Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3164970)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
You are all forgetting Lewis wants to become a global brand

Rubbish...
Old 10 Nov 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3164973)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A 'Rubbish' global brand?
Old 10 Nov 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3164977)   #28
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You you you...u
Old 12 Nov 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3165393)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That is very good! Well done sir!
Old 12 Nov 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3165452)   #30
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's just a case of Whitmarsh playing "I told you so" mind games.McLaren are trying to sow the seeds of doubt before the 2013 season has even started, hoping Hamilton will carry "mental anguish" with him.

McLaren cocked up and are looking for any way to bring their boy back "home".
Old 12 Nov 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3165455)   #31
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to admit these comments have improved my opinion of Whitmarsh. I used to think he was a bit of a pussy.

The words coming out of Hamilton's mouth lately have been good. Talk of relishing the challenge and so on. I'm just not sure who is placing those words in his mouth...

As for Montoya, talented? Yeah he can drive quick, but so can hundreds of other people. He's spending his time banger racing now isn't he?
Old 12 Nov 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3165459)   #32
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, Montoya. Excellent driver who could wipe the floor with all-comers when in the right mood. Unfortunately that was usually only for one or two races a season.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3165517)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they have been together a long time so its only natural that regrets exist on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
The words coming out of Hamilton's mouth lately have been good. Talk of relishing the challenge and so on. I'm just not sure who is placing those words in his mouth...
moving out of mom and dad's basement often forces a person to grow a bit. maybe its something he has been told to say but i am hopeful that by acting that way in the heat of the moment was a good show of maturity on his part, one which i agree we havent always seen from him.

besides if things dont work out at Merc he might have to come back and ask for his old room back.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3165669)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
they have been together a long time so its only natural that regrets exist on both sides.

moving out of mom and dad's basement often forces a person to grow a bit. maybe its something he has been told to say but i am hopeful that by acting that way in the heat of the moment was a good show of maturity on his part, one which i agree we havent always seen from him.

besides if things dont work out at Merc he might have to come back and ask for his old room back.
Wonder what the rent will be? (He thinks the last salary offer was low!)
Old 13 Nov 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3165693)   #35
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"MW: We made Lewis an offer - an offer, which I believe is more money than any other driver at the moment is being paid. "

Sounds like they wanted to keep him pretty bad. Wonder what button thinks when he reads that.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3165785)   #36
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
"MW: We made Lewis an offer - an offer, which I believe is more money than any other driver at the moment is being paid. "

Sounds like they wanted to keep him pretty bad. Wonder what button thinks when he reads that.
Playing devils advocate here: Maybe MW means that the salary they offered Lewis for next year was higher than any driver is being paid for the 2012 season but the same as they're going to pay Jenson next year?
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3165800)   #37
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton has regrets because McLaren say he does.

Now....losing him, and signing Perez, is what I call regret.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3165861)   #38
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FWIW, I think Hamilton may feel somewhat apprehensive, but not have regrets.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3165875)   #39
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Hamilton has regrets because McLaren say he does.

Now....losing him, and signing Perez, is what I call regret.
Regrets because they lost Hamilton or regrets because they signed Perez ?
Old 13 Nov 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3165880)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i saw an interview with lewis over the abu dhabi gp weekend on the bbc and the way he reacted when they asked him if he had any regrets about leaving a fast car behind for one that right now isn't very fast says yes, obviously. i thought he answered that very well.

havig said that, i don't think it's regrets per se, but you can bet your arse he'll miss having a car that does what you ask it to, and goes quickly too. he might have regrets when the engineering team work differently and he has to adapt the way he's always worked, but if he's mature enough to do that then i'm sure they won't last long at all.

regrets are a tradeoff aren't they? if you miss more something from the past more than you enjoy your current challenge and its different qualities then it's a regret that you didn't stick with it. otherwise it's just different.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3165906)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post

According to F1Racing, which proberbly isn't totally accurate, but not far wrong, they originally offerered $12.5 m, then raised it to $13.9 m (they said he's currently on $15 m which is roughly what Alonso and Vettel are rumoured to be earning).

Fwiw, they said that Merc's offer is $19.5 m.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3165912)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its silly that F1 driver salaries are not made public.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3165953)   #43
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
How so? Surely a driver (or anyone for that matter) is entitled to privacy over their earnings?
Old 13 Nov 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3165980)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's none of our business. Unless we own the team.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3165992)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
no one else thinks it odd that the length and terms of F1 driver contracts are secret? this is really basic info for every other pro sport.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3165999)   #46
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Every other pro sport? Perhaps some in the USA, but not the rest of the world. I can think of loads of professional sports where contracts and salaries are kept more or less private.

Which after all is as it should be. Top line remuneration for sporting prowess is vulgar.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3166001)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
true maybe its a n.american thing, but i always though all football made wages/retainers known. anyways i cant think of any sport examples where terms are as secret as F1. if there are loads of examples then please share and ill admit its not silly.

also its not some of our sports its all of them, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFL, Nascar, Golf, MLS,Tennis, Boxing, UFC...actually im pretty sure all of these get reported directly by the team, their unions, organization, or events.

is this really that weird of a thing to want to know because we talk about this stuff a lot on here?

Last edited by chillibowl; 13 Nov 2012 at 20:43. Reason: forgot to add.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3166005)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wanting to know? That is different to having a right to know.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3166012)   #49
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Since we are already mentioning Montoya and Hamilton in the same sentence. Wouldn't that be an awesome combination? They both have/had aggresive styles and they have basicly nuked the F3000/GP2 seasons they were in respectivly. Also the stats seems so similar, Hamilton ruled the GP2 season and didnt really have a competition. His best GP2 race was the stunning Turkey race. Montoya did have some competition from Nick Heidfeld though, but the F3000 race at Pau 1998 is even more stunning than Hamiltons turkey race (JPM lapped the whole field).

Anyway, its hard to face the facts that JPM is probably sitting in his home, eating hamburgers with his family and thinking about the next "Go Left-Go Left-Go Left" race...
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3166014)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
no one else thinks it odd that the length and terms of F1 driver contracts are secret? this is really basic info for every other pro sport.

Not in the slightest. What has it got to do with us?