Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 20 Jul 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1968463)   #26
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Really? Have you never wondered where the energy goes when a car hits a barrier?
well, obvioulsy i know that if i touch a barrier and car crashes into it right in front of my person then there could be a little energy
i just hadnt thought about their being a shockwave from quite a distance away. But now you say it, it makes sense.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1968737)   #27
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
A good hat goes a long way too.
DWA, please take note

JB
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1970408)   #28
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep pesterin', i'm doin my best, not sure how far it's getting me. But I keep hopin', and pushin', and what more can I do? I am in touch with an agency too, and a possible opportunity has arisen, but I still don't know. Always keep your fingers crossed, except when you're shooting, as that might harm your portfolio.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1971503)   #29
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add to the not leaning on barriers tip, I've noted that reading through the Media information for the Spa 24 Hours, that they are specifically telling us not to lean against them at any time or even rest cameras on them, and obviously not to stand in a gap.

This is probably fairly routine conditions but I thought it was worth bringing them up to underline the point etc. That and the inevitable restrictions on shooting at Radion in the first couple of laps. With that in mind I guess I'll opt for Les Combes or maybe even Rivage.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 06:37 (Ref:1971733)   #30
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
As a complete amateur who will always be that - lots of good advice and a good thread indeed. So good luck to you fraggs......
Thank you Having got myself to the stage that I'm at. I just didn't want to look a complete idiot the first time (whenever that maybe) I get a media pass.

So having read the threads on here and knowing that a few that post on here are already involved in going to circuits and the like with media passes and have got alot of knowledge about what to do, what not do, what happens, etc... I thought I'd ask and see what advice everyone had to give.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1972949)   #31
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
Thank you Having got myself to the stage that I'm at. I just didn't want to look a complete idiot the first time (whenever that maybe) I get a media pass.

So having read the threads on here and knowing that a few that post on here are already involved in going to circuits and the like with media passes and have got alot of knowledge about what to do, what not do, what happens, etc... I thought I'd ask and see what advice everyone had to give.
I second that, as I hope to beat you to that media pass Let the competition begin!!!

if that don't work...
Old 25 Jul 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1973002)   #32
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trackside Safety

Back in the days when WTCC and FIA GT appeared on the same bill there was a policy of holding a mandatory photo briefing at each race. This has subsequently been dropped, a mistake in view as spelling out the rules is beneficial to all, especially the less experienced members of the media.

(In the US briefings are still held at ALMS races............but their lawyers are way more heavy than ours.)

Jacquie Groom, the FIA GT Media delegate, has prepared a single sheet of instructions and suggestions for those going trackside and has kindly allowed me to post it here on this forum. I hope that it will be of interest to those of you working between the fences.

As an aside, it is interesting that none of the forgoing posts make any reference to the business side of motorsport photography, which is easily the most difficult part of the job, given that with today's camera systems it requires spectacular incompetance not to get shots that are in focus, properly exposed and composed correctly. But that says something else about this aspect of the sport.

Here are the notes:

TO ALL CAMERA CREWS, PHOTOGRAPHERS and
JOURNALISTS WITH PIT-LANE ACCESS

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES CAREFULLY
THEY SHOULD BE FOLLOWED AT ALL TIMES

Passes and Access
Photographers must wear the FIA GT armband or FIA GT Photo Vest at all times when working around the track or in the pit lane. TV Cameramen must wear the cameramen’s tabard.
All TV and Video Cameras must have their camera sticker attached to the camera.

Photographers Windows
A photographer who is taking picture through a window in the fence MUST respect his colleagues.
No one has the right to occupy a hole for more than 5 minutes. Please respect this limit and then step back to give your colleagues the same opportunity.

Barriers
For security reasons, it is forbidden to lean on the barriers. You may not cross these barriers, or place your cameras on these barriers. Do not stand in breaks in the barriers.

Pit Lane
PLEASE TAKE CARE.
The pit-lane is a place of work, and can be dangerous, especially during the FIA GT race, when refuelling takes place.
You may only access the pit-lane if you have a PIT LANE pass
You may not stand on the pit wall or under the wall unless you have a PIT WALL pass.
Wear sensible clothing. Shorts, skirts and open-toed shoes are not advisable, and will be banned in the pit lane during the FIA GT race
Camera crews are advised to wear fire suits if they are filming in the pit-lane during the FIA GT race
Remain alert at all times. If someone is waving a pit board in front of you, a car is almost certainly coming up behind you. Get out of the way !
Remember that cars want to leave as soon as possible after their stops. Be aware of this, and move to the back of the car rapidly.

Parc Fermé
Parc Fermé is out of bounds to the Media.

