Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

View Poll Results: I would like the main commentator to be...
James Allen 1 1.20%
Martin Brundle (with a new pundit) 14 16.87%
Charlie Cox 2 2.41%
David Croft 13 15.66%
Ben Edwards 30 36.14%
Louise Goodman 1 1.20%
Martin Haven 8 9.64%
John Hindhaugh 5 6.02%
Ted Kravitz 1 1.20%
Toby Moody 4 4.82%
Jonathon Shaw 0 0%
David Tuckman 0 0%
Another specific commentator... 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Sep 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2760640)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
I quite like what superleague have done this year.
Don't have a fixed team - each race a guest cocommentator alongside brundle, if they are rubbish then it's just for 1 race, if they turn out to be great then sign them up full time for 2012 (think of it as live auditions)
Brundle? I haven't been watching but think you mean Edwards.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2760647)   #27
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm not sure Brundle could perform the role of main commentator. He is excellent in his current role but that doesn't necessarily mean he could step across. It isn't as simple as that.
I think he's demonstrated he can, as at times he steps into that role anyway. I also don't think the roles should have to be so clearly defined. The old model of the main commentator and 'expert' is too rigid.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2760834)   #28
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Ben E but wouldn't mind Crofty being given a shot at it either.

I think one of the main things both these guys have over Legard and Allen is the actual timbre of their voices as well as their delivery.

Legard & Allen both have fairly low-pitched voices which although being something they can't fix I personally don't think it's suited to the main commentators role in motorsport - and frankly the way they both drone on just helps in sending me to sleep on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2760837)   #29
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I think he's demonstrated he can, as at times he steps into that role anyway. I also don't think the roles should have to be so clearly defined. The old model of the main commentator and 'expert' is too rigid.
I think the old model works fine. I can't imagine Brundle doing the main commentary any more than I can imagine Andy Gray being the main commentator on the football.

Different roles, different skills.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2760866)   #30
calloforion
Rookie

England
London
calloforion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheres the Carlton Kirby option?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2760885)   #31
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by calloforion View Post
Wheres the Carlton Kirby option?
Wonder why that isn't there...
Old 17 Sep 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2760903)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Is Legard definitely leaving then? Can't say I object to him too much.
Nah it's certainly not definite.

Selby
Old 19 Sep 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2761628)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I agree Martin is the best expert or 'colour' commentator but there has to be a main commentator and that's where someone has to come in to replace Legard and for me that person is Ben Edwards.

In that case I'll pick Hindhaugh, in the knowledge that he'd never want the gig anyway - and I do believe that!......
Old 19 Sep 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2761674)   #34
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've only just noticed, but it's kind of funny to see that the person who is supposedly favourite for the job (if JL doesn't continue) isn't even featured on the poll.

Poor Leigh Diffey...
Old 20 Sep 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2761953)   #35
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
In that case I'll pick Hindhaugh, in the knowledge that he'd never want the gig anyway - and I do believe that!......
If Brundle has the power he seems to have, I think he would veto that idea. I'm getting the feeling that it will be Croft, even though he's not he best man for the job in my opinion.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2763230)   #36
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray Walker :P

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 22 Sep 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2763265)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_davidson2 View Post
Legard & Allen both have fairly low-pitched voices which although being something they can't fix I personally don't think it's suited to the main commentators role in motorsport
I think both Ian Titchmarsh and Brian Jones would disagree on that point.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2763277)   #38
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with F1 commentary is that TV producers seem to be obsessed the policy of having 1 x experienced pundit (usually an ex-driver) and 1 x presenter type pundit (usually with a long CV of various media/journalism work). Currently this is in the form of Brundle and Legard. This is probably because they think you'll then always cater for both the lay-person AND the more knowledgeable viewers.

The problem with this formula is it's tired and INTENSLY boring. Inevitably, the driver pundit is much more interesting to EVERYONE than the dull, characterless presenter-bloke (whoever that is at any point in time), and the relationship (and therefore the quality of the conversation) is basically doomed as they have nothing whatsoever in common.

When you break this mould, great things happen - Look at Charlie Cox and Steve Parrish, the immensely popular Moto GP commentary team. Both are ex-racers and both genuinely passionate about the sport itself, not just 'being on the telly'. The insight, interesting conversation, banter and sheer entertainment comes effortlessly because that's what happens when you put essentially like-minded, and passionate people in front of a microphone.

It's so obvious it's painful.

...and that's why I voted for Charlie. Cos he's the only bod there who would fulfill this criteria.

Alternatively, shove Legard back onto the radio (where he so clearly belongs) and stick David Coulthard on with Martin. Now that would be entertaining!
Old 23 Sep 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2763368)   #39
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Watson?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2763410)   #40
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75 View Post

When you break this mould, great things happen - Look at Charlie Cox and Steve Parrish, the immensely popular Moto GP commentary team. Both are ex-racers and both genuinely passionate about the sport itself, not just 'being on the telly'. The insight, interesting conversation, banter and sheer entertainment comes effortlessly because that's what happens when you put essentially like-minded, and passionate people in front of a microphone.
Really??!

Selby
Old 23 Sep 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2763431)   #41
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Really??!

Selby
Ok, I agree that whether that popularity is 'immense' is arguable, but they're certainly very well regarded.

..just not by you... or are you just nit-picking?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2763844)   #42
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with austin. The networks seem obsessed with their model, but I reckon the commentary is heaps better if you get rid of the media types and put a couple of ex-racers on the mics.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:16 (Ref:2763846)   #43
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard John Neil - enthusiastic and knowledgeable
Old 25 Sep 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2764505)   #44
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I agree with austin. The networks seem obsessed with their model, but I reckon the commentary is heaps better if you get rid of the media types and put a couple of ex-racers on the mics.
Ben Edwards is an ex-race and a media type. QED.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2764529)   #45
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i normally listen to crofty on the red button/5 live commentary on FP 1,2 & 3.
after watching quali 1 & 2 today, i selected audio on the red button n was listening to crofty & davidson, crofty just gave it an edge of excitement to the whole thing
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2764966)   #46
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've punted for Brundle, he has a great wealth of experience and knowledge.

The main thing is to just get rid of Legard with his "Here comes [Insert any drivers name], let's see what he can do"

It drives me insane to listen to the Legard drivel
Old 27 Sep 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2765443)   #47
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen? Surely he has been in quarantine long enough..

Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2765529)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would say it's entirely possible that james allen was the one who voted for james allen
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2765643)   #49
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
James Allen? Surely he has been in quarantine long enough..

I rate James Allen as a journalist but not as a commentator, to have him back in the seat would be a disservice to JA, the BBC and the fans.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2765644)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Nice thought, but this is one of the polls where you can see who voted for whom and it doesn't stack up - unless he's a prodigious liar!