Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1987448)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will Power?
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1987461)   #27
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I can think of a number of interesting (outside of the box) options worth exploring, including Americans Patrick Long (Porsche Factory Driver), Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty (Grand Am).

In addition Jonathan Summerton should be on the radars of many people, and while he might not be ready for the #1 seat at NHL, he is someone to watch out for.

I would bet the Allan McNish (Scottish) would do pretty well, but I don't know if he'd give up his current gig.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1987464)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember when Allan tested for Penske in 2001 and was in the frame for the drive. I think he's pretty much done with aowr. He was like Mika Salo, a great driver who hasn't been able to show pully what he could do in open wheel and has ended up in sports cars.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1987478)   #29
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonathan Summerton, Speed or Liuzzi would be logical choices if wilson isn't available. Wilson will ndoubtedly get the seat though.

JS is available too...and would be cheap...!?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1987484)   #30
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Summerton is going to probably race in the F3 Euroseries at the end of the year with the new VW engine - he is supposedly been their test driver.

Still think Glock would be a great choice - top driver in a top car and I reckon better than Bourdais when he started back in 2003. Reckon Wilson is a good bet though - probably would have got NHL seat this year if the Rahal name just wasn't quite as tempting...

Then again, you have to be pretty well backed to make Champs - which makes Speed stand out to me. My wildcard prediction though is Andreas Zuber... Very, very, very well backed, young and comfortably quicker than Power and Pagenaud in 2005 Renault World Series.... And now with a good couple of GP2 seasons under his belt.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1987487)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ryan Briscoe.....
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 13 Aug 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1987647)   #32
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shorty?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1987872)   #33
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine
With Sebastien now confirmed at Toro Rosso for next year who do think will replace him at Newman Haas? Personally I would like to see Justin Wilson get the seat as RSPORTS seem to be a little off the pace this year.
I concur.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1987916)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Ryan Briscoe.....
I'd love to see Ryan in Champ Car but I think he'll be a contender for Penske if Hornish does Cup for Penske.
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1995338)   #35
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard Briscoe mentioned as a replacement for Penske's driver in the #12 Alltell Sprint Cup car. Ryan Newman is not happy and his contract expires this year. Briscoe is already under Penske Contract for the ALMS Program, he has limited Nascar experience as well as Champcar and irl.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1999466)   #36
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie
I've heard Briscoe mentioned as a replacement for Penske's driver in the #12 Alltell Sprint Cup car. Ryan Newman is not happy and his contract expires this year. Briscoe is already under Penske Contract for the ALMS Program, he has limited Nascar experience as well as Champcar and irl.
Right now it looks like if Ryan Newman leaves Penske's NASCAR team he will be replaced by Sam Hornish Jr. But if Newman stays Hornish will probably drive the #77 car.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1999769)   #37
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT will be good at NHL racing,it would give him a other shot at the championship.Bobby D would be a choice as well.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 14:21 (Ref:2006866)   #38
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny Dutch media are all shouting out loud that Robert Doornbos has the biggest chance of getting Bourdais seat, whereas none of you mention his name. You don't think he has a chance at all?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2006934)   #39
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why would he? he's competitive in the car he's in right now, no need to change
Old 8 Sep 2007, 17:22 (Ref:2006967)   #40
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
Funny Dutch media are all shouting out loud that Robert Doornbos has the biggest chance of getting Bourdais seat, whereas none of you mention his name. You don't think he has a chance at all?
Isn't it funny that it's the DUTCH media spouting this? They have been telling us for the last 4 years that Verstappen would be in a top drive in CCWS...but is he? I don't think so! I've gone past believing what the Dutch media say unless other sources are talking about it as well. Though that is not to say I wouldn't like to see Doornbos in the NHL seat.

I can't see why you would want Tracy in the car. He hasn't shown well in the past couple of years against strong, young team mates such as Servia & Allmendinger, whos team mate at RuSPORT, Wilson, was much quicker than him in the same car. It is therefore logical that given the choice the team would rather sign a younger & clearly fast driver like Wilson than somebody like Tracy, who IMHO is a bit past his prime.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 13 Sep 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2011242)   #41
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone on the IRL forum mentioned that Allmendinger is out of favour with the current Red Bull Nascar team. No source or anything but was thinking, if it happened to be true you would have to think AJ would be of particular interest to NHL
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2011415)   #42
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Someone on the IRL forum mentioned that Allmendinger is out of favour with the current Red Bull Nascar team. No source or anything but was thinking, if it happened to be true you would have to think AJ would be of particular interest to NHL
Seeing AJ back in Champ Car would be great, it would also be a big victory for AOWR.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2011484)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
as nice as it would be to see AJ back in CC I doubt he will because he now has a Ganassi seat in Busch and I don't quite see how it will be a victory over NASCAR for AWOR as he won't be missed as NASCAR just isn't his thing.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2011488)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I have heard AJ regrets the decision he made.

I always thought it short sighted at the time. He killed any F1 chance he may have had. And considering his age he would have been better off building a platform to spring from by winning races and championships in champcar.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2011497)   #45
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I have heard AJ regrets the decision he made.

I always thought it short sighted at the time. He killed any F1 chance he may have had. And considering his age he would have been better off building a platform to spring from by winning races and championships in champcar.
Definately. I guess it's his own fault, he maybe well off but he surely hasn't had much fun at racing this year.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 00:46 (Ref:2013264)   #46
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there are two options, depending that Rahal stays in 08...

1. Low-risk: They put an experienced CCWS driver on Rahals side... like Wilson, Servia, Junqueira... (I don't see Dornboos switching, he is so closely connected with Minardi/Stoddart and the sponsors)

2. Exciting: (they take a thrilling risk) and pick up a second youngster from the Atlantics or GP2 (in the past they had the right touch)... I have confidence in the NHL team that they could manage very well also two youngsters... Raphael Matos, Franck Perera, Lucas di Grassi...

or maybe Giorgio Pantano at least gets a real chance (okay, I know he isn't a youngster... has a lot of racing experience in GP2, F1, IRL, also Champ Car... one of the good ones who finally earned to get that shot)

3. Unexpected: Young Rahal left and will see two new drivers...

Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2013549)   #47
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe AJ wants to start driving race cars again.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2016952)   #48
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66
3. Unexpected: Young Rahal left and will see two new drivers...

Right. Jimmy Vasser and Michael Andretti
Old 19 Sep 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2017757)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe Chip could make a comeback as well!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 23:31 (Ref:2029457)   #50
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There are rumours, from sources that have been correct in the past, that NHL are set to switch series next year. Please note, I am just passing what I've seen, and don't know if this is reliable or not.