Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1710377)   #26
Ian-ZTT
Rookie

Ian-ZTT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Night photos..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Keep up the good work and please post links to images.
This is one of my favourite topics and have been trying to get it right for a few years but the chances are pretty rare. Please tell me what you think I can take critisism especilly from guys that know what they are talking about.

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1422.jpg   DSC_1571.jpg   DSC_1601.jpg  

DSC_1618.jpg  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1710599)   #27
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Ian, some good stuff there-its all about experimenting as you go along otherwise you'll have no idea where to start. Unfortunately you need to carefully find a spot that has a nice apealing background. finding a bend and shooting isn't all thats needed. Choose your locations carefully and then do your stuff. Unfortunately for those who hav'nt circuit passes life can be frustrating and will have to make sure that their pictures count, knowing that what is being taken would please a magazine editor and not just what might look good in your own portfolio. Heres a couple of pics, which are not fantastic but hopefully it will show you what I mean-basically think-out your shots before going to a lot of trouble and producing "average" pictures that only apeal to yourself. Baz
Attached Thumbnails
BA-AUT Nightracing (3)  10-10.jpg   BA - 24hr - the moon shines 10-10.jpg  
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:21 (Ref:1710652)   #28
Ian-ZTT
Rookie

Cool.

Thankyou Baz for your input..I do know what you mean and this chance @ Britcar was really the only time I had chance to try a decent tripod with a decent camera. I know what you mean as alltho the pit shot shows nice pits its a shutter speed shot and shows very short light trails and almost on the verge if not overexposed. and bit hit and miss. Mine shows flowing lines not stop start.

I have tried at lemans and Spa this year and found now playing with the appature is the way forward for me to try and go forward, but totally see your piont with the back drop..I wish I now had had a go in the gantry but we can only do so much. I love this art as when its right can produce amazing results. Almost mix a bit of yours with mine and then stunning pics..

Thanks again and cannot wait to do some more "Stuff" maybe as winter comes some practice on the M25 or Brighton seafront.

You have given me quite a few new ideas and thankyou for that...I love the honesty as well which makes better results next time..

Ian.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1710656)   #29
Ian-ZTT
Rookie

I forgot..

I ment to say they are 4 differant locations not all the same bend, I was trying to find the the spot, I found that out the other day when I saw a shot from David Lord that is quite excellent, looking forward to the next chance...

Ian.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 03:47 (Ref:1710676)   #30
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what a wide range of cars, and interesting to see the "old" Morgan is still kicking the can (I saw it at Lemans in '04)

Hoyer, like the braking Honda with the slanting setting (or rising) sun on it. Very nice variation of shots.

cheers

Last edited by djb; 15 Sep 2006 at 03:49.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1710757)   #31
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i agree with Baz, its all about the background
it is nice to have the long light trails though, and also you need a pretty solid tripod
from my photo (le mans 2006) you can see some of the trails are a little wobbly because my tripod was a fiver
ZTT, i wouldnt worry about the aperture, just use Tv mode, set the shutter speed to something nice like 10 secs and put the ISO as low as possible.
if you have the shutter speed too fast you wont get a pic, and if you have it too long the sensor will overheat and you will see noise on the photo

i cant be arsed to resize the photo so follow the link

http://www.xynamic.com/gallery/displ...lbum=20&pos=77

just ignore that little tannoy
Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1710791)   #32
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...I did get some great arty night shots at Le Mans 1989 (Silk Cut Jaguar V Mercedes!) and took about 3 or 4 rolls of Fujichrome: ....sent them away for processing....and never saw them again!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1710848)   #33
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
...I did get some great arty night shots at Le Mans 1989 (Silk Cut Jaguar V Mercedes!) and took about 3 or 4 rolls of Fujichrome: ....sent them away for processing....and never saw them again!
what is this fujichrome you talk of? is it a shiney compact flash card?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1710853)   #34
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Those were the days....loads of money spent on film....and loads more spent on prosessing the damn stuff...the most expensive loft insulation I've ever known!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1711081)   #35
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I have about 5 large boxes full of little yellow or green boxes up there, too.
Not counting the ones in grey trays!

I've even found some nesting in the freezer!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1711358)   #36
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for several days. I have been away on holiday in Snowdonia from Monday morning until now. Thanks to anyone who has given feedback and advice, it all helps my learning process. Unfortunately I cannot answer the questions about media accreditation. All I can say is that I have not cheated the process, sorry I can't help more on that one.

Ray.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1711454)   #37
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcarfan
My efforts can be seen here: http://rsmp.zenfolio.com/f173466712/
Some of the fog photos have a spooky ambience about them. Cool
Old 16 Sep 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1711596)   #38
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally have got the galley up properly, still got some to add, but for now http://jgphotos-motorsport.fotopic.net/britcar24
Old 16 Sep 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1712010)   #39
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
I looked with one eye out of my car window and got back underneath my sleeping bag....wished I'd had made the effort now-looks pretty good! (PS: Nothing like the fog at the 24hr Willhire at Snet many years ago which lasted nearly all night and morning!!)
Old 16 Sep 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1712042)   #40
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ended up wandering around, chatting to some of the marshals on posts, grabbed a bite to eat and a coffee.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1712062)   #41
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah the fog was great. Once it got light enough I went out and got a few shots, we didn't get a nice sunrise, but it was still pretty cool!
Attached Thumbnails
britcar24_teaser_08.jpg  
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1713274)   #42
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this thread has got me really pumped up for some 24hr shooting, did a quick google for endurance racing, but obviously lookin in the wrong place...is this britcar thing a one off or are there more night/endurance events like this in the uk any time soon?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1713284)   #43
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is usually a 2 hr 'into the night' race at Brands in November, runs from dusk for a couple of hours, should be able to find details on www.eerc.co.uk

Phil
Old 20 Sep 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1714810)   #44
Marc27
Rookie

Marc27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are two more EERC Night meetings this year;

Donington Park on the 4th November and

Brands Hatch on the 17th November.

Unfortunately I'm away for the Brands race, but I'm going to try and do the Donington one.

http://eerc.co.uk/cms/news.php?item.352
Old 20 Sep 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1714848)   #45
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm I was going to try and make it to one of those meetings, dilemma is which one do i choose!
Old 20 Sep 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1714898)   #46
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks!

thanks hubble and marc, i'll pencil those dates in!
Old 20 Sep 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1715029)   #47
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Hmm I was going to try and make it to one of those meetings, dilemma is which one do i choose!
Unfortunately I can't make either.....WHT at Silverstone on 4/5th (plus 5th is my birthday), and I may be in Rome for the weekend of the 17th
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1715854)   #48
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Rome...how romantic you are Hubble!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1715858)   #49
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Marc27, if you havn't got a pass then Brands is a must as you can get some nice stuff there in the dark without any probs...Don' on the other hand would be a complete waste of time without a pass!