Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 24 May 2001, 11:27 (Ref:95922)   #26
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree with what Raoul is saying. To call someone's opinions "rubbish", is in my book certainly not offensive. It's simply a colourful way of stating your disagreement, if you disagree strongly enough. Though I believe I've never called anyone's opinions "rubbish" on this forum, I certainly wouldn't be offended if anyone said that to me. The line must be drawn between attacking the post and attacking the poster.
Old 24 May 2001, 22:06 (Ref:96238)   #27
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are more polite ways of dissagreeing with someones opinions then calling them "rubbish" or "pointless". The whole point of having discussions on a forum is for people to debate over something constructively, and make intelligent obvservations to one another. If your just going to devalue someones point of veiw, well then that is not constructive and it really makes the whole point of a discussion forum seem futile.
Old 25 May 2001, 00:19 (Ref:96295)   #28
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raoul, what you say is true, as far as it goes. However, there are occassions when a poster will say something so utterly offensive or blatantly untrue, that I would like to reserve the right to say: "RUBBISH"

...or a variation thereof.
Old 25 May 2001, 01:20 (Ref:96312)   #29
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubbish, balderdash, blather, bunkum, claptrap, drivel, garbage, nonsense, piffle, rigmarole, tomfoolery, trash, twaddle, tommyrot, applesauce, baloney, bilge, bull, bunk, hooey, malarkey.

There are lots of words one can use if you disagree with someone's post.
I always keep in mind that I'm reading someone elses opinion on a certain matter.
An opinion can be a judgement based on special knowledge or it can be a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Either way, I have to respect that opinion and when I disagree I say so: 'I have a different opinion.'

The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion.
Old 25 May 2001, 03:09 (Ref:96334)   #30
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it does depend on the person as to how you argue together - some people enjoy heated arguments and some people are very polite even when they are disagreeing with you. Unfortunately those two sorts of people usually marry each other. But Raoul I would not call your opinions rubbish because (a) they aren't usually, and (b) you have said you don't like to argue in that style. Tristan, however, doesn't mind it and he argues the same way as I do, so calling his opinions rubbish doesn't upset him (or me).

It is of course possible to just say "I don't agree" and leave it at that, or even "I don't agree and here is why." But sometimes "I can't believe you meant to say that" will do too.
Old 25 May 2001, 04:11 (Ref:96350)   #31
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It does depend on the person to whom this is addressed. I would only reserve such a comment to someone who is posting blatant nonsense repeatedly, but even then only under provocation. To say this to someone who you don't know well can be hurtful.
Old 25 May 2001, 06:37 (Ref:96381)   #32
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree that it depends a lot on who you're talking to. You get a glimpse of someone's character through their posts (or so I believe), and it's probably wise to word your response accordingly. As I said, I don't believe I've ever called anyone's opinion "rubbish" in this forum, and if someone posts blatant nonsense repeatedly, it's probably best to ignore it (established members not included of course ).
Old 27 May 2001, 09:51 (Ref:97168)   #33
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This idea is certainly a possible solution to a problem. I must admit that it's one that I don't like though... our solution is to have a set of rules which everyone must adhere to. If these rules are broken, then we will move the offending topic to a more suitable place - our 'pulled posts' forum...
Old 29 May 2001, 01:21 (Ref:98121)   #34
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, that puts the kybosh on my wonderful idea. I suppose we'll just have to refrain from insulting, and abusing each other and keep this forum friendly.
Now for my next idea.............???????????????
Old 29 May 2001, 01:29 (Ref:98124)   #35
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
......... removing a certain Aussie moderator *hides as AMoffat walks in the room*
Old 29 May 2001, 07:13 (Ref:98199)   #36
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the Admins should have the option to verbally flay those who deserve it. Or just ban them outright.

How does Wrex spell his name again?

I think some sparring is OK, it is usually easy to tell the posts where the person has intended to 'flame' another.
Old 29 May 2001, 08:40 (Ref:98226)   #37
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
I think some sparring is OK, it is usually easy to tell the posts where the person has intended to 'flame' another.
I know what you mean, stuff like;

"Ralf can't drive"

"Ralf can't win"

"Ralf will crash"

You mean stuff like that right?
Old 29 May 2001, 21:06 (Ref:98499)   #38
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't remember saying Ralf will crash, spin into the gravel trap yes, crash no.

Yeah, I guess stuff like that.