Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:07 (Ref:260169)   #26
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To say that Montoya is slow compared to Ralf is a little far fetched. I would say it's more a case of them being evenly matched with Ralf having the upper hand at the moment.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:27 (Ref:260181)   #27
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a tough track that doesn't seem to suit some drivers and or cars. If you look at the back of the grid Yoong failed to break the 107% by some margin, yet qualified at the other races this year.

If my memory serves me correctly, JPM had a rather subdued Imola race last year (no doubt someone will put me right on this!)

He looked strangely muted this race, I was expecting his usual 'blast from the start' - which didn't materialise, instead followed by total obscurity in the race.

You would have thought that the kerbs of Imola would have suited his press on, attacking style.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:36 (Ref:260186)   #28
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing how things change from race to race. If JPM wins the next one all will be rosey again. It's pathetic. By the way what is this about JPM being a whiner!? I've heard nothing but a load of media over hyping.

Also "he's the next Senna/Schu he/they were always quick. Ralf only came good as far as maturity is concerned when he joined Williams. Before that he was a bit of a Sato driving into his team mate race after race. Experts at the time were commenting that he was only in the sport because of his name and that he wouldn't be around very long. Look how things change. You don't loose talent after one weekend. This is the first race this year that Ralf has outpaced JPM over a full weekend so where all this is coming from I don't know.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:54 (Ref:260205)   #29
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if two drivers are in the same car, they do definitely not always have equal machinery. Montoya's car was set up for wet conditions, while Ralf's was set up for dry. Now, ask yourself: Did we see much rain today? It's a pity that some Ralf fans feel so insecure about "their" man that they have to bad mouth his team mate all the time (yes, it's shining through).
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:06 (Ref:260209)   #30
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
everything turns around all the time . some people can't see further than the end of their arm !! . Juan is top class ,but he had a bad day today with his set up choice . Ralf is bloody good , he had a better day today . Even though Michael has got bags of talent he must be frightened of being beaten or is very insecure as he had to steal rubens car today !

you see , they all have there little dramas
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:29 (Ref:260226)   #31
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They sure do, and TGF is boring to watch when he is out ahead on his own. He is fun to watch when he's being pressured, because then we get to see what he's made of (and this is not a slick reference to Jerez 97 and the like).

I want to see racing, not just someone who's parading around in front all alone.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:11 (Ref:260321)   #32
f1canada
Rookie

f1canada should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM

Let me start by saying that Im not a fan of JMP. Yet, to be sure, on this side of the pond anyway, he has legions of fans, and esp. in the US, due to his CART career and his truely overrated Indy 500 win. That said, it seems to me that maybe he is a little overrated, and just maybe, Ralf a little underrated. Remember when he was a Williams test driver, during the Jacques V era, he was very rarely as quick as JV in testing...
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:17 (Ref:260323)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by f1canada
his truely overrated Indy 500 win.
how was it over rated.....winning the indy 500 in his rookie attempt is hardly over rated!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:00 (Ref:260347)   #34
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

how was it over rated.....winning the indy 500 in his rookie attempt is hardly over rated!
And, he didn't just win, he WHUPPED 'em silly.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:10 (Ref:260356)   #35
R
Veteran

Indycars are more basic race cars, without most of the technological gizmos of the F1 cars - an Indycar favour the driver more than current F1 cars do.

Montoya would have shone in the 80s and early 90s when he would have been right up there with Senna and Prost. In today's cars it is a lot more difficult for a driver like him to stand out. The driver input is really small. TGF can do it because he has the entire team built around him, and is in the best car. It is tougher for Montoya. He will still be great though.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:39 (Ref:260421)   #36
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Re: JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by f1canada
Remember when he was a Williams test driver, during the Jacques V era, he was very rarely as quick as JV in testing...
Testing has never and will never be a fair representation of form or talent. Pre-2001 season testing showed Prost on form and this year Mclaren set the pace. Often the opposite happens. As is clear with JPM.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:29 (Ref:260454)   #37
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition, drivers and testers try different setups and different components on testing sessions. Not a fair comparisson, Mr. F1Canada.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:47 (Ref:260468)   #38
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One bad race, and everyone now turns on JPM.

