Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2308994)   #26
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
Seven news just reported that GM shares dropped 30% and many in the US are questioning whether they can survive. Where does that leave holden if the parent company goes under? And where does that leave Supercars?
No surprise there. Holden will continue in Oz under the ownership of Toyota, IMHO.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2309026)   #27
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
No surprise there. Holden will continue in Oz under the ownership of Toyota, IMHO.
That would be very surprising, I can see no good reason for thinking that. Where did that piece of lateral thinking come from? Every car manufacturer that has closed down has done just that, closed down. Sorry, AMI as a CKD operation sort of morphed into Toyota.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2309030)   #28
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're both down the toilet.. but I'm still wondering what the share price has to do with their viability? Perhaps bluesport can clarify the point given he raised the topic?

No car company is worse off in Australia than Ford. Let's not forget that before we start questioning the future of the US corporations!
Old 11 Oct 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2309105)   #29
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
I dont think it's panic stations yet...

Holden, I THINK (going back quite a few years from when I studied this in Business Studies) is a sub company of GM. Yes, thats a worry... But, GM is a sub company of General Corporation, as is General Electric and General Defence Industries.

GenCorp is not about to let it's motors branch fall down... Where Holden fits into this equation is of course a worry, and I hope for the people employed by Holden that it remains profitable (even if it's through Exports.. which inevitably will slow down for a while), but GM will not fall as most people assume.

Ford is a larger concern, as I beleive it has no parent company (I could be wrong).

Asian motor companies will also probably suffer less, however with the Asian economies remaining strong it may mean that locally their imported vehicles become a tad pricier.

Overall, interesting times ahead, but I dont think it's panic stations yet.
GM is the parent company of many subsidiaries such as Holden but isn't related to GE or any other larger companies that could bail them out. GM sold GM defense to General Dynamics (another unrelated General) about 5 years ago.

Either way I'm sure Holden & Ford will still exist in some form or another for a long time to come but that's not to say that things will stay as they are.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2309135)   #30
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
I'd heard there was a suggestion to put two large, struggling, national companies together to form a useful combine.
General Motors and Alitalia will combine to form a new company called Genetalia!
Thank you and Goodnight!
As a comedian you suck, but as an auto industry analyst you may have a future.

Quote:
General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC have held preliminary talks about a merger or an acquisition of Chrysler by GM, according to published reports late Friday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27125864/