Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Apr 2010, 03:38 (Ref:2665222)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure she would have done just as good a job, if not better, if she were almost in her birthday suit.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2671000)   #27
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Road America Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
And that's why they're here. But the point RAF is making (I think) is that in golf you can show your lineup in a more efficient way, by having the competitors wear them. The target market is far more important, though.
Thanks Jimmy, that's what I was trying to say. But I'm not very good at getting my point across clearly most of the time.

But to add to what I said, here in the states (at least for everyone I know) IZOD is sort of an "uppity" brand of clothing for prep school kids as well as the casual business man. Race fans like to wear t-shirts and shorts, not beige khaki pants and pink polo shirts.

You are more likely to see golf fans wearing IZOD stuff than your average racefan.

But IZOD is trying to become more appealing to the racefans. We will see if it works or not later this year.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2673088)   #28
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I had Versus tuned in for the first game of the National Hockey League playoffs, and here's the commercials. A decent 60 second highlights package from the Barber IndyCar race which included a tease for this weekend's event at Long Beach. Not bad.

Followed one of Izod's "Race to the Party" spots, which bl0w in my opinion.

OK, good idea to pique the interest of some sports fans. They probably did the same thing last year.

I think hockey is about the closest thing to a major professional sport that Versus holds a contract for, so it's probably one of their more valued properties.

Then I look on Sports Business Journal, and the Versus ratings for the hockey broadcasts are down 6% from last year.

That tells me that Versus isn't growing, the audience seeing the commercials for the race and the sponsor isn't growing, and the audience for the IndyCar broadcasts on Versus aren't likely to be growing either.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2673139)   #29
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, over here in Germany, the IZOD IndyCar Series is not screened on TV at all anymore this year. That's sad since there exists even a tri-oval over here (Lausitzring) from back in the days of CART. It would be great if they could bring back this race. But IZOD probably would not be interested since they don't sell their clothes over here either.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2673328)   #30
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It's not about them racing cars, it's about sponsors resonating with the 18-34 year old that watches and enjoys racing. Sadly I will only be part of that demographic for a few more months.
Race fans are extremely loyal to brands that sponsor motorsports according to multiple studies over the past 10-15 years.
I'm in the middle of that demographic, and there are very few people I know who are into motor racing... many are into golf though, and watch it on TV. Golf has grown hugely over the past 15 years and is a mainstream sport (unlike racing)... I'm not even sure you can compare the two because golf is so much bigger.

In most cases, there is little financial return for motorsports sponsors, and they usually are involved because there is a connection between the company and the team/driver, or the sponsor just likes racing. Perhaps in iZod's case they feel they'll reach a certain demographic - or perhaps they want to use Indycar to market their products... I am not seeing them have success on either of those fronts though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2673411)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm in the middle of that demographic, and there are very few people I know who are into motor racing... many are into golf though, and watch it on TV. Golf has grown hugely over the past 15 years and is a mainstream sport (unlike racing)... I'm not even sure you can compare the two because golf is so much bigger.

In most cases, there is little financial return for motorsports sponsors, and they usually are involved because there is a connection between the company and the team/driver, or the sponsor just likes racing. Perhaps in iZod's case they feel they'll reach a certain demographic - or perhaps they want to use Indycar to market their products... I am not seeing them have success on either of those fronts though.
Well golf has an appeal to people cause most people can afford to go out and buy a set of sticks and start replicating Tiger that afternoon.

Motor racing is a whole different ballgame and most 18-35 years olds are not going to be able to pay $350,000 for a season in Star Mazda out of their pocket.

There are a lot of sponsors that have done quite well with motorsports sponsorships but many can underestimate the creativity involved and the amount of work involved to make them successful.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 02:54 (Ref:2673429)   #32
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently, replicating many of Tiger's afternoon activities requires only one stick.

Keeping the sponsors is another story.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2673529)   #33
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Apparently, replicating many of Tiger's afternoon activities requires only one stick.
[/IMG]

who knows? Some afternoon woods could usefully join the morning one ...
Old 16 Apr 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2673570)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't someone say golf ruined a good walk?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2673708)   #35
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not trying to be a snob or anything, but y'all know Izod and Lacoste are no longer the same company right? Lacoste is the higher end (well, more expensive anyway) of the two.

I think Izod are doing as best as they can with the product (Indycar) at hand. I have a group of motorsport fanatics I am friends with and I called every one of them last week trying to find someone to go with me to Barber (1.5 hour drive). Not a single taker. That speaks volumes to me... I don't know what Izod can do.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2673747)   #36
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't afford Motorsports so I watch it, being heavily exposed to the advertising, I can afford Golf, and rarely watch it. I don't any guys my age who actually watch Golf on TV in fact, although a large number do watch motorsports
Old 17 Apr 2010, 04:47 (Ref:2674031)   #37
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Blogging bloggers beware...

Rather than boring people unnecessarily, and in hopes of finding a forum I won't get thrown off of, I decided to start a blog.

Whether it stays or goes is up to those who read it. If you'd like to see less of me here, maybe voting to keep my blog is a good way to do it?

You can vote on the blog, and feel free to leave any comments you wish:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...st_published=1
Old 17 Apr 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2674180)   #38
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Rather than boring people unnecessarily, and in hopes of finding a forum I won't get thrown off of, I decided to start a blog.

Whether it stays or goes is up to those who read it. If you'd like to see less of me here, maybe voting to keep my blog is a good way to do it?

