Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Apr 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3055220)   #26
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I still think 4 cars- 1 DJR rec, 1 Fiore rec & 2 PMM recs.

IIRC there is only 1 PMM Rec (#49) - Wasn't the other one sold to Tekno ?
Old 8 Apr 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3055226)   #27
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
IIRC there is only 1 PMM Rec (#49) - Wasn't the other one sold to Tekno ?
Thats what I had thought too, Webbs rich father had bought his little boy another one
Old 8 Apr 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3055230)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The #91 car is operating on a leased PMM REC.. supposedly Tekno has an option to purchase this REC at the end of this season. If they do so, then PMM has only one REC to play with...
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3055242)   #29
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
But if that's the case... how come in the 'Teams Championship' (on the 'official' website) - #19 & #91 are designated as a 2 car 'team' - but #12, #17, #18 & #49 are designated as 4 separate 'teams'?
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3055251)   #30
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Lack of interest/input thus far. Formal qualifications. Minimal personal sponsorships.

Kinda like DJ Ryan Walkinshaw up until his fathers death???
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3055256)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Kinda like DJ Ryan Walkinshaw up until his fathers death???
Who is now apparently educating himself in the UK in the art of engineering, amongst other things, with formal qualifications... skills gap identified.. and closed...
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3055259)   #32
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps its off topic but I think Ryan Walkinshaw is a classic case of "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover". He seems to be a bit of a chip off the old block.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3055269)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
But if that's the case... how come in the 'Teams Championship' (on the 'official' website) - #19 & #91 are designated as a 2 car 'team' - but #12, #17, #18 & #49 are designated as 4 separate 'teams'?
It is complicated... but the 4 DJR-run cars are run under RECs with different owners/legal entities attached.

The #17 REC supposedly runs under the Dick Johnson Racing operating entity, #18 runs apparently the under Chasports Racing REC, the #12 runs under the Triple F banner, while #49 is still attached to Nemo Racing (PMM)

So they are technically 4 separate owners... even if #18 is leased to DJR... they have different sponsorship on that car (Norton) so its a different 'team'... if that makes sense...
Old 8 Apr 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3055313)   #34
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who is now apparently educating himself in the UK in the art of engineering, amongst other things, with formal qualifications... skills gap identified.. and closed...
University educations and qualifications are EXTREMLY over rated
Old 8 Apr 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3055317)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
In some cases... not all...
Old 8 Apr 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3055557)   #36
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Unless you put A LOT of work into obtaining one from a good uni!!! Or are you suggesting I wasted my time getting either of the ones I have? You see I would not have the job I do without them!!!

I often find people who didn't have the wherewithal to bother completing one assume they are over rated!!

Last edited by Bugger All; 8 Apr 2012 at 22:46.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3055585)   #37
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
It is complicated... but the 4 DJR-run cars are run under RECs with different owners/legal entities attached.

The #17 REC supposedly runs under the Dick Johnson Racing operating entity, #18 runs apparently the under Chasports Racing REC, the #12 runs under the Triple F banner, while #49 is still attached to Nemo Racing (PMM)

So they are technically 4 separate owners... even if #18 is leased to DJR... they have different sponsorship on that car (Norton) so its a different 'team'... if that makes sense...

And isn't the (little) sponsorship, that the Tekno 'team' has, also different on the 2 cars

Also.... This 'official' Page shows:

#8 entered as 'Brad Jones Racing' and #14 entered as 'Lockwood Racing' - but combined in the teams Championship as 'Brad Jones Racing'... which I can see as being similar to #4 & #9 (SBR) having the same owner, but with different sponsors.

However, Im at a loss to understand:

#11 entered as Fair Dinkum Sheds Racing and #51 entered as Pepsi Max Crew - but combined in the Teams Championship as "Kelly Racing"

Especially as (IIRC) the Kellys are neither the owner, nor lessee of either of these RECs)

I'd just like to be able to understand the logic used and have it applied consistently over all "Teams".
Old 13 Apr 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3058144)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I cant link to it (while im at work) but Bigpond sport has made some Big calls on DJR.

worth a read if you can get access
Old 13 Apr 2012, 02:25 (Ref:3058146)   #39
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess this is what pecky is looking at:

http://www.bigpondsport.com/time-for...5/default.aspx

The final paragraph sums up the article:
Steven Johnson has been a part of the team since 2000 and despite a good showing in 2001 where he finished fifth in the championship, has never looked like a driver capable of winning a title. Any team manager worth his salt would make this one of his first recommendations after he sets foot in the garage. Unfortunately, the last time this was suggested it was the catalyst for the team's current malaise. Until Dick Johnson is ready to make the hardest decision of all and cut his son from the line-up, it is hard to see the team being anything more than an also-ran.

