Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Oct 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3468057)   #26
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycar can always return to Australia but not the Gold Coast as the road course they used now has tram oops( light rail) tracks running down it would suggest Adelaide where F1 used too run before moving to Melbourne and if they could run in early February when the V8 Supercars have their opening race problem solved in looking for supports.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3468062)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I would say so, but motorsport bosses are usually a bit more selfish.

IndyCar at Montreal has one thing lacking: a Quebecois driver.
The WEC/ACO crew have some sort of relationship with the France Family. WEC/ACO wouldn't know the Indycar people from Adam on the otherhand. That's also why it wouldn't happen. And while I don't think it would be much of a loss for WEC to have them sharing the bill, there isn't much of an incentive to do so each either. Indycar would love it though.

Last edited by Paradise City; 24 Oct 2014 at 20:44.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3468274)   #28
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Baltimore was off'd for some Labour Day/NFL nonsense.
No, the Baltimore race ended because of the debts the city built up from the costs of the annual track construction work.

But the title-sponsored Shell Grand Prix of Houston didn't get a time slot on the calendar anymore for 2015 because of the belief that ending the season on Labour Day was the way to go.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3468276)   #29
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Indycar can always return to Australia but not the Gold Coast as the road course they used now has tram oops( light rail) tracks running down it would suggest Adelaide where F1 used too run before moving to Melbourne and if they could run in early February when the V8 Supercars have their opening race problem solved in looking for supports.
IndyCars at Adelaide would be great.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3468359)   #30
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re: laguna seca

i was told this week that when sears point did their deal with the irl there was a clause in the deal that keeps laguna from having one too.

end of story in my eyes.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3468416)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Indycar can always return to Australia but not the Gold Coast as the road course they used now has tram oops( light rail) tracks
No problem, IndyCar could handle those at Baltimore
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3468678)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc sproule View Post
i was told this week that when sears point did their deal with the irl there was a clause in the deal that keeps laguna from having one too.

end of story in my eyes.
Whether true or not, that's the sort of blinkered deal I'd expect the IRL to get themselves into.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3468684)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Whether true or not, that's the sort of blinkered deal I'd expect the IRL to get themselves into.
Only the IRL?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3468692)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Only the IRL?
This is about IndyCar, not F1.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3468718)   #35
Mies7337
Racer

Netherlands
Hoek van Holland
Mies7337 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missing the Indycar races sooo bad. I'm missing the common sense rules and penalties in the Indycar if you watch other series, where nothing seems logical. Why is there only 5 months of racing?
It's a shame that sonoma and laguna seca can't be both on the calendar, both are exellent tracks for the current series.
Australia has more great tracks than just Adelaide, Philip Island is great as well.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3468732)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This business of ending the season early because of the NFL is ridiculous. It presupposes all IndyCar fans are NFL fans and will suddenly stop watching or attending races as soon as the NFL season starts.

The alternative is to start the season early, with races in South America and Australia.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 17:12 (Ref:3468754)   #37
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would say so, but motorsport bosses are usually a bit more selfish.

IndyCar at Montreal has one thing lacking: a Quebecois driver.
That is a disadvantage, although I'm sure Tagliani or maybe even Villeneuve could be tapped for a one-off.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3468884)   #38
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The V8 Supercars lap the current Gold Coast track in about 70 seconds - presume IndyCar would lap it in around 55 seconds, is that a long enough lap for a street circuit?
Would be great if it came back, especially seeing that a Queenslander in the current champion
Old 27 Oct 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3469084)   #39
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
The V8 Supercars lap the current Gold Coast track in about 70 seconds - presume IndyCar would lap it in around 55 seconds, is that a long enough lap for a street circuit?
Would be great if it came back, especially seeing that a Queenslander in the current champion
That's pretty short - Toronto and Houston are both about a minute per lap, the others (St. Pete, Long Beach, Baltimore RIP, Detroit) are longer.

Then again, we have ovals with really short lap times... so why not?

Last edited by rwintle; 27 Oct 2014 at 14:41. Reason: carelessness :)
Old 27 Oct 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3469098)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Having Will Power as champion is a great marketing gift and opportunity but do IndyCar capitalise on it, no.

There are currently a number of Colombian drivers in IndyCar but does IndyCar look to having a race in Colombia? We all know what Bernie would do, he'd get Tilke to build one of his featureless Dromes and then charge the Colombians $25m per race, over a 5 - 7 year contract.

