Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Nov 2001, 13:56 (Ref:173255)   #26
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beer Baron, I know that several short tracks have graduated banking in their turns, for example, Tuson Raceway Park, in Arizona. The banking is less steep in the bottom lane, then graduates with degree of steepness as you move into the higher lanes. The banking isn't that steep, overall on this track, but then neither are the speeds very high. A flatter track works for short tracks because the speeds aren't that high, meaning aero does not factor into it, and you can pass on the flatter short tracks. On a superspeedway however, I'm not sure it would work. Speeds are much higher, and the varying degrees of banking, might cause problems. If you remember, when TMS was opened, it had two seperate sets of banking in the turns, 24 degrees for the stock cars, and a lower degree of banking for the open-wheel cars. This caused allot of problems, and accidents in the first race, so they redesigned the turns, and make the banking a uniformed 24 degrees. Now one thing they could do would be to bank the first and second, and third and forth turns differently. Darlington and Rockingham both have this situation. Rockingham is banked 23 degrees in one set of turns and 25 degrees in the other, Darlington is similar, though I don't remember the degrees of banking. This would work, but would create headaches for the crewchiefs, because just like at Darlington and Rockingham, they would have to figure out how to set the car up, either to get through turns 1 and 2, or get through 3 and 4. Would be intresting for the fans though.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 00:09 (Ref:173470)   #27
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what I meant, each turn has different banking, that way the guy in front with the best car doesn't get it all his own way, also puts emphasis on the driver to make up for the handling deficiency.

With the cars having more available aero downforce, the reliance on clean air is greater, so the guy behind suffers! If he gets too close he can't make the turn.

The more headaches for crewchiefs the more guys that are competetive throughout the race.

If NASCAR wants to finish the season at Homestead, they better make the racing more exciting!

When CART ran homestead they had the same problem, and the fans never returned, leading to CART's departure!
Old 12 Nov 2001, 01:17 (Ref:173485)   #28
Lee
Racer

If they did it, it would prove to be intresting. Maybe go 24 degrees in turns one and two, and 22 degrees in three and four, or would it be better the other way around? BTW, Benny repeted his statement that there needs to be banking again, and used the same illustration.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 17:49 (Ref:173683)   #29
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I don't think it would matter, well if your favourite driver has the better car through 3&4 you couldn't care less

6 degrees is less than Indy and I think the turns at homestead are much tighter, !

A good crowd remains on hand at Homestead despite the relative lack of side-by-side racing!

Homestead has plenty of time during the summer to redevelop it, more banking and let's go racing!!!!!!
Old 12 Nov 2001, 21:34 (Ref:173807)   #30
Lee
Racer

Agreed. The stands looked pretty full, from what I saw. They attracted a big crowd, even with the lack-luster racing. They have more than a year now to fix the track, since there isn't really such a thing as winter in that part of Florida. As you say, build the banking, and let's go racing!
Old 12 Nov 2001, 23:58 (Ref:173848)   #31
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The current configuration isn't worthy of the season finale!
Hopefully it'll be next year!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 03:28 (Ref:173892)   #32
Lee
Racer

I fully agree.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 13:35 (Ref:173990)   #33
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I fully agree.
I'll second that!

If they're going to make the season finale perhaps adding in a few more seats

Well I suppose getting the banking raised is eneough for now!