Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Aug 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2273309)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2009 will be the 80th anniversary of The Park so it would be fantastic to have it run, and run as a historic festival.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2273354)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
2009 will be the 80th anniversary of The Park so it would be fantastic to have it run, and run as a historic festival.
Hear hear!!
Old 22 Aug 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2273355)   #28
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
2003 was the Centenary year of Phoenix Park races ? - I think 2009 could be 80 years since anniversary of the first Grand prix in Ireland
Old 22 Aug 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2273466)   #29
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess time is a relative thing isn't it !
Attached Thumbnails
Park79Cover_Page_01.jpg  
Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2273568)   #30
Farbrooke
Racer

Having looked further into my paperwork from 2003 event - which billed was by MI as the centenary event - an article in the Irish Times throws a little more light - In 1903 the Irish AC hosted the Gordon Bennett and during the two week period a speed trial was arranged in the Park - But racing really started in 1929 with the first Irish International Grand Prix.
So in PR spin 2009 will doubtless read better as the 80th year and not the 106th year since motorsport entered the Park - the spin on which was more fitting 6 years back - as you say its all relative - either way an achievement that should continue
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2273669)   #31
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent, well spotted Farbrooke.

I already had this in mind & if the event is a runner in 2009 you could all look forward to the running of:

DUBLIN GRAND PRIX

The trophy is in Dawson Street.

I understand it could be made available for a suitable grid.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2273747)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

Great idea Eamonn. The Dublin Grand Prix was an F5000 blue riband event in Mondello in the early 1970s so it would seem fitting to build it around that if at all possible. The logical starting point would be to see if it could be a round of the DBT. They appear to have been dropped off the Silverstone Classic the last few years, more's the pity and I've no idea why.

Again a shout out to one or more of the motorsport property moguls in Ireland [some of whom have extensive family connections to the history of The Park] to chip in some of their loose change and help make this happen... You guys know who you are !
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2274160)   #33
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce 10
As to the safety issue - whilst I applaud all efforts to make motorsport as safe as possible, it is what it is. Having raced at Pau last year in the 5000 all I can say is get Phoenix Park up and running! The enjoyment and priviledge of racing on the streets was incredible and the spectators loved it.
Well said Bruce. At last someone with the proper accoutrement's between their legs.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2392592)   #34
Farbrooke
Racer

Motorsport Ireland latest news advises the park is 8/9 August 2009 - A1GP car doing demo's - also demo's on St Patricks parade March 15th
Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2399041)   #35
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrooke
Motorsport Ireland latest news advises the park is 8/9 August 2009 - A1GP car doing demo's - also demo's on St Patricks parade March 15th
This year’s event on August 8/9 will mark the 80th Anniversary of the first Irish Grand Prix. As part of the activities leading up to the event, the St Patrick’s Festival on Sunday 15 March will include a demonstration by a number of racing cars which will be driven from Merrion Square, down O'Connell St, around Parnell Square and back to Merrion Square where they will be on display. The parade will have an A1GP car, and who knows, maybe the Stig will be there too. This takes place around 3:00pm and will have TV coverage.

There will be an exhibition in the Visitors' Centre in the Phoenix Park to celebrate the 80th Anniversary, which will be open for a few weeks before the event. An A1GP car will also do a demonstration run in the Park this year - a great addition to the great racing classes which will be giving their all in the Park 2009.

Old 14 Mar 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2415422)   #36
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it seems the Park is back in 2009. Great News, I hope the drivers support it and come out racing in their hordes. It really does feel like you are a part of history when you line up on the main straight, nothing like I've felt anywhere else.
Anyway, well done to those who are organising it and I hope they manage to actually make a few quid out of it this year! Wouldn't it be well deserved?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2416679)   #37
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie
This year’s event on August 8/9 will mark the 80th Anniversary of the first Irish Grand Prix. As part of the activities leading up to the event, the St Patrick’s Festival on Sunday 15 March will include a demonstration by a number of racing cars which will be driven from Merrion Square, down O'Connell St, around Parnell Square and back to Merrion Square where they will be on display.
I took a few pics of this which can be found HERE. There was a super crowd around Merrion Square and the only shame was that none of them knew what racing cars were doing driving through Dublin City centre??

If hindsight was foresight we'd all have 20/20 vision, but it was a pity not to have someone like Dougie Hughes there on his PA waxing about the Phoenix Park and the cars on display.

A missed opportunity IMO
Old 20 Mar 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2420325)   #38
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great photos Peter, and it looks like a reasonable crowd turned up. Fingers crossed that most of the punters will want to see the cars driven in anger, and will make the effort to visit Mondello and Kirky for a few races!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2431556)   #39
stevensannj
Rookie

Ireland
stevensannj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Park 2009

Glad to see some 'conversations' taking place about the Park this year!

