Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2208690)   #26
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Webber to retire.
You could well be kidding, but in all seriousness, you raise an interesting possibility Peter.

How long does MW want to race - especially if the teams he lands a ride with are not a particular threat to win? Webber does not strike me as particularly ego-driven. He has a "life" if you will and so I wonder how long he will want to stay in the show.

Interesting.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 May 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2208701)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He already said that sometimes he prefers to go biking with his dog in the mountains...
Old 22 May 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2208703)   #28
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
How long does MW want to race - especially if the teams he lands a ride with are not a particular threat to win? Webber does not strike me as particularly ego-driven. He has a "life" if you will and so I wonder how long he will want to stay in the show.
I think another 2 years, 3 would be the outside, I do not see a DC/Rubins type hang on
If he doesn't stay at RBR the next tem will be his last, if he does a 1 year at RBR then he may go 2 somewhere else, if he does 2 at RBR, he may finish at the end of that or go 1 more year.

I see 2 seats as a definate, DC and Rubins, but you could easily see a few surprise outs.
Is Fisi contracted for 09? His driving (last race excepted) would suggest that you keep him, but...
Trulli has one more year, doesn't he, as with Button
I think everyone else will stay on the grid, even if they move teams, and that includes Piquet, who is underperforming but has time and politics on his side. I remember that Sutil has a contract and is young and a FI are looking at him a a long term thing. Nakajima is doing well, as is Glock, and both are young with a "future"
Bourdais? Driving well, but contract may be an issue, especially if someone else has money.

Last edited by Notso Swift; 22 May 2008 at 00:17.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2208714)   #29
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is a silly season thread without tgf.
all teams will replace their drivers with michael schumacher clones. because all drivers will be equal the fia will institute a spec chassis. further all cars will be painted red and have the number 1. this will eliminate all spying scandals, insure that there will be no question as to who is the number one driver, and make all race results predictable for the forum competitions.
Old 22 May 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2208812)   #30
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Webber to retire.
Couldn't help yourself.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2208876)   #31
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
He already said that sometimes he prefers to go biking with his dog in the mountains...
His dog rides a bike? Never mind F1 racing, that could make him a fortune...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 May 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2208893)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32

But if Rosberg leaves then there will be some real movement, Rosberg to McLaren meaning that Heikki would be looking around, possibly a direct swap with Rosberg and Williams.
Was reading somewhere online yesterday, Martin Whitmarsh stateing that the team are more than happy with their current drivers and have no intention of replaceing them.Now i know that he's not going to say anything else, but i don't see Rosberg going to McLaren, especially only 6 months after he signed a new contract with Williams.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2208946)   #33
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be surprised if McLaren were looking to replace Heikki - the fact he doesn't have more points right now is essentially down to bad luck rather than any particular failing on his part. And McLaren aren't exactly known for chopping and changing their driver line-up if they can help it - I think they're best off sticking with the stability of the Hamilton-Kovalainen partnership.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 May 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2208965)   #34
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree RG. I think we're in for some driver pairing stability akin to Hakkinen/DC at McLaren, especially given Heikki's solid performances so far.
Old 22 May 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2209063)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
His dog rides a bike? Never mind F1 racing, that could make him a fortune...
... people don't know what they got in their hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
"But when you are getting smoked down at the back every week and it's tough, I'd rather be riding my mountain bike with my dog,"
Here lies his fortune...
Old 23 May 2008, 04:07 (Ref:2209522)   #36
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
And McLaren aren't exactly known for chopping and changing their driver line-up if they can help it - I think they're best off sticking with the stability of the Hamilton-Kovalainen partnership.
Anything is possible. But lets look at the last few years. Since 2004, Kimi, DC, Montoya, Alonso, Lewis and Hekki. 6 drivers in 4 years isnt exactly rock solid. But i get your point. They do tend to look for long service from their drivers, even if they dont end up getting it.

I still personally think that if Williams continue to lack development through the season then by his 4th year in F1 Rosberg will be wanting to get a better seat before another generation of "it" drivers come along and he becomes another Button, Heidfeld, Fisi, Webber etc running around fighting for the best of the rest seats.

Whether its McLaren or another team, who knows. Only that they were keen on Rosberg over Heikki last year and have made the point that they got the best of the "available drivers" not the best driver or the driver they wanted.

I still think it will be a quiet silly season, but here is wishing that there are at least a few moves at Williams, BMW and Renault so that the new year can hold some increased interest
Old 23 May 2008, 12:05 (Ref:2209743)   #37
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
I reckon we could see Rosberg off to BMW to take Quick Nick's place next year. I do hope Old Beardy does get competitive again, and BMW seem to be backing him (I read an interview with Theissen saying that Nick's in the same place that Robert was in last year with regard to setup) but I think a chance to sign Rosberg will be hard to resist for them.
Old 23 May 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2209754)   #38
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'm not sure that Rosberg will go anywhere - he'd definitely have no shortage of offers, but IIRC it's not long since he extended his contract with Williams and there's no way they're going to just let him go. By the sounds of things, they were happy to turn down a pretty substantial offer from McLaren for him last winter, so he may just end up staying put.
Old 23 May 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2209755)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Couldn't help yourself.
No because it's silly like the thread title suggests.
Old 24 May 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2210301)   #40
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nando to Ferrari is as good as done some reckons : http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20397.html
Old 24 May 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2210334)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's what I call a "good rumour"... Now finally the "axis of evil" are complete !
Old 24 May 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2210603)   #42
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That's what I call a "good rumour"... Now finally the "axis of evil" are complete !
North Korea is fielding a team????
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 May 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2210653)   #43
Clunk or Zilly
Rookie

Scotland
Mornington Crescent
Clunk or Zilly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could be.
Ssangyong to buy Toro Rosso ??
Old 24 May 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2210689)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Either his dog is very fit, Mark's a slow cyclist, or his dog rides a bike.
Old 24 May 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2210694)   #45
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
His dog rides a bike?
Just read the rest of the thread. Great minds and all that, Ralf's Girl. Great minds.

But perhaps not as great as Webber's dog.

Quote:
Nakajima is doing well,
I don't get why so many people think this. He's doing about as well as I expected which is not all that well. He's doing okay I suppose, as he was probably moved out of GP2 a bit early to help Williams's Toyota relations/deal, but Rosberg more than has the measure of him.
Old 24 May 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2210814)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
We love to have an enemy, don't we ???

Anyway, people would love to see the s much hated Ferrari driven by the so much hated Alonso. It would bring back memories of another hated duo...
Old 26 May 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2212132)   #47
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, in the space of two weeks and one race weekend it seems that Heidfeld is no longer being publicly supported by Thiessen. It didnt take long for the axe to fall on JV, i ws saying at the start of the season that Heidfled will struggle to hold onto his seat. Looks like the storm clouds are forming

Will be real interesting to what transpires
Old 26 May 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2212160)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Have you got a link?
Old 26 May 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2212166)   #49
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Well, he hopes he can get out of his slump:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...25113229.shtml

I do too, it's a shame to see Nick struggling If he does end up being axed, then as OZ_HCR32 says we'll get something interesting happening.
Old 26 May 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2212170)   #50
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
He's doing okay I suppose, as he was probably moved out of GP2 a bit early to help Williams's Toyota relations/deal, but Rosberg more than has the measure of him.
1 solitary point separates them, Nico has 8 , Nakajima 7, who would have thought that.....

A) He'd be this close to Nico

B) Have more points than Piquet/Glock/Coulthard (hell, he has more than all 3 combined ) who are his "equivilents" in the teams that Williams are racing.

All in all, the boy's doing good imo.