Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Sep 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3298468)   #26
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, TR doesnt need to take a RB product if no one is ready yet. Thye did take Bourdais, Luizzi to name two which did not come from the RB ladder. As RB picked the right driver in DC and Webber, so can TR if the one meant for the seat underperforms when his time is due... I would like TR to give another young gun a chance if da Costa doesnt step up.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3298474)   #27
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They call always ring Frijns, they have his phone. Who knows, after so many no he might say yes this time
Old 5 Sep 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3299288)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
They call always ring Frijns, they have his phone. Who knows, after so many no he might say yes this time
And he might well bite their arms off to grab it this time!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3299364)   #29
ace007
Racer

Arrogance has indeed a very heavy price tag sometimes...
Old 5 Sep 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3299385)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's not arrogance when you're that good, to be fair. it's just matter of fact. he isn't saying "i'm the best i can be", he's saying "i'm better than anyone else". one is willing to, and does learn. the other thinks he has no more to learn. and *that* is arrogance. frijns is happy to learn - he picked up the best way to manage the gp2 tyres after struggling early season, for example.

however, if you're viewing him from an opinion that you formed last season whilst he was bird's opposition then i can see why you'd find him arrogant, especially with the way he handled the shenanigans at silverstone and barcelona. i think silverstone in particular just made him even more defensive of his driving and abilities, and when you're completely aware of how talented you are in the first place, that comes off as arrogance.

(context: i think he was over-assertive on track last year. haven't forgiven him for barcelona, and he was disappointing in the awkward conditions at paul ricard)
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3299450)   #31
ace007
Racer

I am glad you are referring to last year as it is exactly there that he disappointed me. I was genuinely impressed with him until his WSR campaign was full underway. Fast in qualy, not the sharpest to overtake but very solid indeed - Then, from mid-season onwards, probably being afraid of loosing rather than keeping the line he found, he just started to drive dirty, within himself just to keep in touch with the title - way before the Barcelona final. "Nobody overtakes me on the outside" used to be his line to the drivers last year... Well, I am glad he moved on from that idea now. If anything, GP2 teaches you humility...

But arrogance comes also when you allow yourself to turn down an offer coming from RB. Understanding today's market and acknowledging the resources and power of RB is crucial. In his case, it is not arrogance but total foolishness!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3299466)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? i think there's a lot of drawbacks to the red bull thing, particularly if you're carving an already successful and prominent career for yourself.

if you're right at the beginning of a career coming out of karting or perhaps after a year of frenault, or it's beginning to get difficult to maintain the kind of momentum that f1 needs to see then it really is ideal. the timing was spectacularly good for da costa, for example, and obviously it worked well with vettel, vergne and ricciardo at the other ends of their careers.

i mean you obviously have to tailor your own ambitions, expectations, situation etc to the world you're living in, but to be fair to him f1 has changed so much in the past 18 months, especially outside of the big manufacturer teams with a decent funding situation. it was a gamble at the time, but given that he would have probably found it difficult to be as submissive as they require their juniors to be it was a wise one all the same. imo, anyway
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3299515)   #33
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not only Frijns who said No to Marko, I think it's always a big No to him rather than Red Bull. Nasr also had Red Bull backing while winning FBMW and I'm sure others refused it and never mentioned it.
When you fall out with Marko, you usually fall out from the F1 radar. Which is what most drivers and their families are afraid off.
Red Bull's program can be fantastic, but without this guy. Only Lukoil's "program" can rival it for illogical decisions.