Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3139503)   #26
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Generals Army View Post
Really?? Rampant cheating, no crowds, terrible tv coverage
Rampant cheating??? It's not my fault Holden shanked the 93 season, then had a major sook about it. Crowds? I'd like some evidence of "no crowds", before taking it as fact. Me thinks the 94 ATCC PI round, despite ****ing down all day, drew a higher than the 500 last year, run on a clear, dry day. The only thing bad about the tv coverage (in vic) was that it's delayed til late at night. The same **** happens now. It's just with the extra digital tv channels, there's an out..

[QUOTE=The Generals Army;3139465] Actually crowd sizes say otherwise for a sport that plays once every couple of weeks[/QUOTE]Come on, I want to see some facts? I don't mean "Townsville has drawn a bigger crowd now, than before Cochrane came on..." Wouldn't surprise me if something like that was said.

Cbf with all the other stuff you wrote. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3139512)   #27
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Tony's letter:

"So many in the media I could fill pages naming but importantly Bruce McWilliam, Simon Francis and Kerry Stokes at 7, the scribes Gordon Lomas, James Phelps and Bruce Newton, even Foges, our own Cole Hitchcock, the commentary team Matty, Beretts, MS and Larko – all clowns but professional clowns!! John McAlpine and David White who shared the early vision. Harto of course – a true legend. Leckie, boy I miss those arguments mate and your passion!

"

Not a Crompton fan?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3139573)   #28
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
And looking after his wallet and destroying ground rootes in Australia to get the taxi to were there are today.

Yes as a motorsport fan I am happy to see the taxis as a big player sport, but he did do alot of damage to other catagory's along the way.

sounds a lot like what has happened over the ditch. V8s are a good drawcard, but not the 'be all and end all'. too much exposure to one class is often at the detriment of other classes.

my guess would be Archers have decided he commanded a too bigger pay packet ????
Old 21 Sep 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3139580)   #29
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Funny the parallels, eh?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3139585)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Funny the parallels, eh?
its not really true though is it
Old 21 Sep 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3139590)   #31
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Funny the parallels, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its not really true though is it
no, they are both very likable operators who beat around the bush to get results
Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3139621)   #32
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And looking after his wallet and destroying ground rootes in Australia to get the taxi to were there are today.

Yes as a motorsport fan I am happy to see the taxis as a big player sport, but he did do alot of damage to other catagory's along the way.
I am by no way his biggest fan but I think even his harshest critics have to admit he has promoted the sport to a level that was previously not there.

As for damage to other categorys, in his defense, his job wasn't to promote all categorys & motorsport in general. V8SCA was what was paying him so that is where his loyalty lied. I think he has done a pretty good job for the category he was remunerated to promote.

Tony probably has more money than he can spend & a pretty smokin hot, younger wife so Im sure he will enjoy his retirement!
Old 21 Sep 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3139645)   #33
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt05 View Post
Although I don't agree 100% with everything he has done or the way he has gone about it, the guy has delivered on the vast majority of his promises and taken the sport from being amateur at best to one of the bigger sports in Australia.

Without his input would we really have events like Adelaide, Townsville etc? Would we have the amount of live coverage?

Cast your mind to 96 when we were lucky to see 2 hours of non-Bathurst TV coverage if at all.

I personally think it is a sad day for the sport and would like to thank him for his input.
Agree with everything except the last line. I think this is a chance for a 'face of the sport' and some new approaches.

He's done a very good job, but this is an opportunity for the sport to grow and improve without his dominant personality in the mix.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3139649)   #34
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having read more posts, here are some of Cochrane (and his team's) achievements:
- For over a decade you can watch every round of the ATCC/V8s before midnight ona Sunday night in Melbourne. That started with TC's first TV deal.
- Being a professional racing car driver is now a viable career path. Before 1996 there were only 3-4 seats not filled by owner-drivers
- Fans are guaranteed the same number of cars at every round. Remember back in the day when 12 turned up at Barbagallo round in the mid 90s.
- Bathurst is now far more pleasant for campers. It's organised at the top so you don't have 25 blokes in a single campsite, you don't have idiots roping off the best viewing areas. Far better organised and managed than the ARDC ever did.
- The Bathurst pit building was due almost entirely to TC. This was a long-overdue infrastructure deal.
- He genuinely fought for a better deal for his category. A lot of the professionalism that is now in the V8s has filtered down to other categories, both as far as teams and category organisation.
- V8 Events put on bloody good events.

