Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3221143)   #26
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, the initial getaway wasn't great. Has Mark said anything about which aspect of his starts is problematic? How can the "second stage" of the getaway be the issue? I would've thought wheelspin off the line would be the main potential problem.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3221162)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting article.

So it's not his fault after all. It's Ron's fault.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3221217)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Yeah, the initial getaway wasn't great. Has Mark said anything about which aspect of his starts is problematic? How can the "second stage" of the getaway be the issue? I would've thought wheelspin off the line would be the main potential problem.
Well you can still spin the wheels after the initial start if you bodge the gearchange or apply the KERS in a Horlicks-like fashion. Not to mention other variables like tyres, temperature and all that jazz.

I suppose the start procedure isn't really over until you get into the mid-higher gears and build up some momentum.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3221232)   #29
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Mclaren Electronic Systems say the problem was with Red Bull's systems not the ECU (which seems to have worked perfectly well for 21 other cars).
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106136
Old 19 Mar 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3221246)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was him! -> <- !mih saw tI

It'd be nice if they didn't work this out in the press, wouldn't it?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3221255)   #31
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if you look at how Mark talks and the interviews he gives, he's a pretty straight up bloke, he holds his hands up and says "I've made a mess of that", he's doesn't seem to have any issue holding his hands up, I've seem him do it last year and/or the year before where he did say "I need to work on my starts", there is no point in blaming something else as the team will know about it so he's kidding no-one, so if he /the team say "it was $X problem" it seems reasonable to believe that.

he's got a seat in F1 because he's earned it/people believe he's the best man for the job, so no point or need calling for someone else to be in the seat as he drove a pretty good race considering he had no KERS and has done on various occasions.

It's the first race of the season, lets see what happens, I think Mark is aware of the problems he's had with starts and just needs to understand what he can do to make it better and remove any technical problems that hinder him
Old 19 Mar 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3221441)   #32
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Some explanation maybe:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...-1226601123196
Old 19 Mar 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3221451)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Now courtesy of the spec formula, you can't even ditch the dodgy supplier!
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3221462)   #34
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder, Did Kovalainen and Bourdais get that kind of apology for their software failures back in 2008? Seems like it's just because "It's a Red Bull".
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3221463)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a red bull at his home gp, more like
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3221464)   #36
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Kind of renders the previous two pages, bagging someone based on one start this season and ignoring the explanations of people who actually know (including the very open and honest driver), rather pointless and misguided...
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3221468)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a clown outfit McLaren are, spoiling Mark's starts for 11 years and only just realising.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 03:46 (Ref:3221522)   #38
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Kind of renders the previous two pages, bagging someone based on one start this season and ignoring the explanations of people who actually know (including the very open and honest driver), rather pointless and misguided...
well, it explains one bad one but he does have many many more ... I think thats the theme of the thread.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 04:42 (Ref:3221529)   #39
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
well, it explains one bad one but he does have many many more ... I think thats the theme of the thread.
He does... And it has been discussed ad nauseum in here.

This thread was prompted by one start this season, and used as an opportunity to jump back on to him - despite the team's and his almost immediate explanations for what occurred.

He has had terrible starts throughout his career, and may well continue to do so... I just find it ridiculous for everyone to jump on him, firstly, without knowing what happened, and secondly, continuing to do so despite every explanation given by Mark, Red Bull and, now, McLaren...
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3221590)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I could have started this thread any time and still got the same reaction from you mac tbf.

It is nothing personal, just genuinely curious as to the reasons behind Mark's starts. Just because this particular one wasn't entirely down to him (he still messed up partially himself anyways) doesn't render the question invalid.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3221670)   #41
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is nothing personal, just genuinely curious as to the reasons behind Mark's starts. Just because this particular one wasn't entirely down to him (he still messed up partially himself anyways) doesn't render the question invalid.
It does when the topic has been done to death on this forum before

If Webber has a shocker all on his own this weekend, go for it, but considering Red Bull & McLaren have both backed Webber up on this, to start this thread in the manner it was started is ridiculous....
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3221680)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

A quick forum search for Mark Webber threads throws up one related to starts. This one.

So can we just discuss the subject at hand rather than giving it this victim mentality?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3221692)   #43
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is a solid guy, reasonable driver etc. The one thing he just can't seem to shake is bad luck. It has been around for a long time.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3221929)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

So can we just discuss the subject at hand rather than giving it this victim mentality?
That's a good guideline for the forum generally. Tempted to stick that in my sig.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3221981)   #45
mac
Veteran

Quote:
I could have started this thread any time and still got the same reaction from you mac tbf.
Absolutely untrue... I do like Mark - more for the fact that he's not full of s*** than anything - but I've criticised him in the past, including for his starts...

Also my theory that when tyres and tyrewear are a critical factor, Webber struggles - his driving style is naturally hard on tyres.

So, while you're preaching forum etiquette, please don't paint me as some blinded "fanboy" (I hate that word), as a way of dismissing my point of view as being invalid, simply because it is contrary to yours...

Now... Back on topic (if we're not being specific). Yes, Mark's starts have traditionally been quite bad... He's put his hand up on the issue and worked on it with the team - let's see if it's made a difference (because we've got no real evidence yet this season).

Good to be back, Knowlesy...

I eagerly await your completely randomly inspired thread titled "Why Does Mark's Car Never Have KERS?"

Last edited by mac; 20 Mar 2013 at 22:45.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3222054)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Your point of view is not invalid. But the thread premise was fine. I am simply interested as to why Mark has always struggled with starts. It would be great to know the theory behind it.

In this instance it would seem his car was knobbled, I grant you. However, in years previously...

Is it technique or psychology? Or both?
Old 21 Mar 2013, 04:04 (Ref:3222077)   #47
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you suggest Mac, it wouldn't be the F1 forum if Knowlsey wasn't Webber bashing!

But in his defence, we all acknowledge that his track record is lest than ideal, so lets flip it here

When has Webber ever had a blinder start.
And I mean a real blinder where like most other drivers have every now and again - jumping two rows kind of start. Alonso seems to do this all the time, even from his Renault days
Old 21 Mar 2013, 05:24 (Ref:3222085)   #48
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
As you suggest Mac, it wouldn't be the F1 forum if Knowlsey wasn't Webber bashing!
Old 21 Mar 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3222128)   #49
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Webber is a solid guy, reasonable driver etc. The one thing he just can't seem to shake is bad luck. It has been around for a long time.
The 'Mark Webber bad luck' argument cracks me up every time!

Since he's been at Red Bull, I'd say Webber and Vettel have been equally unlucky. In 2010 though he had a ridiculous amount of good fortune. His teammate lost something like 65 points due to mechanical problems on his car. Mark lost none. He should have retired from the Singapore GP when Hamilton ran into him but still came 3rd. He made a complete hash of Korea and Abu Dhabi and lost the title.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3222267)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Similar to the DC bad luck argument.