SO let's get the title right to start with - The Phoenix Park Motor Races 2009 featuring the Dublin Grand Prix............
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2434487)   #40
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yip, its official, the Park is very much on....and not too far away either..
Some very exciting rumours about visiting classes etc, should be a great weekend!!
I'll be there with the microphone or the Imp.... or both!!
How there's a thought!!
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2434576)   #41
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth View Post
Yip, its official, the Park is very much on....

That's great news Leo, fingers crossed for full grids in every class.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2434626)   #42
T.H.Photo
Rookie

Ireland
dublin
T.H.Photo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new park site is up and runing www.phoenixparkmotorraces.com
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2447704)   #43
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.Photo View Post
the new park site is up and running www.phoenixparkmotorraces.com
That link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Try www.phoenixparkmotorraces.eu.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2450254)   #44
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think they will have a class to enter my 1979 Sunbeam Lotus?
It is still steel bodied, original suspension layout, original block, head and still runs on carbs.
But it has been stroked/bored to 2.7 with 327BHP and weighs 840Kgs
so is Caterham R400 quick.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2450782)   #45
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joss Ronchetti View Post
It is still steel bodied, original suspension layout, original block, head and still runs on carbs.
Should fit in Historics as they run to 1979 and anything goes after that. Always a full grid though. Saloon libre if its running too.
Anyone any ideas as to what races are running as i have had a few queries from similar car owners too? Leo?
Old 27 Apr 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2450824)   #46
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Phoenix Park 2009 and beyond

Gentlemen, here is an update on Park 2009 - it reflects some of the work I have been doing here in UK with a number of interested parties.

This event is the 80th Anniversary Meeting of the Irish International Grand Prix, winner Boris Ivanowski. We have been granted permission to use 'Dublin Grand Prix' in the title of the event and for the main feature race of the weekend. This feature race will be for invited Formula Libre cars.

Irish Racing Classes committed are: Formula Libre, Uno Punto, Abarth, Historics, Porsche, Libre Saloons, Strykers, we are chasing the F Vees and Saloon Libre - some spaces available for saloons and sports/sportsracing cars also.

As you are aware from my contacts with you over recent months, we are anxious to secure visiting entries from the following classes- Historic F2/Atlantic/F5000/Classic F3 screamers/FJuniors/Classic F Ford to make up 2 visiting Libre grids of 26 cars each. The format will be, practice and 2 races of duration 20/25/30 mins - TBC. Entry fee is set at €500 per car, ferry and hotel discount deals in place.

8/9 cars from each of the visiting Libre classes and the Irish F Libre class will go forward to the main feature race - The Dublin Grand Prix.

Negotiations are well underway now with the Office of Public Works on the event safety plan and for a revised paddock location. It is intended to televise the meeting on terrestrial and satellite channels.

*Regular progress updates will be available on the Phoenix Park website: phoenixparkmotorraces.eu and also on Ten tenths forum - Phoenix Park Motor Races 2009 and beyond.

Any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via PM on this forum.

Regards

Eamonn

** Please note, this is the current position, which may change as we go along. There will be regular input on this thread from the Park 09 organising committee and the COC Ann Stevens.

*** Entry forms will be available on the event website.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2450828)   #47
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Should be perfect for both Historics and Saloon Libre - keep an eye on the Park website for entry forms - would be great to have you along.

Quote:
Old 16 May 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2463371)   #48
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's the latest on the Park 2009?

I can't wait for the Park weekend with the Dublin Grand Prix where these cars can realy stretch their legs and the sound through the trees...pure magic. I'll be doing my usual dropping down on Friday night to drool over the cars and soak up the atmosphere. Only 3 months to wait, not that I'm counting...
Old 24 May 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2468103)   #49
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Wow! Sounds like some machine. Yeah, sounds ok for our Historics but check the regs on www.hrca.ie Also, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll mail you further details......
Reckon you could take a Tiger with a reputed 500+bhp?! Now that would be worth watching!!
We are also racing in Anglesey on July 4/5 if you want to check out the competition?!
Old 27 May 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2470047)   #50
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Race Paddock at Farmleigh.

The organising committee are pleased to confirm that the Race Paddock will be located in the grounds of Farmleigh, to the North west of the Park. The property consists of some 78 acres and is approached via a private road, off Ordnance Survey Road within the Park.

Parking facilities: hardstanding for 600 cars, dedicated trailer area, reinforced hardstanding area for transporters/HGV. Water, power, CCTV and dedicated security arrangements in place.

Restaurant and cafe facilities.

This new paddock arrangement will greatly enhance the event, particularly in respect of ease of entry/exit for competitors. It also eliminates the problems of parking on grass.

We are most grateful to our main sponsor, The Office of Public Works, who control and manage Phoenix Park and Farmleigh for extending this facility to us for the 80th Anniverary event.

Further updates to follow.