Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2002, 11:27 (Ref:402675)   #26
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not F1, but an accident wich happened in the F1 preshow at Suzuka, the driver was taken to hospital with a broken vertebrae, the car also nearly hit one of Bernie's cameramen!

http://members.home.nl/haikob/Crash_...rprogramma.avi
Old 13 Oct 2002, 11:48 (Ref:402696)   #27
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Holy ****!

How on earth did he survive that? And that cameraman won't be buying a lottery ticket, he just used up all his luck in avoiding getting hit.

Goes to prove that even in the junior categories the difference between life and death is miniscule.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 11:54 (Ref:402707)   #28
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agg, I can't watch the video, can someone post a picture or a screenshot?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:06 (Ref:402722)   #29
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard this was a bad one.........barrel rolled at spoon curve into the catch fencing or something.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:402728)   #30
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to change subjects but did Toyota confirm "driver error" for Mc Nish accident

Guy
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:01 (Ref:402888)   #31
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordi, try installing the Divx plugin( www.divx.com)
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:27 (Ref:402908)   #32
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jeez, both the driver AND the cameraman were ****ing lucky is all i can say. i would hate being the cameraman, seeing an airbourne car coming towards you extremely fast and a wheel looking menacing and not being able to do anything. did that wheel just skim the cameraman's left-hand side???

i hope the guy driving doesn't remember that shunt because it was ho-riffic, airbourne and cartwheeling, dissorientated and just waiting for the HUGE bang. i also out of sheer curiosity, after people talking about McNish's shunt in F3000, so i downloaded it, watched it and wish i hadn't. that was simply unbeleivable how violent and gory that was.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:39 (Ref:402918)   #33
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That wasn't that bad of a crash, Zanardi's crash was something else for sure
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:54 (Ref:402933)   #34
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i might do that , i couldnt download it either...it said couldnt find the right codec.

i might try divx too
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:27 (Ref:402943)   #35
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it at last, it was one helluva crash for sure, very spectacular
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:33 (Ref:402949)   #36
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Not a really bad crash , but could have been , i remember once standing on the exit at Paddock Hill Bend having Kristan Kolby coming towards my direction at rather a alarming speed....he flew striaght over the gravel trap and hardly scrubbed any speed off at all before he hit the armco...all tiny pieces of the front end of the car showered over me and i was a fair way back from the fence...i took a pic of him coming towards me at speed as he flew across the gravel trap , Dont know why , but i did !
Attached Thumbnails
kolby 1.jpg  
Old 13 Oct 2002, 19:54 (Ref:403098)   #37
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know where there is a video clip on McNish's crash as I haven't seen it yet...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:04 (Ref:403110)   #38
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i think this is it Andy .

http://home.arcor.de/f1onboard/mcnish.avi
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:08 (Ref:403117)   #39
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Read that that dude (Nagaya) broke his 6th vertibrae(or however its called in english) with that crash, and its unsure if he's paralyzed or not...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:08 (Ref:403118)   #40
ASCII Man
Veteran

So it might be more serious than it looks
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:11 (Ref:403120)   #41
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
it was such a horrendous crash.....it just seemed to go on forever !..
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:13 (Ref:403121)   #42
ASCII Man
Veteran

First time i saw a car fly that far
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:14 (Ref:403123)   #43
ASCII Man
Veteran

4 flips! 6 in total!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:29 (Ref:403141)   #44
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Suzuka '96

Yoong Montoya,

Quote:
Didn't Johnny Herbert have a similar accident in his last grand prix which was caused by suspension failure?
I'm not sure about his last race,but I have the Suzuka '96 qualifying session on video and Herbert had an enormous accident while exiting the 130R.

Herbert suffered a monumental accident when he lost control at the exit of the daunting 130R corner,which the Sauber drivers,at that time,took at 170 mph.

Herbert rode on to the kerb on the exit,and reckoned he must have hit a damp patch.The car spun towards the inside wall,then snapped back towards the outside,where it bounced into the wall,and back across the track,coming to a rest on the inside,with most of the extremities wiped off.

It would have been enough to leave you or me a quivering wreck for days but Grand Prix drivers are made of sterner stuff than that,and as Johnny Herbert hopped out of the car,it was clear he was hardly daunted at all,let alone injured in ay way.

'It's something you don't want to do every day,'said a calm Herbert,'but I scrubbed a lot of speed off before I hit the wall,and all the head protection in the cockpit helped a lot.I was more annoyed than anything else,because I knew I was going to hit something and lose that car,the spare was set up for Frentzen.'

I was looking at both Herbert's accident at Suzuka that year and McNish's accident yesterday and they are both similar in the way that both drivers were caught out.The two of them tried to catch the back of their cars as they were violently snapped out of line,and Herbert's car was demolished in much the same way McNish's was.

I think we are fotunate to have had only one accident at that corner as there were a few anxious moments there over the weekend.Raikkonen almost lost it exting the 130R during practice,and Sato was on the absolute limit through there during qualifying.

Tye
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:40 (Ref:403149)   #45
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is the most frightening crash I have ever seen! How the hell can a car fly that long and SO HIGH!! He is a lucky man to have even survived that one... CRIKEY!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:59 (Ref:403162)   #46
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a pretty horrific crash.

But back to McNish and the fact that he is damned lucky to be alive. I cannot recall a car punching through the Armco, except perhaps Cevert and Konigg, and those were fatal crashes. Wrex' graphic makes the point pretty compellingly-two of the driver's photograhed in Melbourne would be dead by today if we look at statistics. There were seasons in which 3 drivers died and some in which none died. It was difficult to be a fan in those days. And to go back to Senna's crash, what made it so difficult to believe was the routine nature of the accident; we had seen plenty of drivers walk away from similar crashes.

Every time I bemoan the the antiseptic tracks and the lack of character to the cars, I haul myself up short and recall the sad litany of deaths and I know that I NEVER want to relive those days.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:21 (Ref:403262)   #47
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Every time I bemoan the the antiseptic tracks and the lack of character to the cars, I haul myself up short and recall the sad litany of deaths and I know that I NEVER want to relive those days.
Well, 130R demonstrated that a corner can be dauting and be unchanged with tyres and safety measures. Tamburello could have stayed the same with gravel traps/asphalt and with 9 rows of tyres like Eau Rouge.

BTW prayers go out to Mr. Nagaya, I hope he isn't left paralyzed.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 12:20 (Ref:403746)   #48
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its only the fatalities which are remembered, Italy 00, Australia 01. But others are not. Spa 98 could have been much worse, Schu/Coul 98, you see the wheel just fly off bloody quickly, without any second thought, Even MSchumachers 01 roll in practice could have had a wheel lost and very very very easily flown into the crowd.
Raikkonen/Alesi 01 Japan, all four wheels so very closely missed oncoming cars, and jumped over the fence.
Alex Wurz at Monaco 98, the wheel just flew over the fence, you see it hit something and marshalls just ducked, nobody thought anything else about it.

I cannot conclude

Tom.