I could easily match that list with things that I feel he did wrong, but most of those mistakes were still made with the category's best interests at heart. Overall, he's been a success.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3139701)   #35
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cochrane HAS had some positive influence on the sport. However, for my two bobs worth, I still recall the halcyon days of the Amscar series, and even now, relish going to Lakeside to watch 26 Excels swapping positions lap after lap. I love the V8's, but I simply wish we could revert to a more entertaining, and full, support racing format, as in years gone by . . . anyways, TC, it's been a blast
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3139714)   #36
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe TC can take over the FIA Touring Car Commission now that he has some free time
Old 21 Sep 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3139736)   #37
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting time to anounce, straight after the Erebus deal and before Bathurst. I would have thought he would wait until after a new TV deal had been done?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3139743)   #38
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Interesting time to anounce, straight after the Erebus deal and before Bathurst. I would have thought he would wait until after a new TV deal had been done?
Maybe Archer didnt like it too much when channel 9 revealed that everything TC had been saying about the 3 big channels fighting for the tv rights was a complete lie since channel 9 had zero contact with v8supercars at that point.

I wont deny his achievements but i will be extremely glad to see him go. He has admitted many times he is not a motoracing fan as such and has lied to and bullied anyone who stands in his path.

In the most recent history he threatened teams that if their drivers took part in the new zealand supertourer endurance races there would be consequences. This is just the latest of many disgusting events.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3139795)   #39
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post
Maybe Archer didnt like it too much when channel 9 revealed that everything TC had been saying about the 3 big channels fighting for the tv rights was a complete lie since channel 9 had zero contact with v8supercars at that point.

I wont deny his achievements but i will be extremely glad to see him go. He has admitted many times he is not a motoracing fan as such and has lied to and bullied anyone who stands in his path.

In the most recent history he threatened teams that if their drivers took part in the new zealand supertourer endurance races there would be consequences. This is just the latest of many disgusting events.
Hang on - Geoff Browne from Channel 9 was directly quoted on at least 2 occasions that they were interested in the V8s. Whether there was official negotiations or anything like that, I don't know, but C9 entered themselves into the conversation.

Why TC's going I don't know, but I don't believe he was lying about interest from all 3 as C7 is keen to keep them and C10 is keen to get them.

And I don't remember him saying he wasn't a motorsport fan? He may not have claimed to have been an expert, but I've heard him say he was a fan several times. At the very least he was passionate about V8 Supercars and doing the best for that category.

That we have more than one television station interested in covering it is in no small part credit to him.

As for his tactics - I certainly don't agree with all of them. He had a very unpleasant streak as well and he certainly broke a lot of eggs to make his omlette.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3139797)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
As for his tactics - I certainly don't agree with all of them. He had a very unpleasant streak as well and he certainly broke a lot of eggs to make his omlette.
Some of those eggs were rotten though and needed breaking

Like Channel 7
Like some of the tracks (maybe all)
Like the government
Old 22 Sep 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3139834)   #41
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Having read more posts, here are some of Cochrane (and his team's) achievements:
- For over a decade you can watch every round of the ATCC/V8s before midnight ona Sunday night in Melbourne. That started with TC's first TV deal.
So, for one city/state, he made a little difference. The same thing happens now, except there's now digital channels available. Nothing to do with him.

Quote:
- Being a professional racing car driver is now a viable career path. Before 1996 there were only 3-4 seats not filled by owner-drivers
Beneficial to only a dozen, 2 dozen people. Those "professional" drivers are also barely "professional".

