Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Jan 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2815795)   #26
polease
Rookie

United Kingdom
polease should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I was fortunate enough to drive my fathers Broadspeed Mk2 Lotus Cortina to school when in 6th form. It went like hot Sn++t!! The green stripe differed in that it was more angular on the down slope to the rear cluster, had a Les Leston steering wheel, unbrella style handbreak, small upsweep to center consul with clock in it and a calibrated speedo (but it had not been used by Police). Instruments were in top pod as per the GT.
Its cams were certainly different, giving smooth tickover (not like the L2?) and it peaked out at about 125 mph (ish). On the boot lid was a chrome Broadspeed badge ( I still have the badge). Servicing was carried out by Gerald Ashmore in West Bromwich who used to race D types, they painted the block grey, and the cam covers yellow in tribute to Ralph Broad. Dad bought it second hand from Spot Garage Bristol Road Northfield Birmingham in 1969 (I think) the previous owner having been the owner of Ashton engineering Digbeth Birmingham, who was a mate of Ralph Broad, and used to lend it to him to "try stuff on" he said "it was never the same car twice"! Dad sold it when the valve seats were due replacement (costly then) Registration number was JOV338E. I hope this is of interest (I only joined to post this!)
Old 15 Jan 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2815940)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Polease, great first post.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2816132)   #28
gypseywilson
Rookie

gypseywilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shared an "ex works" Mk 2 twin cam at a Huddersfield Motor Club autocross with the owner Russell Earnshaw (He still competes in historic races with his son in a mini) in the early 70's. That was, I think, CTC 13 E.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2816799)   #29
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Broadspeed Anglias

Greetings! With reference to Broadspeed Anglias I quote a previous poster ..."Lump was a single cam FII SCA based thing, with downdraft IVAs and slide throttle."
I am pretty certain that this is incorrect. The engines I seem to remember were Cosworth MAE, i.e pushrod engines not overhead-cam SCA (single cam model A). I don't think that the group 5 regs would have allowed such a fundamental change from pushrod to OHC. The engines were equipped with Tecalemit-Jackson fuel injection. Later engines were downdrafted, but still pushrod.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3191501)   #30
fridgeman
Rookie

United Kingdom
derbyshire
fridgeman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is or was a broadspeed mk2 cortina GT hidden away in derbyshire built to order in there colours,used to race but not for many years.still in mint condition. has all the origonal paperwork with it.i tried to buy it a few years back but to no avail.

so yes i believe at least one was made.