Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3280400)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Our "Elected representatives" are at present running for cover from attacks by the local branch of the Murdoch Press. The State Government has refused to contribute to restoration of the beaches, which bring us tourist income all year round and are under attack.
The local "Elected representatives" are only informed about the likelihood of their own re-election. And there are a lot of people locally who think this is more about seats in S and SW Brisbane than seats on the Coast that they take for granted.
oih dear the big bad murdoch press. the boogie man is coming. Murdoch runs the world. I'm so scared

let me tell you im coming to the Gold coast latter this year. Wasnt aware it even had a beach, thats not the reason im coming
Old 22 Jul 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3280402)   #27
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
oih dear the big bad murdoch press. the boogie man is coming. Murdoch runs the world. I'm so scared

let me tell you im coming to the Gold coast latter this year. Wasnt aware it even had a beach, thats not the reason im coming
You didn't know that the Gold Coast has a beach ? Peck, you really need to get out more.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3280403)   #28
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The local "Elected representatives" are only informed about the likelihood of their own re-election. And there are a lot of people locally who think this is more about seats in S and SW Brisbane than seats on the Coast that they take for granted.
I hate to break it to you but this is true of all "elected representatives", local, state and federal...

I like the original latin translation for Politics.

poli = many
tics = bloody sucking creatures

I rest my case.

Old 22 Jul 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3280407)   #29
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I reckon its awesome that the sport has managed to eke out business partnerships with the various governments, to inject money into providing otherwise unavailable events like Townsville, like Gold Coast Indy, like Homebush.

From a motorsport perspective, its great the money isnt going to AFL or NRL or FFA or any other sport...
Is that unavailable?

Or unviable?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 22 Jul 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3280408)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Is that unavailable?
Townsville is an interesting example because the facilities built with Govt funding ARE used year round, and the tourism certainly helps the region.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3280425)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Is that unavailable?

Or unviable?
Without the government money, these events are unavailable. Nobody would put money up to a loss making venture forever..

Governments however need to look at the macro picture, of the tourism and economic benefits to the locations where the motor racing events happen, across the long term.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Jul 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3280430)   #32
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
apparently the V8's brought $32 Mil to the Local Economy for the Townsville 400, much higher than what they first predicted.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3280434)   #33
hdt05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
hdt05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DRT - the Sydney event (in your eyes) may not achieve objectives. I, however enjoy going every year. I bring my and the group I go with's money down each and spend it in Sydney which we will continue to do for as long as the race is held and I can afford it.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3280502)   #34
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Any charges laid yet? Any convictions? No? Amazing...
They haven't managed to charge or convict Obeid, McDonald or anyone else over the mining lease rorts, so zero chance of anything to do with Homebush. V8Supercars main worry will be the withdrawal of funding.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3280503)   #35
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
HA! where's all the Doomsayers now? busy eating some humble pie me thinks
Not doomsaying, but who's gonna make up the $2m shortfall???

Cost cutting on infrastructure no doubt will happen, but how much will the teams/Archer have to cop in lost revenue or additional expenses?
Old 23 Jul 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3280672)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt05 View Post
DRT - the Sydney event (in your eyes) may not achieve objectives. I, however enjoy going every year. I bring my and the group I go with's money down each and spend it in Sydney which we will continue to do for as long as the race is held and I can afford it.
Not only in my eyes. The event from year 1 never has the KPI's in terms of attendance, interstate visitors, economic impact that were put forward as part of the proposal.

With this in mind, why would and should the government back the race?
Old 23 Jul 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3280691)   #37
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Not only in my eyes. The event from year 1 never has the KPI's in terms of attendance, interstate visitors, economic impact that were put forward as part of the proposal.

With this in mind, why would and should the government back the race?
Why not? Let's just say for now that you're right - it may not have met the KPIs you refer to but if it has still generated results in those areas and it could still be suitable for govt investment - just at a potentially lower level than the current deal. There are plenty of events that generate no measurable KPIs and the govt still invest in them - guess we'll find out soon enough.