Quote:
- Fans are guaranteed the same number of cars at every round. Remember back in the day when 12 turned up at Barbagallo round in the mid 90s.
I thought this was bs when I read it. So I looked up some of my books (Aus motor racing year). From 92 to 96, the smallest grid for Wanneroo was 16 in 92, which was the only time it was that low. Fair enough with it being the last year of GpA. 11 turned up for 91. With 11 starters, Wanneroo wasn't alone, 11 turned up to Mallala. The biggest field for the 91 season was 15. So, you're kind of making up "facts". Nothing to credit him here.

Quote:
- Bathurst is now far more pleasant for campers. It's organised at the top so you don't have 25 blokes in a single campsite, you don't have idiots roping off the best viewing areas. Far better organised and managed than the ARDC ever did.
I can pay this. I have no idea why something wasn't done before.

Quote:
- The Bathurst pit building was due almost entirely to TC. This was a long-overdue infrastructure deal.
- He genuinely fought for a better deal for his category. A lot of the professionalism that is now in the V8s has filtered down to other categories, both as far as teams and category organisation.
- V8 Events put on bloody good events.
Far more expensive as well. I love seeing the destruction of fford, as a result of this "professionalism". Contributed to stuffing up the Porsche Cup, for the pile of poo that is the Carrera Cup.

He's a massive flog.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3139841)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
So, for one city/state, he made a little difference. The same thing happens now, except there's now digital channels available. Nothing to do with him.

Why do you discount digital TV, nearly the whole country has it now, why do you discount live coverage of every race on saturday and sunday

Beneficial to only a dozen, 2 dozen people. Those "professional" drivers are also barely "professional".

Beneficial to the 16,000 people now employed in motorsport in Australia (that was TC stat, i cant reference anything else, but at any point i can easily support 1000)

I thought this was bs when I read it. So I looked up some of my books (Aus motor racing year). From 92 to 96, the smallest grid for Wanneroo was 16 in 92, which was the only time it was that low. Fair enough with it being the last year of GpA. 11 turned up for 91. With 11 starters, Wanneroo wasn't alone, 11 turned up to Mallala. The biggest field for the 91 season was 15. So, you're kind of making up "facts". Nothing to credit him here.

If your book is so good, prehaps you can tell us the average amount of car competiin in the ATCC in 96 before he took over, start with PI

I can pay this. I have no idea why something wasn't done before.

Far more expensive as well. I love seeing the destruction of fford, as a result of this "professionalism". Contributed to stuffing up the Porsche Cup, for the pile of poo that is the Carrera Cup.

How did he stuff porche cup, is formula ford his fault and does it really matter,
Funnily enough there are now two people competiing at the top level of open wheelers, there were none when he started, we now have a driver competiting in NASCAR as well, there are two aussies competing in Indycar, clearly there is a better path to the top now, than when he started. your theory would blame that on TC

National level classes have increased since he took over, they are just different

He's a massive flog. certainly an intelligent observation
just some responses
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3139847)   #43
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Funnily enough there are now two people competiing at the top level of open wheelers, there were none when he started, we now have a driver competiting in NASCAR as well, there are two aussies competing in Indycar, clearly there is a better path to the top now, than when he started. your theory would blame that on TC

National level classes have increased since he took over, they are just different
Mate are you kidding?

Are you suggesting that more Australians are racing overseas thanks to Tony Cochrane and V8SA?????? I would be keen to hear peoples thoughts on this but I would think we have now less Australians competing internationally?

And to suggest that Mark Webber, Will Power and Chris Atkinson are now racing in their relevant international categories due to the impact of TC and V8SA might be the most bemusing post I have ever seen in the forum.

Marcos Ambrose has definitely benefited from the Ford association from V8SA to NASCAR however he had been competing internationally prior to this.