Nice blog Jag. I've given this some thought lately, and your article just reinforced what I've been thinking.

The problem is so obvious- Indy Car has a very small hard core fan base. NASCAR has a much, much larger hard core fan base. Indy Car's fan base is still split into two factions (and both are for the most part disgruntled).

So I think whatever Indy Car decides to do, whether it's a new car, engine, or tricks to jazz up race weekends will not matter one bit until Indy Car acknowledges that it's fan base is fractured and does something about it.

JMHO.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2674222)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

I voted to kill your blog. Of course I didn't; good stuff. I don' expect you'll be kicked off, or will be leaving this forum in a hurry.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2674374)   #40
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Big thanks to you, mz2k and bjohnson.

The poll was running 20 to 1 to kill it, so I did....at least that article.
I'm hoping that was 20 people who were embarrased by it, including the boys in the shop who either didn't answer my email or said they couldn't do anything to change the TV schedule. Just votes, no comments.

I think these people live in their own little self-congratulatory world. It's a sense I got from some of the things Mountainstar has written in the past, and I first got a taste of it myself at the Mid-Ohio race in 1998.

A lot of these people act like they are royalty who is blessing the masses with their presence. They're too busy feeling good about themselves to look around and see how small their kingdom has become.

Here's the next entry, sans poll:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-yet-tradition
Old 17 Apr 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2674409)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Big thanks to you, mz2k and bjohnson.

The poll was running 20 to 1 to kill it, so I did....at least that article.
I'm hoping that was 20 people who were embarrased by it, including the boys in the shop who either didn't answer my email or said they couldn't do anything to change the TV schedule. Just votes, no comments.

I think these people live in their own little self-congratulatory world. It's a sense I got from some of the things Mountainstar has written in the past, and I first got a taste of it myself at the Mid-Ohio race in 1998.

A lot of these people act like they are royalty who is blessing the masses with their presence. They're too busy feeling good about themselves to look around and see how small their kingdom has become.

Here's the next entry, sans poll:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-yet-tradition
About 8 years ago when I first started with forums online, I always had an interest in writing and also a lot of interests in various motor sports and it was a good fit. An anonymous place where I could debate or discuss various topics with other anonymous people, almost like a journal or diary except with other people and their feedback.

I write when I feel compelled to write and I have never feared or shied from any debate. It's too funny when people get personally offended over a debate online. Even when I have been personally threatened at different times, I've never withdrawn my right to speak.

So I say blog if you want to blog, be a part of the forum if you want to and don't worry about it. If people read it, fine, if not fine, cause to me that's not why you write, at least that doesn't motivate me. If people like what you write here or there, great, if not then they can debate back.

I don't see the problem.

I'm going to be starting my own blog soon, but I have to say American open wheel racing will be a very small part of that as for me as the days and years pass that fades further in the rear view mirror for me. My blog will be self owned and will have a certain theme I don't really see catered to by the current motorsports and car publications.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2674446)   #42
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Hey Star,

Thanks for your insight, and please be sure to post the link to your blog here when you begin so we can all read more of it.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2678788)   #43
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Here's a little idea for Izod, ignore it if you wish...they certainly did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...censed-to-blog
Old 27 Apr 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2680351)   #44
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
IICS BIG new idea

From Curt Cavin:

"IndyCar officials confirmed Monday that the top performers on the two types of tracks -- ovals and road/street circuits -- will be honored. The drivers scoring the most points in each category, regardless of where they finish in the overall standings, will receive a trophy named for a former champion and a cash bonus (amount to be announced later)."

The only way that makes news if Will Power sets the road course cup down on stage at the presentation and takes a whiz in it.

If you're of the mind, here's promotional idea #8 in the series:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...one-viral-seat
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2680363)   #45
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From Curt Cavin:

"IndyCar officials confirmed Monday that the top performers on the two types of tracks -- ovals and road/street circuits -- will be honored. The drivers scoring the most points in each category, regardless of where they finish in the overall standings, will receive a trophy named for a former champion and a cash bonus (amount to be announced later)."

.....[/URL]
LOL .... that sets the way to driver substitutes whatever type of circuit is currently ran. Hmmmm Hunter-Reay ain't good at the oval , let's replace him with Danica so we have a better chance there in the oval cup.
I hope someone got the sarcasm in it and that the names don't do matter. So please don't feel offended if I picked just the name of your driver. I thought it was better to give it names than using xyz and zyx
Old 27 Apr 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2680401)   #46
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
From Curt Cavin:

Maybe someone has finally figured out that there are road racing fans and there are oval fans. But there are very few "full time" fans.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2680489)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
From Curt Cavin:

Sounds a bit gimmicky to me.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2682315)   #48
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Back to the beginning of the thread:

Here is an article from today, which is a good summary of Izod's involvement and intentions:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/29...have-izod.html
Old 1 May 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2682491)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Back to the beginning of the thread:

Here is an article from today, which is a good summary of Izod's involvement and intentions:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/29...have-izod.html
Reading that article ties in with their website, so they obviously have a clear marketing strategy and as it is a 10 year contract, they better start banging a few heads and tell the IRL to pull their fingers out.
Old 1 May 2010, 01:39 (Ref:2682493)   #50
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
I hope you're right. If Hunter-Reay doesn't pull magic at Indy, and then loses his seat, it's a struggle to see where the money they shelled out for him does a lot of good.