Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 5 Nov 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2329053)   #26
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
i did work it out at under £400 but due to what people have said i am thinking that my head is worth more than £100. Realy how much better is a £300 helmet compared to a cheap one. overalls i cant see why i need to spend loads on because my car is just as likely to burst into flames when on the road. Boots dont know how badly needed till start and same with gloves.
Helmet: £90
overalls: £110
Small modifications, strut etc. : £10
club membership and reistration: £30
First sprint: £70
Thats better
What about the MSA licence?
Old 5 Nov 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2329062)   #27
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Claypole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wetfieldbend,
I managed to get my helmet from Demon Tweeks, It is a Bell, a good make, meets all the safety requirements, was in the clearance section, reduced from 300 to 115 or so, 115 quid helmet, 300 quid head. Keep an eye out for those bargains.
There is a school of thought that your car is less likely to burst into flames on the road, because it won't be under the same stresses as on the track.
I know I am a thousand times more aggressive in sprint mode. Probably less effective as a result, but even I can feel my car getting tired on it's fourth outing of the day. So maybe you should spend your hard earned on decent overalls. I know very Few sprinters turn up without full nomex outfits.
Personal choice.
Claypole
Old 5 Nov 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2329095)   #28
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperbottom
What about the MSA licence?
thats another £36 but isnt it free if you apply before 16th birthday??
Old 6 Nov 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2329350)   #29
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Just a couple of points:

1) Proban overalls are out from 1st January 2009 as are some of the FIA suits - it is dependant on the date purchased.
2) Gloves will become compulsory for all open cars - I think this is coming in for 2010. Not so sure about boots as so many on the market are not flamer retardent.
3) HANS Devices will be recommended for single seaters & sports libre.
4) When buying a NEW Helmet always buy the best you can afford and always ensure it has the maximum possible life. Some of the cheap offers only have a limited use - maybe 1 to 2 years. Try to buy a British Standard helmet rather than a Snell as the BS ones have a longer life.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2329616)   #30
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauxypower
Yea claypole is totaly right with helmet and point of protection. I took this approach when i odered my helmet. And the question that i was asked was how much was my head worth?. ok so like i'm not saying go for the best you can get like a £1000 pound carbon fibre helmet but some thing realistic I went on tha budget of £320 no more as I dont require a helmet any higher in the standard and any higher in price can I just add that at christmas there will be discounts on most helmets. so the higest standered for under £300 sounds good lol. And on to your points of protection aka ankles,wrists and most important your neck. I would definatly suggest a balaclava mabe a pair of gloves. but that high pressure line sounds nasty. (Claypole im taking it that the driver was ok then?.) yea and mabe racing boots. if your going to be sat in a mini then I would suggest a better set of overalls upto £250 say. I only really need proban as 9 times out of 10 i would be out of the car before it set on fire. But not having a roof over my head help lol.

RIchard
. I only really need proban as 9 times out of 10 i would be out of the car before it set on fire.
This is assuming that you are still conscious and arms and legs are still working.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2329623)   #31
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
1) Proban overalls are out
what do you need then?
Old 6 Nov 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2329642)   #32
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
4) When buying a NEW Helmet always buy the best you can afford and always ensure it has the maximum possible life. Some of the cheap offers only have a limited use - maybe 1 to 2 years. Try to buy a British Standard helmet rather than a Snell as the BS ones have a longer life.
What are the British brands?

I'm about to buy one for track day but I think I'll leave the overalls and stuff until later, although I am keen to do a hillclimb at some stage.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2329648)   #33
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
What are the British brands?

I'm about to buy one for track day but I think I'll leave the overalls and stuff until later, although I am keen to do a hillclimb at some stage.
If you look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue it tells you the standards. Some helmets are Snell others BS - choose a BS helmet as they have a longer life.

As for what overalls you will need again look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue as te vast majority of their stuff is FIA approved.