Race Officials
Media may not contact the FIA Race Director, Technical Director or Stewards of the Meeting directly, unless they are directly instructed to do so. They should contact the Media Delegate in case of any problems.

Podium
The only photographers allowed on the podium are the host TV cameraman, the Official photographer of the circuit and the official photographer of the Championship.

Videocameras
A photographer’s pass only grants you the right to take still pictures.
Digital video cameras taking moving pictures will be considered as TV cameras, and therefore CONFISCATED unless sporting the appropriate TV camera sticker.
Unauthorized shooting of moving pictures may results in a REFUSAL OF MEDIA CREDENTIALS for subsequent event(s).

Marshals
Obey all instructions from the marshals and officials. They are there for your safety. In case of problems, please do not attempt to solve problems yourself, but report them to the Media Delegate

If you encounter any problems, please report them to the FIA Media Delegate. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THEM YOURSELVES.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1973215)   #33
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
I second that, as I hope to beat you to that media pass Let the competition begin!!! if that don't work...
Good luck and I hope it all works out for you..

Thanks samoan attorney for the information you posted, its much appreciated.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1973266)   #34
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney
skirts and open-toed shoes are not advisable, and will be banned in the pit lane during the FIA GT race
and thats why i wont be working the pit lane. its my right to wear a skirt if i want to
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1973287)   #35
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd heard the rumours Gary...
Old 25 Jul 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1973314)   #36
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
I'd heard the rumours Gary...
so long as you havent seen the photos
Old 25 Jul 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1973355)   #37
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
so long as you havent seen the photos
let's hope we never do...
Old 25 Jul 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1973482)   #38
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Did you shave your legs???
Old 26 Jul 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1973620)   #39
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Did you shave your legs???
waxing is the only way to go
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1973678)   #40
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter
and thats why i wont be working the pit lane. its my right to wear a skirt if i want to
This is a good example of why I don't post much on this forum.

The subject is a serious one and all that some can do is take the p***.

Considering that there are those posting who were unaware of a basic rule for working trackside, don't lean on the barriers, it might be better if they absorbed and learnt from the advice from the FIA GT Media Delegate rather than indulge in VIZ style gags.

A question was asked from an inexperienced photographer about the best way to conduct themselves between the fences.

We have all been there on our first meeting with a pass and back in the time before the internet there was little information easily available except by asking other "pros" who were not always forthcoming with advice, why help the competition was the attitude.

For the benefit of those few who might still be listening to the sermon I would add a few things to the notes from the FIA.

Work with the marshals, in the UK they are a professional bunch, don't get in their way and if in doubt ask whether they are comfortable with your position on the sidelines.........they stand at the post all day and have a better appreciation of the dangers of the situation than you will have.

If you feel in any way uncomfortable with your shooting location move, the object is to get shots to fulfill the brief not test the limits of intestinal fortitude.

Respect your fellow media by being aware of where they are and not obstructing their shots and try to keep the chimping while trackside to a minimum, missing the shot might be the least of your problems if you are concentrating on the screen. Also respect the view of the spectators wherever possible, they have paid money to get in.

We live and work in a time where the individual's chioce to accept risk has been eroded through legislation and the consequences of the compensation culture. This is not a bad thing in itself but it would be very easy for circuits and race organisers to use insurance or health and safety concerns to restrict the trackside access of photographers completely. If we behave in a professional manner we give them less reason to do so.........if not....well, there will not be a profession for people to aspire to..........the choice is in our hands.

John Brooks
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1973690)   #41
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite agree. Let's keep this on topic, if you want to flirt with each other do it elsewhere.

Last edited by MikeHoyer; 26 Jul 2007 at 08:49.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1973720)   #42
badgerbaiter
Racer

i'm really sorry mike.. if you want to ban me i'll understand.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1973727)   #43
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
This is a good example of why I don't post much on this forum.

The subject is a serious one and all that some can do is take the p***.
Dont take it so personally
Old 26 Jul 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1973738)   #44
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Considering that there are those posting who were unaware of a basic rule for working trackside, don't lean on the barriers,
i didnt say i didnt know you shouldnt lean on the barrier, i said i didnt know the shockwave travels so far. No one here is daft enough to lean on the barrier.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1973759)   #45
badgerbaiter
Racer

Last edited by badgerbaiter; 26 Jul 2007 at 10:14.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1974150)   #46
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
anyway.. back on topic..

Its all appreciated advice, as I've heard.. I've been successful for my first media pass, so will be out and about this weekend.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1978410)   #47
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
err, samoan attorney, calm down...

you must be a lawyer, coz only lawyers and the FBI have their sense of humour removed in training!