Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2257038)   #26
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread reminded me of a time I went to the Indy last year. A couple of drivers from team blue and green came out from their pits. Said to g'day to both, the bloke in the blue car said g'day back but the guy from the green car turned his head up and ignored me. Said g'day again and after a few choice words and made fun of my weight he scurried off. After that, I didn't have much time for him. So much unlike his father that earned his nickname from.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2257080)   #27
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
This thread reminded me of a time I went to the Indy last year. A couple of drivers from team blue and green came out from their pits. Said to g'day to both, the bloke in the blue car said g'day back but the guy from the green car turned his head up and ignored me. Said g'day again and after a few choice words and made fun of my weight he scurried off. After that, I didn't have much time for him. So much unlike his father that earned his nickname from.
Obviously no mirrors at his place.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2257097)   #28
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_xr8
It seems this driver never watched Dick and Brocky conduct themselves after race meetings. Went to DJR when i was 14 in middle of JAN the place was a ghost town asked the receptionist if Dicky was around she said hang on ill ring him. She said he is just getting lunch he will be 5 mins. Sure enough 5 mins later dick appears and happily signs autographs takes pictures and thanks us for coming up as we are from sydney.
Dick yes, brock no. My mates follow DJR, and one year at Bathurst was chatting with brocky, until he looked and saw the DJR logo, then just walked away. I've never had that problem with Dick when wearing holden gear.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2257099)   #29
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iwas at Bathurst 1 year when the 2l and the v8s were running together
Saturday after the 2l race
Saw Jimmy in the bar talking on his mobile with a empty glass
I asked if he would like a refill, He declined and went on with his phone call
10mins later
.He came up to me and said "I won today so ill buy you a drink" then he took me over to Drink with him and Steve
Jimmy Left after that one but I continued to drink with Steve
Both top blokes
Old 24 Jul 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2257105)   #30
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
I can back to the seventies , a lot of drivers hads the time, unfourtunatley, todays spotrspersons seem to forget how to conduct themselves.

Had a great chat with Rusty, Bairdo, Bargs at bathurst some years back. Still have chats to a lot of drivers as a flaggy too.

The best was Jim richards, we offered Jim the best job in motorsport. Go to every track, see racing up close , catch all the excitement, want to swap Jim, oh by the way the pays lousy. Jim just laughed with us.

Maybe we need some older statesmen around to teach the new guys.

could be a new thread.
I concur Fomoco - Jim Richards what a gentleman - I was lucky enough to speak with him on a few occasions during the Super Touring series days (I was there as a guest of the TV production company so maybe a bit privileged) but no matter what he always had time - same goes for John Bowe on the odd occasion I met up with him. No matter what - in what we have to call 'an entertainment industry' you have to make time for all sorts of demands and yes some of the younger guys could learn a lesson or three from Jim Richards etal
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2257251)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
I ran into Brock in the pits at his last Bathurst. As he walked towards me I asked him to sign my cap. He brushed me aside with his arm saying he was to busy. I never thought the same of him after that.
Ah so that's the basis for your hang up with him.

I can understand, I myself was nearly knocked to the ground by Greg Murphy during one of his tirades as I casually strolled behind the pits minding my own business. It certainly affected my opinion of him, although he probably meant no harm. I just happened to be in the way and he wasn't looking.

I agree that this is the entertainment business and it's the fans that keep things going, but I think fans have to have some boundaries and consider the driver as well. Not all times are appropriate to approach someone.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2257279)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A family friend tells the story of going to Oran Park back in the Moffat Mazda days, when he would set up the 'fortress' all the way on the other side of the paddock away from everyone else.

He wanders over to have a look at the setup & maybe get a glimpse of the 'sports car'. Moffat see's him and goes over for a chat, invites him inside showing him over the Mazda, even scored a Peter Stuyvesant hat!

The Super Tourer meetings were good, schoolkids like me could wander around & they were only too happy to let you inside and have a look (i was more interested in the privateers, never tried the Volvo or Audi camps)

Its also a pity all the (main series) cars get housed in garages these days at race meetings, back when i was a kid we used to go to Oran Park each year for qualifying on the Saturday, one of my memories is of the Peter Jackson Sierra setup in the middle of the paddock, roped off of course, but easy viewing inside to see the cars and work going on.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 01:12 (Ref:2257502)   #33
2lt SuperTourer
Rookie

2lt SuperTourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Experiences.

Hi.
One year at Lakeside for the SuperTourers,we were walking around the pits watching everyone set up etc,and it started to rain we were looking at paul picketts hyundai and he noticed us and said to come in out of the rain,so we did and had a good look at the car and a great chat with paul,once it stopped raining we thanked him for his time and wished him luck for the day.

Also at lakeside we were looking at john bowes` POZ Cola ferrari and noticed john sitting out the back relaxing and asked neil lowe(after he signed our book) if he could get john to sign our autograph book too for us as we didnt want to bother him while he was relaxing, and neil said that it`d be fine for us to go through and get it ourselves which we did and had a quick chat with john and thanked him for his time.