Old 6 Nov 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2329709)   #34
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Claypole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,
just check that it is an FIA approved overall. Should be fine then.
Claypole
Old 6 Nov 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2329738)   #35
zac510
Veteran

Nah I meant which are the locally made companies, thought I oughta buy locally this financial year..
Old 7 Nov 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2330140)   #36
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
vauxypower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dw worry guys update the MSAhas said that .The overall regulations for sprints & hillclimbs are not changing for 2009. Therefore the list in C(c)-81 remains valid. From next year competitors are strongly advised to wear flame-resistant gloves (not mitts or gloves with open backs), this will become mandatory as of 1.1.2010. Suitable and flame-resistant footwear is also strongly recommended and plastic shoes (such as trainers) should be avoided .
so dont worry about next years kit.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2330157)   #37
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
so proban's in thanks god as I have just bought some for next year ha lol pheww
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2338502)   #38
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I'm a newbie looking to get into sprinting. Wondering if anyone might have suggestions for clubs to start up in. I live in Germany and after some investigation and lots of help from others in the forum I can't seem to find much comparable to UK sprinting, so I'll happily jump across the Channel. If there are any UK clubs (still open to any suggestions in Europe of course) that are east-ish of London (easiest to get to for me by ferry) then I'm interested. I'm particularly interested if they are "classic/historic" friendly...meaning not full of insane boy racers or loads of tuned modern Porsches and the like looking down the nose at the guy turning up in a stock 60's roadcar. I look forward to your replies.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2338535)   #39
Copperbottom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove
Hello, I'm a newbie looking to get into sprinting. Wondering if anyone might have suggestions for clubs to start up in. I live in Germany and after some investigation and lots of help from others in the forum I can't seem to find much comparable to UK sprinting, so I'll happily jump across the Channel. If there are any UK clubs (still open to any suggestions in Europe of course) that are east-ish of London (easiest to get to for me by ferry) then I'm interested. I'm particularly interested if they are "classic/historic" friendly...meaning not full of insane boy racers or loads of tuned modern Porsches and the like looking down the nose at the guy turning up in a stock 60's roadcar. I look forward to your replies.
Look here: www.twmc.org.uk/allcircuit/index.html. They run a championship based in the southeast with most of the sprints at Lydden hill which is very handy for the tunnel/dover and Folkestone ferries.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2338554)   #40
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Thanks Copperbottom, that seems to be up my alley, I'll look into that closer.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2339077)   #41
Copperbottom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove
Thanks Copperbottom, that seems to be up my alley, I'll look into that closer.
The championship is generally very well run,the Goodwood events are great.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2339590)   #42
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've joined this thread late, but everyone interested should give hillclimbing a decent go. There's a balance to be struck when forking out for safety kit - don't forget that all MSA approved standards pass rigorous testing. Also, these events only involve you - you risk whatever you want to do..

I've only managed a few events spread over the last few years and have been pathetic at most - but it's fantastic fun.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2340204)   #43
westfieldbend
Veteran

yes, thats what i thougth originally, if its made to BS(whatever) standard then it must be safe and effective for use, having a look through the 2009 demon tweeks catologue i think the most basic FIA race suit - Sparco spint - i think and a full face helmet will be ample, maybe gloves and boots at a later date. First things first i need a car that works

like you i only plan to do a couple of sprints a year at the most, then maybe try some PCT's, autotests etc.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2340223)   #44
zac510
Veteran

I just bought a Bell Sport 4. Kinda wishing I'd got the model up above that but I'm sure it'll all be fine.
Hope to do a hillclimb next year.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2340236)   #45
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
having a look through the 2009 demon tweeks catologue i think the most basic FIA race suit - Sparco spint
Earlier this year I ordered a very basic proban suit (glad to hear that it's still good for 2009- can someone verify that as there are some conflicting posts?) from a company called AWS in Kent. They were VERY helpful, have a wide selection of layers and choices of either Nomex or Proban, many color combos if you care, and can even be ordered made to measure for about £40 extra. They have a 3 layer FIA Nomex suit for actually a little less than the Sparco. Be aware that the Sparco sprint is 2 layer, only the outer being Nomex. Added bonus of the "smaller" companies is that if you need repairs they can do it for you properly.

Last edited by smokystove; 23 Nov 2008 at 16:46.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2340243)   #46
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Not trying to promote them by the way, I've no affiliation. I just thought they were personable and helpful, in my case also being a first time buyer and having a million questions.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2340259)   #47
westfieldbend
Veteran

i think aws are just down the road from me, may have to go and have a look
Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:08 (Ref:2341198)   #48
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having bought marshalling gear from AWS, I would also recommend.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2341462)   #49
westfieldbend
Veteran

good, althougth there range of helmets is a little small (at least on there website it is) But gloves, boots and overalls are much cheaper (and better too)
Old 27 Nov 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2342666)   #50
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi there smoky stove Yes probane is in!!.
And I am getting a race suit from AWS for me they just seam to be that bit more involved with the customer. And there prices seam pretty reasonable. :P