Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2258842)   #26
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to allowing the dead to rest in peace?

Bit disappointing guys.

He was hardly Hitler or Napoleon. Who the hell are we to judge his marital affairs? His marriage and personal life was just that, personal.

Appreciate what he did on the track or indeed, critique his driving, otherwise, shut the hell up I say.

Respect guys... and I'm a Ford fan and never followed PB... but still, human decorum must take precedence... well ... one would hope.

Wanna have a cheap bash? Then go pick on Skaife or something.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2258868)   #27
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO

Bit disappointing guys.

He was hardly Hitler or Napoleon. Who the hell are we to judge his marital affairs? His marriage and personal life was just that, personal.

Appreciate what he did on the track or indeed, critique his driving, otherwise, shut the hell up I say.

Respect guys... and I'm a Ford fan and never followed PB... but still, human decorum must take precedence... well ... one would hope.

ok
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2258883)   #28
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not that I'm religious but ....

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2258888)   #29
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Not that I'm religious but ....

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."
There's are rock in the mail.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2258896)   #30
350LH
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
350LH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we all know who we have to thank for another negative, pointless thread....

By the way, I'm not going anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO

Bit disappointing guys.

Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2259016)   #31
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
We'll let the moderators decide. I think a book about Peters life fits in to the definition of this forum.
It does. I wish it didn't as I can't stand authors making money from salacious gossip about people who can't defend themselves, but I can't change that. I think it ought to be moved over to the Armchair Enthusiast section, though, so expect that to happen in a few hours time.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2259364)   #32
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Understand a couple of things: Webster and Brock were friends for a long time so the book comes as no surprise. Also, books like this are always written post-mortem because basically, the dead can't sue because you can't defame what no longer exists.
Frankly, I'm surprised there have not been a lot more books about Brock, especially a follow-up by Bill Tuckey for his original book.
Personally, I don't care one way or another about Webster's book. I do wish some of you would stop being so goddam precious about the man though.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 01:33 (Ref:2260021)   #33
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. If you chose to live your life in the public eye you can expect every aspect of that life to be scutinised at some point. Yes he was a great driver, yes he had a great ability to generate loyalty, yes he was good with the fans but also yes he was a cheap drunk and a womaniser whom the majority of women would not have put up with.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2260076)   #34
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead
Agreed. If you chose to live your life in the public eye you can expect every aspect of that life to be scrutinized at some point. Yes he was a great driver, yes he had a great ability to generate loyalty, yes he was good with the fans but also yes he was a cheap drunk and a womaniser whom the majority of women would not have put up with.
To true !! same happens to "Public figures"regardless of how high up the ladder you sit , eg Princess Di and the rest of the Royals - Bill Clinton - Bob Hawke - Wayne Carey and the list goes on - as Harry Firth said when Brock married Miss Australia he acted like he was Mr Australia and had become impossible to deal with , the "wife beating"was quite well publicized in the media and the "Pix and Post " magazines of the day had Brock stories in them about the not so happy marriage - doesn't alter the fact that he was a good driver and well liked , most Aussies think that Ned Kelly was also a hero !!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2261378)   #35
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
Frankly, I'm surprised there have not been a lot more books about Brock, especially a follow-up by Bill Tuckey for his original book.
Tuckey's book pretty well covered what this latest one is saying, going on that Age article.

Back when Tuckey wrote TRaFoPB, in the foreward he said that there was a lot more that he could not write about due to the defamation laws of the time. Certainly, if he wanted to, an update to the book could have revealed a lot more now that the guy has passed on.

Webster's not talking about anything new, or anything that we don't already know. Those old enough will remember the rumors and claims of his less than exemplary attitude towards women, or at least, his wives of the time.

What, I think caused me to "disown" Brock as any sort of hero was how he treated his employees and close friends, particularly towards the end of HDT. Not the least his somewhat disparaging comments about his mechanics. The term "mule" was not a complimentary one and the guys didn't appreciate being called that. Particularly when the guy himself was no mechanic.