So he finished mid pack, in an ordinary year.
He is solid, good performer in the enduros and a a good old Aussie battler.
If SJ needs to go, so does everyone who finished mid pack or lower and has been in the sport for more than a couple of years.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3058148)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
I guess this is what pecky is looking at:

http://www.bigpondsport.com/time-for...5/default.aspx

The final paragraph sums up the article:
Steven Johnson has been a part of the team since 2000 and despite a good showing in 2001 where he finished fifth in the championship, has never looked like a driver capable of winning a title. Any team manager worth his salt would make this one of his first recommendations after he sets foot in the garage. Unfortunately, the last time this was suggested it was the catalyst for the team's current malaise. Until Dick Johnson is ready to make the hardest decision of all and cut his son from the line-up, it is hard to see the team being anything more than an also-ran.

So he finished mid pack, in an ordinary year.
He is solid, good performer in the enduros and a a good old Aussie battler.
If SJ needs to go, so does everyone who finished mid pack or lower and has been in the sport for more than a couple of years.
thanks blueblood

i think you are right though, so does everyone else who has been in the sport more than a couple (im prepared to say 5) especially if they havent really shown anything, they are just holding out the younger blokes who are keen
Old 13 Apr 2012, 03:07 (Ref:3058157)   #41
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not everyone else is the team owner's son though...
Old 13 Apr 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3058158)   #42
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been said that you don't get rid of your car, house or woman until you've found a better replacement.

That being said, while Steve Johnson hasn't exactly lived up to his early career potential, who does DJR have to replace him with? Fiore, Webb?? Not seeing either as a short term improvement, And of the top shelf drivers in the series, I wouldn't expect any of them to make themselves available to DJR over their current teams.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 03:31 (Ref:3058160)   #43
Mixer
Veteran

Sadly its a hard road from here to see DJR back as a front line team.

Its hard to see them hitting the ground running with COTF, which is arguably any team's best chance of breaking into the winners circle.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3063037)   #44
Driver TBA
Veteran

So Swetnam leaves and next round DJR have 3 cars qualify in top 10. Then top 6, 2nd Ford home in the race.

A 12 month rewind on setup data, or just a fluke that street circuits sometimes throw up???
Old 21 Apr 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3063283)   #45
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know Team Managers dont do set up or Engineering. They do logistics, rules and non technical stuff......
Old 21 Apr 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3063287)   #46
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And! Wasnt SJ on the front row last year....Progress?
Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3063325)   #47
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
As far as I know Team Managers dont do set up or Engineering. They do logistics, rules and non technical stuff......

Hey, I just asked the question is it a fluke or not?

No doubt as team manager he would have a big say in or be involved in the engineering direction the cars head in?
Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3063335)   #48
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
And! Wasnt SJ on the front row last year....Progress?
Hence why I asked if DJR rewound their setup data 12 months, around the same time Malcolm started?

Hey, I'm just speculating. I don't know Malcolm or anyone at DJR, but you have to admit to the casual observer it doesn't look good for Malcolm. He take up a prominent position in the team when the cars are still pretty quick (ie. front row starts), cars get slower and slower to the point where they are almost the slowest on the grid. Malcolm leaves and the team spring back to similar form of 12 months ago.
We are yet to see if they can back this speed up consistantly. I don't think they will personally. 888, FPR, HRT & SBR are way too quick.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3151140)   #49
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Just talking over Dinner here in the Emerald Isle and wondered how things were down under. Doesnt make pretty reading.... Maybe not all down to the English fellow after all?..... maybe he saw the writing on the wall or just maybe he really DID have to return home. Either way it would seem the performance or lack of was not down to him.....
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3151182)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Just talking over Dinner here in the Emerald Isle and wondered how things were down under. Doesnt make pretty reading.... Maybe not all down to the English fellow after all?..... maybe he saw the writing on the wall or just maybe he really DID have to return home. Either way it would seem the performance or lack of was not down to him.....
There have been a couple of other senior bods that were there at season's start that are not there now, and their charges have not gone quicker since the departure.