Common IndyCar, there's a ready made market out there that is simply being ignored.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3469120)   #41
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With the way the braintrust at 16th and Georgetown epically burned their bridges with the Surfer's promotor who would want to deal with them?
Old 31 Oct 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3470267)   #42
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
With the way the braintrust at 16th and Georgetown epically burned their bridges with the Surfer's promotor who would want to deal with them?
That burning of bridges is at the very core of the current scheduling problems, I'd say.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3470332)   #43
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No problem, IndyCar could handle those at Baltimore
But could they handle the overhead power poles in the middle of the tracks.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 02:03 (Ref:3470635)   #44
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
then just run the short circuit the V8's do....
Old 2 Nov 2014, 05:04 (Ref:3470710)   #45
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Two of the three best overtaking points on the full circuit are on the "extension". Even the DW12 would have difficulty making any real dent in that issue. It just doesn't make sense to run them on the short course.

I think Philip Island would be the best course for IndyCar. Also, I can't see Bernie allowing them in at Albert Park while F1 is still there.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 05:12 (Ref:3470715)   #46
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
PI would be excellent for every asphalt series.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3473477)   #47
gloomerize
Rookie

Scotland
Forfar
gloomerize should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm curious, what are the chances of a Montréal (at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve*) race ever happening? At least, so long as IndyCar has this attitude? If they won't hold races in Dallas and Houston, what does that say for Toronto and Montréal? The latter two are 100 miles further apart than the former, but they'd be aiming for similar demographic, no? I appreciate that Montréal does open up to New England also, but that has its own issue: Providence. So long as that rumour keeps resurfacing (Québec City too...) I can't see Montréal getting a race. (Unless IndyCar really wants that New England/Québec market!) It's a shame because the DW12s would be awesome at Gilles Villeneuve.

If another Canadian race were to appear, it'd have to appear in the West, right? If that Pacific Northwest (or Southwest in Canada) market is left untapped, i.e. no Portland, Vancouver would be good. But that won't happen. Edmonton and/or Calgary? But if demographic expansion is their thing, I'm not sure what Alberta, Montana and Saskatchewan will do for that. Plus Edmonton last held a race there in 2012(?) so it's not a new market, as such.

Idk, basically. IndyCar scheduling is as bizarre to me as F1's business model.

*I only say this because I have no idea if a street race would be possibly in Montréal and it seems somewhat relevant to the thread. Plus I'm suspending reality somewhat and putting it in a universe where F1 would be totally fine with a race there, there are no circuit day restrictions and sanction fees won't be an issue etc etc.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3473554)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomerize View Post
I'm curious, what are the chances of a Montréal (at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve*) race ever happening? At least, so long as IndyCar has this attitude? If they won't hold races in Dallas and Houston, what does that say for Toronto and Montréal? The latter two are 100 miles further apart than the former, but they'd be aiming for similar demographic, no? I appreciate that Montréal does open up to New England also, but that has its own issue: Providence. So long as that rumour keeps resurfacing (Québec City too...) I can't see Montréal getting a race. (Unless IndyCar really wants that New England/Québec market!) It's a shame because the DW12s would be awesome at Gilles Villeneuve.

If another Canadian race were to appear, it'd have to appear in the West, right? If that Pacific Northwest (or Southwest in Canada) market is left untapped, i.e. no Portland, Vancouver would be good. But that won't happen. Edmonton and/or Calgary? But if demographic expansion is their thing, I'm not sure what Alberta, Montana and Saskatchewan will do for that. Plus Edmonton last held a race there in 2012(?) so it's not a new market, as such.

*I only say this because I have no idea if a street race would be possibly in Montréal and it seems somewhat relevant to the thread. Plus I'm suspending reality somewhat and putting it in a universe where F1 would be totally fine with a race there, there are no circuit day restrictions and sanction fees won't be an issue etc etc.
I don't think Indycar are trying to troll us by us not going to the classic tracks.

They can't go because the cash isn't there.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 00:57 (Ref:3473566)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomerize View Post

The perennial problem, as always, is the lack of TV audiences and venue attendace, which is not an attractive proposition to potential sponsors. They are also worried by the NFL, hence the very short and crammed season this year.

Next season will start ealier as IndyCar attempts to expand internationally, with the Brazillia race but if they really want to expand the schedule, why not start the season in Australian and utilise their South American fan base, particularly Colombia.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3473568)   #50
gloomerize
Rookie

Scotland
Forfar
gloomerize should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think Indycar are trying to troll us by us not going to the classic tracks.

They can't go because the cash isn't there.
Oh, I wasn't trying to suggest they're trying to troll us. Just that perhaps Montréal isn't being mooted because Providence and/or Québec City have been rumoured (since forever) as it would go against their "we can't have x races in market x because that means we're not expa..." etc.

"We can't go to Austin/Elkhart Lake/Laguna Seca because we already go to Dallas/Milwaukee/Sonoma" sounds better than "We can't go because we have no money..." even if everybody knows which is the truth.