Also more National categories isnt a positive thing or it hasnt been in Australia. The Quality over Quantity theory hasnt been implemented here, to our detriment.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3139850)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Mate are you kidding?

Are you suggesting that more Australians are racing overseas thanks to Tony Cochrane and V8SA?????? I would be keen to hear peoples thoughts on this but I would think we have now less Australians competing internationally?

And to suggest that Mark Webber, Will Power and Chris Atkinson are now racing in their relevant international categories due to the impact of TC and V8SA might be the most bemusing post I have ever seen in the forum.

Marcos Ambrose has definitely benefited from the Ford association from V8SA to NASCAR however he had been competing internationally prior to this.

Also more National categories isnt a positive thing or it hasnt been in Australia. The Quality over Quantity theory hasnt been implemented here, to our detriment.

If TC is responsible for perceived levels of decline , then he is responsible for the positives as well.

They cant be seperated

Why is more national categories not a positive thing, sounds like you want less racing, less people competing, less people interested in the sport
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3139853)   #45
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
I read your post peckstar. I'm watching footy, will be back later.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3139859)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The most logical thing here is to read an outsider's view on the change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFR Weekend Edition, Sep 22-23 2012, p8 NEWS, by Ben Holgate, John Stensholt & Anthony Macdonald
V8 chairman resigns

V8 Supercars executive chairman Tony Cochrane announced on Friday he was resigning at the end of the 2012 season, in a move believed to be forced by the sport's majority owner, Archer Capital.

Mr Cochrane's resignation comes less than 18 months after the private equity outfit paid $180 million for a 60 per cent stake in v8s. The V8 teams own 35 per cent and Mr Cochrane 5 per cent.

Mr Cochrane will keep his share and stay on as a consultany for at least another two years, helping with special projects including the sport's push into overseas markets such as the United States.

A V8 spokesman said that the resignation would not affect broadcast negotiations, which are being led by chief executive David Malone.

Incumbent broadcaster Seven Network was surprised by the move.

V8Supercars is trying to finalise a new five-year media rights deal starting from next year but it is failing to ignite competition among TV broadcasters. It has been reported Mr Cochrane was seeking up to $60 million a year, almost double the estimated $32 million a year the sport currently receives. Fox Sports Australia owns pay TV rights, and Telstra digital rights.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Sep 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3140037)   #47
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time, he was supposed to bowing aout 3 or more uears ago.

He has done some good, but there has a been a huge staff turn-over and that represents the attitiude of senior managment. I think he is getting stale, I don't believe he has to full respect of the teams either.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3140117)   #48
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In this morning Sunday Telegraph the Wiggle is being poached to run ( and destroy ) the NRL now, they claiming him as one of the best Sports Administator in the country.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Sep 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3140124)   #49
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In this morning Sunday Telegraph the Wiggle is being poached to run ( and destroy ) the NRL now, they claiming him as one of the best Sports Administator in the country.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226479452156

I didn't read that story as TC being headhunted, more like him doing some self promotion. As mentioned in the last couple of paragraphs.....
"Cochrane's name was put forward by News Limited officials, but he was knocked back by Queensland-based power brokers. "I was certainly interested in the role," Cochrane confirmed earlier this year.
"But it wasn't to be."
Old 23 Sep 2012, 02:51 (Ref:3140129)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lets get serious for a moment... for a sporting category that needs an entrepreneurial spirit, where galvanising the teams is required, to push forward into new territories, new markets, new sponsorships and the like... where there is little day to day operational structure to be accountable to or for.. Mr Cochrane would undoubtedly be your man.. with the caveat that like all people of vision, that a band of more than competent merry men and women to execute the strategies are also in the building

It is not unusual for someone used to being their own boss for so many years is not willing or able to live within the confines of reporting on a daily basis to other masters.

Arguably Mr Cochrane is a victim of his own success in building the sport, finding a different parent, and executing the sale...

I am not sure the NRL gig would fit Mr Cochrane's world... but FFA might go closer, given enough latitude by the fundsholder...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods