Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Aug 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2261900)   #26
Waimate1
Rookie

Australia
North of the Black Stump
Waimate1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Well just read that the IRL want these two dates 4th of October or the 27th of September......

Personally I think that the 27th is a better date..... But I'm guessing that TC won't want that because it will interuppt the enduro's.... but do we really need the V8's there? I would love to see the Asian Gt series around the streets of surfers........

Bring on this year.....
What about Aus GT if they get a pile of GT3's it would be a pretty damn good field and there is always Sports Sedans (fastest Tintops in Aus) they used to support Group A at the Wgtn Street Race.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2261904)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Gold Coast is probably a crown jewel for V8 sponsors and it probably would not help to leave. I suspect V8SC would want to keep that race.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2261912)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Crown jewel for V8 Sponsors? Not by a long, long way but it is a great round, no question.

It was by FAR the biggest event that Champ Car did (roughly double the crowd of any of their other events) and would probably be the second biggest crowd for IRL after Indy itself.

September 27 would be highly unlikely (AFL Grand Final?) as it would knock around crowd, hospitality and even some features of the TV infrastructure.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2261927)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer
Crown jewel for V8 Sponsors? Not by a long, long way but it is a great round, no question.

It was by FAR the biggest event that Champ Car did (roughly double the crowd of any of their other events) and would probably be the second biggest crowd for IRL after Indy itself.

September 27 would be highly unlikely (AFL Grand Final?) as it would knock around crowd, hospitality and even some features of the TV infrastructure.
You don't think so? I'd say it's one of the top races in terms of value to the sponsors and the number of people they reach(320K over 4 days+). A lot of corporate hospitality gets sold as well.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 02:31 (Ref:2261935)   #30
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Good event? Yes but crown jewel definately not.

Clipsal, Bathurst, Perth, Darwin, Sandown (when it was still the 500) offer much better value for sponsors - great hospitality, the cars they sponsor are the core of the event & they can access the team garages etc with VIP guests.

Indy is very expensive hospitality (and much of it not air conditioned which southerners don't always like), very little access to teams because of the garage set up accomodation very expensive and the focus of the event is spread over a number of angles (supercars, US open wheelers, parties etc).

Its a great event but not as good for V8 team sponsors as you might think in comparison to some of the other major V8 events and even mainstream rounds like QR or Oran Park.

V8 Supercars will still want to go I would think, but it would need to be a V8 Supercar headline race meeting for it to start approaching crown jewel status.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2261980)   #31
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I only caught the end of it but Alan Jones was on ABC news talking up A1 - 3 times the global TV "reach"(never mind who is actually watching!) of Indycars, and pointing out Indycars aren't even shown live in the US.

be surprised if the Qld government would fall for it, but you never know ....

The Queensland organisers have had their eyes closed and their fingers in their ears for the last couple of years, believing the fantasy that Champcar then CCWs mattered in the US.
So the organisers could not care less what they are told , they still will believe in the their fantasy.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2261982)   #32
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF say the date is se for october the 4th,then the v8's wont be going because that will give them(v8 teams)only a few days to pack up and headed for the mountain in about 4 days,impossible to do.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2262002)   #33
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not the Crown Event, but the probabaly biggest exposure. I know Clipsal etc and Bathurst are Big, but interntional races combined with V8's does get the V8's out to a bigger audience.

The almighty dollar will come into play. Pay them $$$ and they will rearragne the claender.

Note: V8's Calender out in November
Old 2 Aug 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2262007)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
isnt the calender out at PI
Old 4 Aug 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2263086)   #35
FAST5LT
Rookie

FAST5LT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect an announcement for a new naming rights sponsor in the next few days.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2263137)   #36
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Its a great event but not as good for V8 team sponsors as you might think in comparison to some of the other major V8 events and even mainstream rounds like QR or Oran Park.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until this par... you lost me with this one.

Suggesting the Queensland Raceway round (which had title sponsorship this year from Ipswich Council) is as good for team sponsors as the Gold Coast Indy round is, frankly, laughable.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2263266)   #37
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Government will NOT be closing the streets for a V8 only event (was in the Sunday Mail in Brisbane yesterday), like they have said for years. And even less people care about A1 in this country than IndyCar (if they did then the Creek would have been sold out in the 2 years they held the race).
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2263317)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033
Government will NOT be closing the streets for a V8 only event (was in the Sunday Mail in Brisbane yesterday), like they have said for years. And even less people care about A1 in this country than IndyCar (if they did then the Creek would have been sold out in the 2 years they held the race).
I believe A1 sold more tickets than the V8's at EC.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2263427)   #39
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I believe A1 sold more tickets than the V8's at EC.
They were lucky to get a "crowd" of 1500 there. Then the A1GP eventually realized they were wasting their time in Sydney.
Quote:
And even less people care about A1 in this country than IndyCar (if they did then the Creek would have been sold out in the 2 years they held the race
Very True.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2263530)   #40
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't really matter what races at Indy, so long as there is a loud noise, booze and strippers, it will continue to be a raging success with most of the punters, who are definately not racing pruists.

The QLD Government requires there to be some sort of international open wheel category there to justify their expense in the name of "world wide exposure".

If the A1 GP has a much better world wide TV coverage as is being reported, wouldn't it make a bit of sense to go down that route?

People always attended the event despite a lack of big name drivers and star Aussies... and the A1 does have some very good racing...
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2263682)   #41
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Robert Ryan]They were lucky to get a "crowd" of 1500 there. Then the A1GP eventually realized they were wasting their time in Sydney.

I went to both races and there were great crowds for both events but I think there were less at the second year due to the rain.
Its a shame as this year A1 is running the Ferrari motor and chassis. Its on the A1 forum on ten tenths. This in itself would have increased the numbers at EC.
Turn 1. They had the inside wheel off the ground at 270+.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkMl9Jbpjw
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2263685)   #42
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surfers never floated my boat. Been a few times but you see nothing.

If they ran at Homebush or PI well.... just a thought.
A1 or Indy , V8SC, GT 2 hour sat nite race, F3 , F5000, Production cars. That would be a great event and pull a crowd or too.

Albert Park is also a great track that should have more than one race per year.Turn 4,5,6 F1 qualifying. Here's how I saw it,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vFBmwqElM
Old 5 Aug 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2263747)   #43
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
They were lucky to get a "crowd" of 1500 there.
Based on being there, or on hearsay?
Old 5 Aug 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2263790)   #44
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Agenda.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2263914)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
They were lucky to get a "crowd" of 1500 there. Then the A1GP eventually realized they were wasting their time in Sydney.

Very True.
Not true.

I know one year was 66,000.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2263935)   #46
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the first two.

The crowds were good, but not 66,000 people. The Muscle Car Masters & Tasman Revival attracted far more people.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2263980)   #47
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I went to the first two.

The crowds were good, but not 66,000 people. The Muscle Car Masters & Tasman Revival attracted far more people.
That's what the ARDC had listed for one of the weekends can't remember which.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2264038)   #48
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Not true.

I know one year was 66,000.
No that was fantasy
Old 5 Aug 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2264040)   #49
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
ARDC official, who was. I went to the A1GP event second one and it was very poorly supported.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 5 Aug 2008 at 20:13.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2264193)   #50
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robert, what is your problem with international motorsport events coming to Australia?

You realise they are not competition for V8Supercars, don't you?

Also, V8s can't get a crowd to Eastern Creek - let alone a completely strange series like A1GP. Makes the NSW governments talks about F1 at Eastern Creek sound more ridiculous.