My Partner went up to Brad Jones (at Lakeside) and said "could i have your autograph please Mr Jones" to which brad replied "Mr Jones is my dad,mines brad but i`ll be glad to sign your book"

One year my partner saw dick johnson walking through the pits at lakeside and asked him if he could sign our autograph book to which he replied no he didnt have time and he kept walking,later on i saw dick in the pits again so i grabbed the book and walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder as he turned around i handed him the book and pen he then signed the book and proceeded to go to the toilet.

We also got allan Jones autograph (he was a bit grumpy),Kelvin O`reilly was dumb founded as to why i would want his autograph but we got it anyway.Patrick watts was very nice aswell when we asked for his autograph,allan letcher was pleased that someone wanted his autograph,Steve Johnson was very pleasant (unlike his dad),and peter brock was one of the best to get an autograph from,we also got laurie and nolene donaher (from syvania waters fame)and Michael donaher who noticed the kiss shirt i was wearing and talked about them for a while.

Barry sheene,Victor bray and david campese where nice aswell,as was Sharna from the first series of big brother who was doing the pit reports for the Power Tour,and Tony quinn was great when i met him at lakeside a few weeks ago....

Thanks...
Old 25 Jul 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2257524)   #34
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who remembers when it was free-game to get into the 'media conference' after qualifying for a V8 round?

Afterwards the drivers would hang around & mingle, my younger brother had a his year made one time when Dick Johnson posed for two photo's with him, & Alan Jones signed my fathers shirt he had bought more than a decade earlier at the 1981 Las Vegas Grand Prix...i also recall a young kid walking around the media area after the conference with a helmet he was getting all the drivers to sign, and Neil Crompton trying to find space on it for his name, the kid was as happy as Larry (who had presumebly signed the helmet as well)
Old 25 Jul 2008, 03:38 (Ref:2257534)   #35
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last weekend, my best mate was crewing on a Porsche at QR and Jim Richards called in to chat with the driver and team owner. They introduced Richo to my mate and then Richo spent 30 minutes chatting with my mate and telling him everything he knows about Porsches! My mate came away so impressed!
Old 25 Jul 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2257536)   #36
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Years ago, we were wandering around the V8 transporter park at Indy when we accidentally came across Natalie & Craig Lowndes sitting at the back of a trailer having lunch. Craig very cheerfully said hello to us and struck up a brief conversation! He couldn't be more friendly or down to Earth. I've always liked the guy, but more so ever since that day.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 05:15 (Ref:2257554)   #37
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick always seems a little grumpy about being 'interrupted' but he still has taken the time out on a few occasions to have a quick chat and sign gear. When the time is there he is great conversation.

Few years back, Lowndes' missus approached me as I was waiting for Craig to leave his trailer...she said Hi, asked how I was and called me 'cutie' , thus becoming my favourite person in pitlane. Craig, your wife is hitting on me!

Ross Stone seemed surprised that I wanted to say hello and chat with an owner, but spent quite some time talking to me about his time with Ambrose and what to expect in 08 with The Giz. I asked if Shane was around (we were in pitlane) but Ross said he was way over in merchandising tent so unavailable for an autograph. I thanked him for his time, turned around and I swear it was Shane I walked past as I moved on. Protecting his new young driver's time or my mistake, I'll never know.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2257560)   #38
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71
Ross Stone seemed surprised that I wanted to say hello and chat with an owner, but spent quite some time talking to me
I had a similar exprience at the '07 Indy. Was in the PCR garage and he peered out, and we said g'day and quickly got chatting about F1. Also had a laugh after I spotted some PC's in the garage with Scuderia Ferrari wallpapers on them and I said to Ross: "Entering F1 next year are we?" Which he replied with a puzzled face and said "Eh?" After I pointed out the PC's, he chuckled and said "maybe, watch this space" with a wink and a devilish grin.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2257682)   #39
GeoffR
Rookie

GeoffR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with the post above re Allan Moffat. Back in the early '70s we were cruising the Melb CBD in my 'hot' HR Holden & ended up following a red Falcon ute along Swanston St. When we pulled up next to it at the lights it didn't take long to work out who the driver was - one A Moffat (with Pauline next to him). So we stirred him up for a traffic light derby, and I actually grabbed half a car length when the lights turned green. However when the ute stopped wheelspinning & got traction it was "game over".
After about 3 similar episodes we were out along St Kilda Rd when Moff wound down the window & said 'Follow me & we'll have a beer'. Absolutely dumbfounded we followed him along Toorak Rd to a quiet little pub in Sth Yarra where we spent an hour or two blowing the froth off a couple & having a good chat.
Turned out that the ute had an ex Bathurst HO engine & running gear - no wonder it went. Absolutely the opposite of you would expect back then when he wasn't the most popular driver.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2257928)   #40
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one autograph I'll treasure is John Britton (Britton Motorcyles), he always made sure he cam to the flaggie breifings if his riders were racing and said thanks for giving up our time for them to come out and play. He then told us any time we wanted to come to his pits he'll get all the riders to pose for photo's or sign out stuff.

He then past away six months later....... We are still welcome at the factory today to have alook around.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2257969)   #41
Waimate1
Rookie

Australia
North of the Black Stump
Waimate1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now a visit to that factory for the Aussies heading to Skope would be a brilliant idea, can ya arrange?
Old 26 Jul 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2258037)   #42
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
The one autograph I'll treasure is John Britton (Britton Motorcyles), he always made sure he cam to the flaggie breifings if his riders were racing and said thanks for giving up our time for them to come out and play. He then told us any time we wanted to come to his pits he'll get all the riders to pose for photo's or sign out stuff.

He then past away six months later....... We are still welcome at the factory today to have alook around.
That's a good get, Britton was a genius and not just with Bikes. The book on his life is well worth a read.
As for the subject of V8 Drivers we've had most of them on the show over the years and most have been pretty good. However over the last few years the attitude has crept in with some of them and much of it stems for their minders who seem to think that it's their job to "protect" them from media and fans not promote them. It's even a part of the atmosphere in the media centre with everyone taking themselves way too seriously. It's the main reason I've stopped going to V8 rounds.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2258038)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I'm not into bikes but the Britten story is pretty interesting and I first became aware of it due to a display in a museum in Christchurch. There is also one of his bikes on display in the national museum in Wellington.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2258735)   #44
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Hey Waimate, unfortunitly - that would be a no....... Yeah it was certaintly special......

John had an aura about him that was just amazing.... like the king of the mount - you knew you were talking to someone special......
Old 28 Jul 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2258757)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
That's a good get, Britton was a genius and not just with Bikes. The book on his life is well worth a read.
As for the subject of V8 Drivers we've had most of them on the show over the years and most have been pretty good. However over the last few years the attitude has crept in with some of them and much of it stems for their minders who seem to think that it's their job to "protect" them from media and fans not promote them. It's even a part of the atmosphere in the media centre with everyone taking themselves way too seriously. It's the main reason I've stopped going to V8 rounds.
I'm sure one of the issues like Nascar, V8's have become pretty popular with the public and there is only so much time to go around. I think people have to have some boundaries on both sides understanding that.(I've seen people approach drivers in the loo. ????) If one is there to race and hundreds or thousands want your autograph or to talk to you, unfortunately someone is going to get left out.

I suspect there are some though that believe their own press too much and take themselves too seriously.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2258863)   #46
ATC
Rookie

ATC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years ago...When AIR had the races in Adelaide...I was doing the usual kid pit walk...Walked up to Peter Willimision and asked for a autograph..Not only did i get one he took a picture of me in is supra !...TOP BLOKE

I was in Mildura last year for work and having a drink in a pub in Mildura...The Kelly's walk in for a drink...After a few I asked the boys if I could buy them a drink...They declined and brought me one...Had a chat and a photo...Rick is a totally different broke away from the track.

My Fav...Jeff Burton...In the states for work..Went to a race courtesy of AT&T...Met Jeff Burton after the race...He spent more time asking me questions about Australia,Marcos Ambrose,V8's and the future of mobile phones than I did asking him questions...He then signed my AT&T jacket and race book then thanked me for coming to the race and staying behind !
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2258866)   #47
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
In my personal (and friends) experience -

The Best:

Dick Johnson
Allan Moffat
Seto
Anyone named Richards (even BPB!)
Brad Jones
Bargs
Cam

The Good:

Murf
Bowey
Lowndes
Rusty
Brock (certainly later on anyway)
Todd Kelly
Paul Morris (he probably does'nt get asked too many times) ... however, then he rammed me off the footpath.
Junior

The Bad:

Mr Skaife
Allan Jones
Mr Tander

The Others - don't know
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2258922)   #48
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
his driving mightn't be the best on the grid but PD is good to have a chat to as is Jase Richards (can't remember if i mentioned him before).
Old 29 Jul 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2259879)   #49
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
[quote=good to have a chat to as is Jase Richards (can't remember if i mentioned him before).[/quote]

I have to agree with this as a couple years ago at Indy Jason and his team were staying at the hotel where I work and I took his team to their rooms and was having a great chat with them all.

I then reminded Jason about his day at the 'Canterbury Racing School' and that I knew him from their. So every time I time I see him, I stoip to chat as he his so easy going.

The funnest was Mr Crompton, he was so supprised that some one asked him for his autograph.... he tripped over a power lead
Old 30 Jul 2008, 04:23 (Ref:2260058)   #50
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have to agree with this as a couple years ago at Indy Jason and his team were staying at the hotel where I work and I took his team to their rooms and was having a great chat with them all.

I then reminded Jason about his day at the 'Canterbury Racing School' and that I knew him from their. So every time I time I see him, I stoip to chat as he his so easy going.

The funnest was Mr Crompton, he was so supprised that some one asked him for his autograph.... he tripped over a power lead
To this day Jason still holds the best response to me from any professional sportsman.

One year at Bathurst as he signed the wife's shirt, I mentioned to him that she refers to him as "Smiley".

He responded with "Why wouldnt I be smiling? Im living my dream and being paid for it". It was just a refreshing attitude from a driver.