Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Should the main game drivers stay in their regular cars in the enduros??
Yes 37 52.86%
No 27 38.57%
Dont Care 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Dec 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2597603)   #26
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many cars with a chance of winning Bathurst to people need?

It's all about "buying a ticket to the last 30 laps" and when the inevitable SafEntertainmenTy Car comes out with about 15 laps to go anyone who's still on the lead lap is in with a shot.

Look at the race this year, Murphy came from about 10th to 4th after the final Safety Car and if he had a few more laps he would probably have go onto the podium.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Dec 2009, 00:57 (Ref:2597607)   #27
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Out of curiosity has splitting pairings in the recent few years meant 2 cars from the one team doing any better. I’m thinking HRT & SBR from a few years ago for example.
HRT fielded 2 competitive cars in 2001 & 02 with split drivers, but the co-drivers were Tony Longhurst, Tomas Mezera & Jim Richards, the former 2 racing in the series full time for smaller teams and the latter being competitive in anything. Even so HRT's debrief of the 2002 race came up with Jim as their weakest link and they have since always paired their main drivers.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2597622)   #28
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
He's referring to this bit in the link:

"WHile the rule has been passed, there is talk in the V8 community that the new rule may allow regular championship drivers to pair up in the team’s lead car if only one driver is eligible to score points at the endurance events."
This makes the rule even more stupid (if that is possible).Under this provision only the really strong teams with 2 drivers capable of winning the Championship (i.e. HRT and 888)will not pair their regular drivers.So real excellence is penalised.Those of us who hold Bathurst above the rest of V8 Supercar racing would want to see the race as one where the absolute best teams and drivers in the country mount that podium.This artificial contrivance is working to ensure this won't happen.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2597632)   #29
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Cam McConvilles stocks just went through the roof !!!!!!!!
And he'll be able to do his own tire changes too!

I'm in two minds about this decision, on one hand it opens the field up and places more pressure on the co driver but on the other hand its great having a team's regular two drivers in the lead car, its worked so far so why change now?
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2597639)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Todd Kelly's view

Funny these guys are whinging, I mean the 2nd JDR car was the car Jack Perkins ran earlier in the year, while one of the 2 '09 chassis was rested

Perhaps now teams like these, and FPR and others, will bring their 'A' equipment to the endurance events?
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:30 (Ref:2597643)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Article in the Herald Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Kelly said it could even force him to enter a car in the V8 Supercar development series, or use his team's fourth car as a part-time training ground for endurance co-drivers.

"If anyone thinks that's a good idea they've got serious dramas. It's so frustrating," he said. "If Rick and I both want to have a crack at winning we have to fork out $150,000 each for drivers capable of doing the job. And, to be honest, they don't exist."
Success! The development series gains a car!

Quite where a codriver would earn $150,000 for 2 events is interesting! I am sure Mr Seton, Mr McConville, Mr Besnard, Mr Ritter and just about anyone with the right driving licence would be at Kelly Racing in a flash!

Mr Bright could stop driving all season and just show up at the enduros for the same amount of cash as his reported regular deal

Where do they get this stuff from??
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2597655)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Confirmed at VESA

Quote:
But V8 Board member and Ford Performance Racing Team Principal, Tim Edwards, said the rule change was about making the endurance races better for fans.

“If there’s eight cars with 16 top drivers you’ve got eight top drivers sitting in the garage at the end of the race and I think anyone would agree it would be good to have 16 good drivers racing at the end rather than eight,” he said.

“From the feedback we have had from the press and the public they believe it is best for the sport.

“It’s good for the sport, (though) not necessarily good for all the teams,” he added.

“Of course I would like to put Richo (Steve Richards) and Frosty (Mark Winterbottom) together, but you can’t always think about your own team; sometimes you have to put the sport first and that’s obviously what the majority of the teams thought.

“We knew it would be a contentious decision which is why all of the teams were asked and the majority said it would be good that drivers stay in their own cars.”
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:51 (Ref:2597657)   #33
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
“If there’s eight cars with 16 top drivers you’ve got eight top drivers sitting in the garage at the end of the race and I think anyone would agree it would be good to have 16 good drivers racing at the end rather than eight,” he said

This is why i like the idea.

I guess Todd's comments also show how much they really care about the other entries within the team. If you can't afford to run 4 cars properly for the full season, then cull one for so you can afford the extra drivers endurance time
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:16 (Ref:2597664)   #34
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Aaron Noonan, for all the same reasons. This is a bad decision.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:21 (Ref:2597666)   #35
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea but the race is on a crap time of year, too many international stars are booked elsewhere for the event.

NASCAR will conflict no doubts, which leaves blokes that are used to 300hp FWD cars, where i can see Todd's point, say the event was later in the year, opening the door to high profile overseas NASCAR, ALMS, Ect..

