856207)   #34
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And I want GPL-type reality in a game featuring all the world's touring cars. Toca 2 is the closest so far.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:58 (Ref:871675)   #35
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Toca 2 it's just a shame that the opposition tries to take you out at the earliest opportunity.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Feb 2004, 11:09 (Ref:871683)   #36
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a sim based on GPL lines, but incorporating sports cars like Lola T70, Porsche
917, Ferrari 512, with the realistic handling of GPL. Ie 1969/70 period.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 13:16 (Ref:871859)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You can always drive the GT40 and a Lancia Stratos in GPL.......

(Same physics as the Brabham and Ferrari though - the cars they replace).
Old 17 Feb 2004, 17:40 (Ref:877237)   #38
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My only experience with sims or games is on the console systems like Playstation 2. For me realism equals sim. I have the EA sports F1 games (specifically 2001 and Career) and GP3. I rate GP3 lower in terms of realism. I detest EA F1 Career, so I won't even bother. EA F1 2001 has good and bad. Graphics, the cars, the tracks I think are all represented very well. Certain things about the handling characteristics "seem" real. But then again which of us has any experience with any of these cars we are simulating. I find it funny that some say that GPL is the most real, or this game or that. Do we have any former/current Grand Prix drivers to back this claim up??? lol I'll never know what a former or current grand prix handles like, so for me it's only a guess as to what is real. Anyways, the small stuff anoys me. Like someone setting fastest stage 1 sector time when they are on their out lap. Or a competitor seemingly stopping in mid corner making the chase absolutely boring. Or the ability to outbrake anyone on a whim. Those types of things make it more "game" like. I doubt any of these are anywhere close to the real thing. But some are definitely more real than others. I agree with Ayse though, I long for a decent ALMS/LMES/Le Mans type sim.

Side note: At the Laguna Seca ALMS round last year one booth had these awesome (for lack of a better term) arcade style games. You sit in it, it has a wheel, seat, pedals and screen. This particular one was for Formula 1. I must say, it was awesome. Not at all cheap though. If I find a link I'll post it.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 16:20 (Ref:878425)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Do we have any former/current Grand Prix drivers to back this claim up???

Yes, I believe so. If I remember rightly, a certain JP Montoya admitted to having driven GPL - and liking it.....
Old 18 Feb 2004, 16:57 (Ref:878456)   #40
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ask racing drivers who have driven the cars in the games to tell me how realistic something is. The feedback I get is that F1 2002 is the most like a real F1 car, GPL is spot on and GTR2002 F12002 add on is also incredibly realistic. Apart from those three every other driving game is just a game.

Obviously you never get the real feeling of the car but you have to make the most of you eyes and ears and knowledge of race cars to drive them. You have to drive predictively on a sim because things you see and here take longer to react to than things you feel through your @rse feet and hands.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:21 (Ref:879790)   #41
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is very true Mackmot.

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Doesn't really show it in all it's glory though

What you really need to see is a car swooping over the crest and dips of the ring, that really is poetry in motion
I've been messing about with Adobe Premiere 6 tonight, just to get to know how to use.

I remembered this post and just had a little play based on it. It's only a shorty, with no real purpose and it's using snippets from my 8:40 lap from the race, so some of the sections are nothing special. I used my own car since other cars online data doesn't do it justice.

I've kept the video quality low to keep the filesize down. 1:36 long, 15Mb:

GPL at Nurburgring

Last edited by Spudgun; 19 Feb 2004 at 21:28.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:49 (Ref:879831)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Downloading now.......
Old 19 Feb 2004, 22:00 (Ref:879841)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Great stuff Spud Love the finish. (But wot a face....... )

What are you using to extract from the GPL replays?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 22:07 (Ref:879846)   #44
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Great stuff Spud Love the finish. (But wot a face....... )

What are you using to extract from the GPL replays?
Cheers.

You can blame my mother for that. I've got that sequence done separately so I can use it as a 'tag' on the movies that I make. It's different if nothing else.

I use MovieStudio XP. Great little program. I like the feature where it can grab the sound as well. You just have to make sure you've got plenty of HD space.

Last edited by Spudgun; 19 Feb 2004 at 22:08.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 22:39 (Ref:879879)   #45
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
hehe, good one Spud. Like Ayse says, the finish is great!