DRT, I've seen your posts in the Indycar section and you constantly demand that posters back up any claims they make in terms of falling attendance etc with published facts. Maybe you'd like to do that in this instance and provide us with links to the original KPIs and what the outcomes have been in those areas?
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3280720)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Why not? Let's just say for now that you're right - it may not have met the KPIs you refer to but if it has still generated results in those areas and it could still be suitable for govt investment - just at a potentially lower level than the current deal.
A lower level? V8SA were asking for an increase following last years event as they were losing over $2million a year on the event.

Quote:
DRT, I've seen your posts in the Indycar section and you constantly demand that posters back up any claims they make in terms of falling attendance etc with published facts. Maybe you'd like to do that in this instance and provide us with links to the original KPIs and what the outcomes have been in those areas?
Fair play with the reference of sources and I would encourage you to get in on the chat in the Indycar forum.I am running out the door now however have located the below source which references the 2010 Auditor General report into the event - which I'll link for you tonight or tomorrow morning.

For now have a look at this from v8xmagazine
http://www.v8xmagazine.com.au/index....potlight-again

Quote:
Kaye is calling for the event to be moved to the recently redeveloped Eastern Creek; pushing the Liberal government to consider the switch with a motion he will introduce into the Senate in the new year.

"The NSW Auditor-General's 2010 report hammered the lack of value for money and Labor's flawed negotiations tactics involved in the V8s Supercars contract," he says.

Despite another massive promotion push from V8 Supercars in the Sydney market, the 2011 Sydney Telstra 500 weekend crowd of 172,267 was down on last season's 180,000 and the first year's 184,000.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3280797)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
May I respectfully suggest that since this thread is about the continued support for events in Queensland, discussion of Sydney is off topic? I know I'm a Pom, but my geography is good enough to know that's in a different state.

Thank you.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3281041)   #40
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
They haven't managed to charge or convict Obeid, McDonald or anyone else over the mining lease rorts, so zero chance of anything to do with Homebush. V8Supercars main worry will be the withdrawal of funding.
Yes, but ICAC isn't finished yet. MacDonald was back before them yesterday.

Unfortunately V8SC is forever linked with MacDonald and that stain is not one that's easily or quickly removed.

I'm glad the Townsville & GC races are saved - they made sense economically.

But I can say that as someone who doesn't pay rates/taxes in Qld. Those who do like OldTony have far more right to comment on its viability than we do, so perhaps a little bit more respect could be shown.

Oh, and by the way peckstar - re: the 'big bad Murdoch press' - the main reason Homebush ever got over the line (other than the secret payments to MacDonald) was John Hartigan and Kerry Stokes personally lobbied the premier at the time after Tourism NSW knocked back the proposal. And that's in a 2-paper major city.

SE Qld only has Murdoch daily papers - no Fairfax - so has far more influence than in NSW.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3281047)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If/when V8Supercar signs a new deal for renewal with the NSW Government, anything to do with Ian McDonald and any alleged goings on will become irrelevant.

And I agree with Woolley, NSW should have its own thread
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Jul 2013, 03:21 (Ref:3281338)   #42
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
HDT05 - as for the Homebush event, lets hope not. That event has been even more of a flop against its pre event objectives than the Gold Coast.
I cannot understand why it has been a flop, unless the KPIs against which success are being measured are too ambitious. As an event attendee on multiple occasions, my opinion is that it is the best motorsport venue I have been to, including the GP. The infrastructure is worlds ahead of what we have at Wakefield and Eastern Creek (and formerly at Oran Park and Amaroo), there are non-car related activities for family members of all ages, and the event is accessible by public transport from nearly every corner of Sydney, which is far more than can be said for EC / SMP. Plus the place doesn’t reek of garbage.

I’m not surprised attendance figures were slightly down last year as it was diabolically hot, which personally kept me away despite having spent the money on a top grandstand ticket. Not exactly the organisers’ fault that extraordinary weather occurs on that day (as it did with the rain a few years earlier).