And of course the international flavours would bring in more interest ($) from new sponsors, not to mention the new found US TV audience..
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2597668)   #36
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Counting Development series/former V8 drivers/NZV8 drivers/top formula ford & 3 drivers/top WTCC & BTCC drivers there are more than enough competent drivers to fill the grid.

It should work great. Webb or Besnard winning the 1000 seems a very realistic possibility, and it would be fantastic.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2597671)   #37
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Counting Development series/former V8 drivers/NZV8 drivers/top formula ford & 3 drivers/top WTCC & BTCC drivers there are more than enough competent drivers to fill the grid.

It should work great. Webb or Besnard winning the 1000 seems a very realistic possibility, and it would be fantastic.
There is filling the grid and then there are filling the grid with drivers that will attract a crowd.

I havn't been to bathurst yet, and at this stage don't intend to, yet if it was announced that an international star like JPM or Ambrose was racing i'd be more inclined to make the effort, rather than go watch the same blokes as every other round + some have beens and never beens..

Must say im a bit more interisted already with Brabham potentially coming back, hopefully with one of the two outfits he has raced for over here recently.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:57 (Ref:2597685)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glenn Seton and John Bowe fans should be ecstatic over this.

Young Fujitsu drivers without main team alignment should be quite dirty.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 04:22 (Ref:2597695)   #39
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams shouldn't be told who can and can't drive what cars.

You don't see silly rules like this at the Spa or Daytona 24hrs, both of which count for their respective championships.

Its just further reduces Bathurst to 'just another championship round' status unfortunatly
Old 11 Dec 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2597715)   #40
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hate it.

Bathurst should be about the absolute best combinations trying to tame the mountain... NOT who can limit their second driver's time in the car the most successfully...

Stupid stupid idea.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 05:39 (Ref:2597718)   #41
wjk98
Rookie

Australia
In the garage working on the racecar.
wjk98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a great idea.
If Bathurst is part of the championship then you need the regular drivers driving their own cars.
This may also make VESA put some more effort into the Fujitsu series.
Although at the end of the day we had the same number of drivers at bathurst this year as we will need next year so the drivers are around they will just be paired up differently.
Thanks
Warren
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2597746)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Tander's View

And again...

Funny how there is little reporting of those teams or drivers who are in support of the move...

Since HRT is the powerhouse it is, wouldnt the naturally gifted pilots for the 2nd car automatically gravitate to them anyway, and take a lesser pay rate for the gift of driving a race contender??
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2597750)   #43
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How few laps can one driver do in the race? Get a safe slow plonker in for lunch time, with a nice big double stint to the finish with your flyer.

Still, the rules sucks, but I feel good for Craig Baird.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2597753)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
How many times have you watched the endurance races with someone who says car x has Jamie Whincup at the wheel, when it doesnt... or Will Davison... or Mark Winterbottom..

Why confuse the fans??

This way, the drivers keep their posteriors in 'their' cars all season... and the fans know at every event that in #3, Tony D'Alberto is aboard, in #22 Will Davison is aboard.. and so on...

Phillip Island and Bathurst will likely need additional practice sessions for codrivers in this scenario however... to bring the codrivers up to the ultimate pace
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2597760)   #45
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why confuse the fans??

This way, the drivers keep their posteriors in 'their' cars all season...
That's a good point too. Even some of us more regular fans can get confused!

I'd like a dollar for every time I thought Mark Winterbottom has had an incident in an endurance race, only to remember it's just the second FPR car (just there to make up the numbers).
Old 11 Dec 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2597762)   #46
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
This will largely destroy the essence of what makes Bathurst "The Great Race".
For decades Bathurst was all about non-regular co-drivers. It’s only in relatively recent times that regular championship drivers have teamed up together.

So the decision is more a case of the essence of Bathurst being returned.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2597766)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Its Done! Drivers to stay in their own cars in the enduros!

To Split or Not to Split... that is the question
Old 11 Dec 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2597777)   #48
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
“If there’s eight cars with 16 top drivers you’ve got eight top drivers sitting in the garage at the end of the race and I think anyone would agree it would be good to have 16 good drivers racing at the end rather than eight,” he said.
If this is the case where are these 16 top drivers at the end of every other race in the championship. It's nearly always the same handful that take away every race.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2597779)   #49
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
If this is the case where are these 16 top drivers at the end of every other race in the championship. It's nearly always the same handful that take away every race.
Well if I remember correctly, Garth Tander was in the car at the end of Bathurst this year, and Will Davison was sitting down in a garage twiddling his thumbs.

This is the type of thing that the new arrangement will avoid.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2597812)   #50
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote from the Linky:

He said the decision was an insult to the tradition and history of Bathurst.

"One of the traditional aspects of Bathurst is it's a two-driver race," Tander said.

Only since 1973 Garth !