He had the world. Had it not been for his succumbing to the mystical crap, the polariser and so on, HSV may never have been born.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 04:23 (Ref:2261417)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57
He had the world. Had it not been for his succumbing to the mystical crap, the polariser and so on, HSV may never have been born.
Oh I don't know I think the original HDT was doomed at some point. Brock was never the best business man. HDT I think grew much faster and was more successful then anyone suspected. Originally it was a scheme to provide a special car to dealers and trade on the Brock name. And it was good for all involved. But I don't think there was any business plan or organization beyond that. Eventually it was going to unravel.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2261961)   #37
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I just picked up my copy for $29.99 from Big W and will spend the arvo reading!!
Old 2 Aug 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2261990)   #38
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Oh I don't know I think the original HDT was doomed at some point. Brock was never the best business man. HDT I think grew much faster and was more successful then anyone suspected. Originally it was a scheme to provide a special car to dealers and trade on the Brock name. And it was good for all involved. But I don't think there was any business plan or organization beyond that. Eventually it was going to unravel.
I don't know about that. As long as John Harvey was around and allowed to run things, they were doing ok. It's when things were taken out of his hands that the business went downhill.

Remember, Holden & Tom Walkinshaw grabbed him with both hands to start up HSV, that says a lot about his business abilities.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2265642)   #39
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's some interesting comments written in this book.

One which I saw said something along the lines of "Skaife tends to polarise people - either they hate him or they really hate him".
Old 8 Aug 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2265693)   #40
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
There's some interesting comments written in this book.

One which I saw said something along the lines of "Skaife tends to polarise people - either they hate him or they really hate him".
Interesting choice of words.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2265775)   #41
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting topic really. Obviously, aside from the money making potential of a book like this, the only reason someone would write this crap is to try and remove the 'hero' status of PB. However, he was never a hero because of his personal life, he was a hero because of his driving, and everyone here knows that he was one of the best during the golden age and no one will ever be able to take that away from him.

I mean, sure, the guy was mean drunk, a bit of a weirdo, and quite arrogant at times with people in his professional and personal life, but 9 wins on the mountain is 9 wins on the mountain. Yes, people do have a right to know that the person they consider a hero was once like this but will many of them care? Don't think so.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2265880)   #42
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream'n_Demon
but 9 wins on the mountain is 9 wins on the mountain
'Zactly...and as Allan Moffat once said: "You don't win this race nine times by mistake".

And although Rick Kelly might have once mentioned, when Mummy wasn't cutting his steak for him, he would be out to beat Brock's (Bathurst) record; it hasn't been done yet; and arguably he, or anyone else; except maybe Lowndes, ever will.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2269388)   #43
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
"Skaife tends to polarise people - either they hate him or they really hate him".
Oh thats got to be my new sig....
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2269468)   #44
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
As I said, "This is a motor racing forum", if you want to discuss other peoples' lives, find a social forum or a book review forum.
Agree completely.

For some reason i thought this forum was to do with Australian and New Zealand Touring car racing.

Its very poor form to tarnish someones name when they are dead.

And coming from a member who consistently does it, this thread should have been locked when its intention was clear from the start.

I spoke out about this kind of reputation trashing in another thread but had my post deleted and the thread remained.

Show some respect and guts mods and stop this kind of trash and when needed the members who cause it.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2269491)   #45
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Gee, the Holden sooky precious are out in force this week. I still believe a book about a V8 legend is perfectly suited to this forum.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2269661)   #46
350LH
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
350LH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I find your posts quite amusing, sorry to dissapoint but I dont think anyone really takes you seriously though

Maybe you will have to try harder....?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2269709)   #47
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Gee, the Holden sooky precious are out in force this week. I still believe a book about a V8 legend is perfectly suited to this forum.
That's correct.

The book stated that Brock is the best sedan driver ever that we have seen. Fact.

And that's what's important after all.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 17 Aug 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2270334)   #48
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05
That's correct.

The book stated that Brock is the best sedan driver ever that we have seen. Fact.

And that's what's important after all.
At least he had one good quality.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 03:51 (Ref:2270339)   #49
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely One up on you eh Billy?
Old 17 Aug 2008, 04:20 (Ref:2270346)   #50
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Definitely One up on you eh Billy?
Extremely doubtful.
Closed Thread