Yeah, true fans. Pathetic really.

I bet most were probably just waiting for this so they could slag him off.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 23:47 (Ref:260469)   #39
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
If it ain't buggered.....

......don't fix it. Aparently after the car went so well at morning warm up, JPM's team decided to make a couple of minor alterations to the set up, and the rest is history. Also, teh track temp was 21 degrees which didn't help. But let's face it, the F2002 was just too good on teh day.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 00:19 (Ref:260487)   #40
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Not the warm up lap, the initiation lap to the grid (when they do run at full pace or close to it).
If this is the case, why did'nt they fix it on the grid? :confused:

I'm not sure about understeering problems, wet set-ups or little green men peddling from the inside of the car. In the end it does'nt matter. Worse case senario, is the Monty had 1 bad race. Not exactly a nail in his career coffin.

Also, the above circumstances would'nt have changed the result. Ralf would have got the jump at the start (from the clean side) and Monty would have finished 4th anyway. A gap of 20 seconds or 2 seconds would still have brought home 3 points.

And while we should'nt read anything into JPM's performance today, it should be noted that Ralf was faster, for whatever reason, once again.

Can anyone here give an unbiased honest opinion?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 00:26 (Ref:260489)   #41
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Ralf was faster today. Ralf drove the better race. JPM had a bad day. Bad set-up or not, JPM would have finished behind his team-mate.

Why is the concept so difficult to accept by everyone?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 01:14 (Ref:260539)   #42
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without starting another bunfight, is it just urban myth that all Ralf's team mates have been faster than him? Anyone got the figures (Qualifying/fastest laps)- particularly second half of seasons? Has anyone here done a comparison of drivers over the last few years eg Fisi faster than Ralf, Ralf faster than so and so etc - would be interesting for someone with good computer skills - not me!

Last edited by Rick; 15 Apr 2002 at 01:16.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:01 (Ref:260609)   #43
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

And while we should'nt read anything into JPM's performance today, it should be noted that Ralf was faster, for whatever reason, once again.

Can anyone here give an unbiased honest opinion?
WREX, I did in my post directly above yours. It seems that the revised settings upset the balance of the car.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 08:57 (Ref:260734)   #44
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Wrex; As I said in the rest of the post the team decided to leave the car and put the problem down to a cold set of tyres (the car was fine in warm up as JPM was 3rd quickest only a couple of tenths down on the Ferraris) . They assumed this would self correct itself after a few laps but it never happened.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:47 (Ref:261109)   #45
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but Hakkinen IS themost boring person on the face of this earth.... More so even than Minardifan!!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:15 (Ref:261650)   #46
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Yes, Ralf was faster today. Ralf drove the better race. JPM had a bad day. Bad set-up or not, JPM would have finished behind his team-mate.

Why is the concept so difficult to accept by everyone?
Its not hard to accept, what is hard to accept is the assumption that on the basis of yesterday's performance, he's worthless.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:20 (Ref:261652)   #47
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Its not hard to accept, what is hard to accept is the assumption that on the basis of yesterday's performance, he's worthless.
It would be nice if some of the die-hard Monty lovers also accept the opposite of that - dont you think EERO?

Rem last year when all the vultures came out for Ralf just because he had a poor end to the season?

I havent forgotten that - and I doubt whether a lot of Ralf fans have either. But anyway, you have a point - Montoya isent a bunny behind the wheel - he's just not as fast as Ralf.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:23 (Ref:261657)   #48
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly, but if it was Monty and Shu fightin' for position, you know Monty would have a go. Unlike Shu Jr.
Overall Monty is a far better racer than Shu Jr is.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:29 (Ref:261664)   #49
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can keep dreaming on that one J.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:34 (Ref:261671)   #50
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep dreamin' on what one?

Even Stevie Wonder can see that Monty is better than Shu Jr.
I'll bet you that Monty will lift the Champ trophy before Shu Jr does, and while Big Shu is still around Shu Jr will never lift that trophy.